What is your take about the author?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: What is your take about the author?

Post by Uinto »

The author's work is commendable from the perspective of the research he's done towards his book. Additionally, the book extends the boundaries of religious debate.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 15 May 2019, 03:40 I don't think the author is a Christian at all , more like he's against it. If he is a Christian, it's a betrayal to the Christian faith and the believers.
It isn't a question of being for or against anything. There is new information available! I tried to show how scholars missed it and why it is so critically important. Judas is a stand-in for James. He was a Master, a savior, one of many. It has always been this way. Christianity is an abberation.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 05:11
Kibetious wrote: 02 May 2019, 04:44
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 May 2019, 03:26

I think betrayal would have been the reaction, and I think the author is way open to new ways of thinking.
It sounds like betrayal but I am sure that with the rise in relativism, most many not really care about his beliefs as long as they know the truth.
I get your point but i think many people will determine the authenticity of his claims by first determining who he is as far as religion is concerned.
I'm a Satsangi with the Radha Soami Satsang Beas.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

briellejee wrote: 12 May 2019, 06:53 If the author is a Christian, I could say that he will be marked as an outcast. Growing up in the church, elders will surely label him as someone evil since his faith about the Scripture has been corrupted. I think of him as someone ultimately curious. But telling people to believe his research about Judas is something I didn't like.
Look at the new pope. Soon he will make an statement quoting "Misreading Judas". :lol2: :lol2:
Tiffanyli
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyli.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tiffanyli »

It's everyones right to believe in whatever they choose to believe. But if he's Christian, it would definitely be a big surprise to me. His take on is almost a 180 on Christianity. He has a right to believe whatever he wants and it's hard to say how somoene who was highly religious would react to his opinion. But I don't think that they would be able to have a happy conversation about their opposing beliefs.
Essie_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essie-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Essie_Reviews »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 02 May 2019, 04:29
juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 02:55 Having read that book, what do you think of the author? Is he religious? Is he a christian? What do you think the reaction of the church would have been if he is/was a christian?
I think betrayal would have been the reaction, and I think the author is way open to new ways of thinking.
I agree, the church would not accept his revelation. I feel as though the author is not overly religious otherwise he would not dig so deep to find all of these secrets.
I don't think that true, personally. If being religious means you aren't open to understanding the doctrine you're dedicating your life to, I think that's to call religious people one-dimensional and a lot of religious people think that's very ignorant. I hope he's religious because that bodes well for the religious community; showing that it's okay to be curious and to understand that you have every right to figure out what it is you're claiming to believe. To avert your eyes from the possibility that something is being taught wrong or that something that's stated couldn't possibly happen, inadvertently exposes the fact that one is aware that those things might exist. Isn't that in and of itself, doubt? A true believer would want to know what it is they're believing and then to accept what they find on their own terms. The author did just that.
Imagineering.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Essie_Reviews wrote: 15 May 2019, 21:43

I agree, the church would not accept his revelation. I feel as though the author is not overly religious otherwise he would not dig so deep to find all of these secrets.
I don't think that true, personally. If being religious means you aren't open to understanding the doctrine you're dedicating your life to, I think that's to call religious people one-dimensional and a lot of religious people think that's very ignorant. I hope he's religious because that bodes well for the religious community; showing that it's okay to be curious and to understand that you have every right to figure out what it is you're claiming to believe. To avert your eyes from the possibility that something is being taught wrong or that something that's stated couldn't possibly happen, inadvertently exposes the fact that one is aware that those things might exist. Isn't that in and of itself, doubt? A true believer would want to know what it is they're believing and then to accept what they find on their own terms. The author did just that.
Thanks.
Essie_Reviews wrote: 15 May 2019, 21:43
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 May 2019, 03:26 I think betrayal would have been the reaction, and I think the author is way open to new ways of thinking.
Thanks, Essie. I think so, too. I am very serious about my spirituality. I am an RSSB Satsangi, rssb.org.
I present brand new period evidence that was never known before. It blew my mind. I hope it finds its mark in someone with an ability I don't have to make it of some consequence.
Shade-Tree-Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shade-tree-reader.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Shade-Tree-Reader »

On is own Facebook page the author identifies himself as a "lifelong Christian." He is writing spiritual material so he should understand that his world view is entirely incompatible with Christianity, but he appears not to. I think he is trying very hard to make a name for himself in the gnostic world and is in way over his head.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Shade-Tree-Reader wrote: 16 May 2019, 15:04 On is own Facebook page the author identifies himself as a "lifelong Christian." He is writing spiritual material so he should understand that his world view is entirely incompatible with Christianity, but he appears not to. I think he is trying very hard to make a name for himself in the gnostic world and is in way over his head.
To the contrary, Shady, it is the so-called scholars of Gnosticism who are over-extended. I PRACTICE it, daily. I know very well what I am talking about, because I have a mystic Master who taught me well. rssb dot org.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

There is always curiosity in us to solve what we find most disturbing and the author could have stumbled on the Gospel of Judas and thought of writing this book. No one can be crucified for expressing their beliefs.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Shade-Tree-Reader wrote: 16 May 2019, 15:04 On is own Facebook page the author identifies himself as a "lifelong Christian." He is writing spiritual material so he should understand that his world view is entirely incompatible with Christianity, but he appears not to. I think he is trying very hard to make a name for himself in the gnostic world and is in way over his head.
I think Gnosticism and the true Gospel are incompatible. Trying to explain somethings is almost similar to trying to swim in a big ocean. Some questions cannot be answered now.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Renu G wrote: 02 May 2019, 05:34 The author had responded to my comment on LinkedIn by stating that the findings spell the end of Christianity. What nonsense!
Oh! Even though people have freedom of expression, that seems like blatant attack to Christianity.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Kibetious wrote: 17 May 2019, 03:14 There is always curiosity in us to solve what we find most disturbing and the author could have stumbled on the Gospel of Judas and thought of writing this book. No one can be crucified for expressing their beliefs.
That's right. I agree with you.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

To be honest, i think the author is very open minded; he presented uncompromised view of this judas and jesus' story. Or what i would call 'unsweetened' story.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Trying very hard ro make a name for himself while immune to the "turmoil" (20%) of readers of his book, unbelievable!! :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”