What is your take about the author?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Re: What is your take about the author?

Post by Renu G »

Fazzier wrote: 11 May 2019, 09:48
Renu G wrote: 02 May 2019, 05:34 The author had responded to my comment on LinkedIn by stating that the findings spell the end of Christianity. What nonsense!
I believe that the intention to obliterate God's word will never work. History has it. Take an example of the Roman Emperor, Diolectian, who in 303 C.E ordered the burning of the Scriptures. Did he succeed in destroying Christianity? I believe God has a way of protecting His word.
I agree!
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I do no think the author is a Christian. Everyone has the freewill to choose what to believe and what not to believe. The author's arguments however does not bring out Judas as he wants us to see.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Renu G wrote: 11 May 2019, 09:50
Renu G wrote: 02 May 2019, 05:34 The author had responded to my comment on LinkedIn by stating that the findings spell the end of Christianity. What nonsense!
I believe that the intention to obliterate God's word will never work. History has it. Take an example of the Roman Emperor, Diolectian, who in 303 C.E ordered the burning of the Scriptures. Did he succeed in destroying Christianity? I believe God has a way of protecting His word.
I agree!
I agree as well!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

Dragonsend wrote: 11 May 2019, 12:13

I agree!
I agree as well!
The author: God's Word is not the Bible, nor is it in it. How could it be that a book saves you? The Word is a living Presence. It is called 'Word,' same as "Name of the Lord," (OT) and "Apophasis Logos" (Gnostics) because is can actually be heard within. You can do it right now. Sit quietly with a thumb on the right ear and listen in a quiet room, best in the very early morning (left side is descending, right side is ascending, John 1:53; Malchus's right ear 'cut by the sword' in the Garden arrest scene is specifically mentioned and explained in my book). The Sound you hear is not tinitus, but the distant echoes of the Word.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 05:11
Kibetious wrote: 02 May 2019, 04:44
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 May 2019, 03:26

I think betrayal would have been the reaction, and I think the author is way open to new ways of thinking.
It sounds like betrayal but I am sure that with the rise in relativism, most many not really care about his beliefs as long as they know the truth.
I get your point but i think many people will determine the authenticity of his claims by first determining who he is as far as religion is concerned.
This is the author. I am 65, a 45-year Satsangi with the Radha Soami Satsang Beas, of Beas, India (rssb.org). My Master is Maharaj Charan Singh, 1918-1990. There is a new Master there now, the successor to my Master. This is how it was in the day of James and 'Christ.' I don't think there was a Jesus, since he is conspicuously missing from the historical record. All that exists is from believers, or Church sources, which are not reliable. I am a former Christian, but still live a 'Christian' life of discipline and caring. I do this for you. I have my salvation, and think everyone should know how it really works (John 6:40).
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Ellylion wrote: 02 May 2019, 09:11
Pure nonsense. It is every Christian's free will to believe in those findings and what they may represent or not :)
The author: I don't say you cannot believe. I know many do. I just say this is the facts, and you decide.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 02 May 2019, 09:30 Does it matter whether the author is religious or not, or what his motivation for writing this book may be? Surely a book should stand or fall on its own worth. If people think he has written a poor book, they should call him on it and say why they think this. Likewise if they think the book is a good one.
Thanks, Brendan. -- the Author
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Abacus wrote: 02 May 2019, 12:32 How can an honest debate based on historical documents be a betrayal. If the original story is true, no amount of debate will change it. If some of it is based on inaccurate translation, the sooner we understand an accurate translation, the better. I understand very well that if Robert Wahler has compared other writings of the time, and found that our truth is not completely truthful, then he would want to have light thrown on the comparisons.
It is mostly a matter of not taking the new texts from Nag Hammadi and Qumran seriously. The translations are really pretty good, with a few exceptions from lack of training in mysticism. But the interpretations, such as the Gospel of Judas with Judas - not Jesus! - as the real sacrifice, have been lacking. We can see where the idea of a sacrificed master got started. James was a threat to the Church, as successor Savior, and he had to be eliminated. He was, both in literature and in life. Paul KILLED him! (Pseudoclementine Recognitions, 1:70) Judas became his cover (Acts 1), along with 'Stephen' (Acts 7) and others. The entire 'Betrayal of Christ' is a coverup of James's mastership installation in the Apocalypses of James. It was just a profound Church propaganda campaign. -the Author
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Nerea wrote: 03 May 2019, 15:25 I think he wants to voice out his ideas and speculations about the divine truths. But his ideas are somewhat distorting and unreliable.
Nerea,

Would you please be specific? This is a members forum, and read by quite a few. You make a serious charge here. --the Author.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

katinabuchanan5 wrote: 03 May 2019, 22:18 I think that the author is intelligent and he has a valid inscription of what the text says in his heart. I think he has wisdom and he is very well versed. I understand his mentality like any other scholar and believe his entitled to his own frame of reference. The world needs more people who can step outside the mainstream culpability and model a solid individual with drive and compassion for the real.
Wow, thanks Katina! I did try. -the Author
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Shilpa Paul wrote: 04 May 2019, 01:57 I think since Robert Wahler is a follower of Radha Soami Satsang Beast, he must have come across people with different beliefs across the world. As a result he has an open approach and might have come across controversial information which intrigued him to research.
Shilpa Paul, Ha. I can seem like a Beast some days, getting up early to meditate every day. But it is Radha Soami Satsang BEAS, as in Beas, India. It is an agricultural town in northern India.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Shilpa Paul wrote: 04 May 2019, 01:57 I think since Robert Wahler is a follower of Radha Soami Satsang Beast, he must have come across people with different beliefs across the world. As a result he has an open approach and might have come across controversial information which intrigued him to research.
Shilpa Paul, Ha. I can seem like a Beast some days, getting up early to meditate every day. But it is Radha Soami Satsang BEAS, as in Beas, India. It is an agricultural town in northern India.
Dragonsend wrote: 11 May 2019, 12:13
Fazzier wrote: 11 May 2019, 09:48 I believe that the intention to obliterate God's word will never work. History has it. Take an example of the Roman Emperor, Diolectian, who in 303 C.E ordered the burning of the Scriptures. Did he succeed in destroying Christianity? I believe God has a way of protecting His word.
I agree!
I agree as well!
Scripture needs light, not fire. I intended to shed light. I do hope we move on from Christianity, but destroying it was not my intention.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

A G Darr wrote: 05 May 2019, 16:33 He has Gnostic beliefs and seems slightly hostile toward Christianity. His tone of voice in the book also sounded pompous at times. I do think he sounds intelligent, and like he did a significant amount of research on his subject. I don't completely dismiss everything he said in the book, but I was put off by his great dislike toward Christianity.
Christianity is like Godzilla. I'm the little Japanese guy poking it in the toe with a stick. I do feel over-matched sometimes. But what has been discovered in recent decades is brand new information that sheds light on New Testament origins. My research on the Gnostics is only a part of it. Dr. Robert Eisenman, with his Dead Sea Scrolls findings, is perhaps even more important, if for no other reason than he is a trained scholar and I am not. He is the one to first point out that 'Judas' is a cover for James, in Acts 1. (He also points out that 'Stephen' is a cover for James in Acts 7.) The New Testament is propaganda, not history. It is high time everyone realizes it. We have the proof now: long-lost texts from Nag Hammadi/Al Minya and Qumran. Christianity affects our entire Western culture. Just think gays, abortion, misogyny, religious freedom, etc. We all need to learn what happened and how it affects us all.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Quickstudy wrote: 05 May 2019, 10:02 I believe the author is Christan. I also believe he is asking the questions we all should . If you approach the Bible and stoies with a childlike curiosity and a informed evaluation, it may lead to these type of questions and others like it.
I would think the church would embrace his way of thinking and encourage him to teach others to evaluate the Bible themselves and come to them with their questions.
You know, I have given some though to going to the Church across the street and asking for equal time. ... Maybe not. I haven't the courage. Writing is easier than public speaking. I prefer having the time to organize my thoughts. This is big subject.
Summer_Moon
Currently Reading: The Jurassic Chronicles (Future Chronicles #15)
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-moon.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin
Reading Device: 1400697565

Post by Summer_Moon »

I do believe the author is religious, but not with Christianity. Although, doubt his book will really change anything with Christianity even if that is what the author was trying to do.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”