Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Post by Lhisa »

Sahansdal wrote: 05 May 2019, 22:50
Lhisa wrote: 02 May 2019, 17:30 Christianity is a faith that is based on faith. One book will never be able to shake the foundation of the true believers. The Bible itself tells you that there will be many that will question the faith and God so Christians are brought up in the faith to expect others to question their beliefs. Philosophers and atheists have been doing so for many years and yet Christianity has not died.
It also says there is "nothing new under the sun" - Ecclesiastes 1:9. And God desires mercy, not sacrifice - Hosea 6:6. So, you tell me, how can a NEW Testament that says God sacrificed his own SON be the Way?
In order for the sins of man to be washed away, a sacrifice had to be made. The sacrifice was God's way of showing that he loved us equally, that he was willing to give up what he loved most for our salvation. Please remember that this was a sacrifice in which Jesus was willing to make for the sake of our souls. He was meant to be the last sacrifice to show us the way to redemption. And God never forced Jesus to do this, and it does not mean that it was an easy choice for him either, if you read when the part of the Bible that illuminates the crucifixion of Christ, it states that the skies rained blood and there were earthquakes at the moment when Jesus died. No father would be immune to the death of their child.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

I do not believe this book will have any impact on Christianity. If the many books on history and evidence of the validity of the Christian Bible have not eneded Islam or Buddhism, it is safe to say this one commentary will have no impact to the beliefs of Christians.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

allbooked+ wrote: 02 May 2019, 07:35 I do not feel that this author will do much to end Christianity or further his own direction. I got the feeling that furthering himself is his intention - and that he thinks very highly of himself and his work (rightly so with all the effort he gave it) in being able to accomplish his mission. Christianity is more than a he said/she said situation though and there are educated writings on all sides of this issue. Faith is more than what any book can show you.
Well stated, Faith is more than what any book can show you. You can lead a horse to water...
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I do not believe that any one book will end Christianity. . There have b=n many books written that have tried to hurt Christianity but none have had a major effect yet.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Like others have said, I don't think it's possible for a single book to take down a long-standing and incredibly popular religion. It might convince a few people to reevaluate their beliefs, but I'm not sure anything could ever systematically destroy Christianity as a religion and organization.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

klballard wrote: 02 May 2019, 06:40 It’d be impossible for a single book to end Christianity. The Bible has been the most published book of all time while being the most persecuted book of all time. Christianity has survived Emperor Nero, Gnosticism, book burning, criminalization, Richard Dawkins, etc. One book might change a few minds, but it’ll do nothing to Christianity as a whole because Christianity isn’t about facts, rules, or a book, it’s about a changed life from a Person who rose from the grave. No book can counter someone’s experience.
Amen. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Books like this come and go, but the Bible is forever.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I do not believe that - even if that is what the author intends to do - he will succeed to end Christianity with just a book. Christianity has been around for so many years, and it's not easy to end it that easily.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

LOL i don't want to insult you, bro, but a book with 9 reviews will never mark the end of anything. Let alone a religion that shaped the architecture, structures and traditions of the entire world for more than 2000 years.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

Why would it end Christianity? It is not denying the existence of Jesus or his teachings as such. It only analyzes the portrayal of Judas, and the fact that maybe he was not entirely the villain the Church tends to portray him. In my opinion, it is nothing new here. There have been books and movies referring to similar ideas in the past. Like "Stigmata" or even "Da Vinci Code".
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

lucia_kizas wrote: 09 May 2019, 08:29 Why would it end Christianity? It is not denying the existence of Jesus or his teachings as such. It only analyzes the portrayal of Judas, and the fact that maybe he was not entirely the villain the Church tends to portray him. In my opinion, it is nothing new here. There have been books and movies referring to similar ideas in the past. Like "Stigmata" or even "Da Vinci Code".
Very wll put. The book does not seek to destroy christiqnity, but attempts to broaden the perspective concerning a single character.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

lucia_kizas wrote: 09 May 2019, 08:29 Why would it end Christianity? It is not denying the existence of Jesus or his teachings as such. It only analyzes the portrayal of Judas, and the fact that maybe he was not entirely the villain the Church tends to portray him. In my opinion, it is nothing new here. There have been books and movies referring to similar ideas in the past. Like "Stigmata" or even "Da Vinci Code".
I tend to disagree. Accepting Christ as your Savior is the only way to gain salvation according to Christianity. When the author tries to portray Judas as a misunderstood character he is indirectly attacking Christianity.
Last edited by gali on 09 May 2019, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited out a rude remark
ccundall2130
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Currently Reading: Atonement to a Greater God
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccundall2130.html
Latest Review: Should I" Go Walkabout" in Australia by John Timms
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by ccundall2130 »

I agree with several, this book will not do much to end Christianity. Christianity is a faith based on thousands of years of belief and teachings. Religion is passed from generation to generation, for the most part. Unfortunately, not enough people do their own research as adults to decide what THEY personally believe. I think this book is another tool to get people to think about a possible alternative. It wouldn't be much different than a Christian exploring Buddhism or Islam. I am open minded but apparently not enough to read this book in it's entirety. I prefer to read books that answer the questions I already have, not create a whole new line of questions in my mind that might make me question my faith. Maybe in time, I will be brave enough to check it out.
Crystal Cundall

Asking if I like reading is like asking if I like breathing.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

This book will not end Christianity. If this contradicts what people believe, they will say it is wrong or evil. It is hard to change people's minds even with proof.
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

Janalyn101 wrote: 02 May 2019, 08:11 This book isn’t going to change a worldview on Jesus Christ and religion. It is a fact that Jesus Christ walked the earth perform miracles and was raised from the dead. It is just this authors opinion that Judis it’s comparable to Jesus in anyway.

In the past people have said the Bible proved that God condoned slavery, and that we should prosecute homosexuals and many other ridiculous claims.The bible can be interpreted in so many ways. Seemingly, so it suits are personal ideas at times. These are not at all anyone’s opinions in the free world. They are just relics of an unenlightened society. Just like those opinions, this book will eventually be a part of world history that most people are not aware of.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

While the author's motive is not clear, this appears to a work based on shaky ground. It may just sweep those who are not sure of their stand when it comes to where they stand on faith matters.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”