Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by KCWolf »

Balazon2000 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:56 If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
Well said.
Those are my sentiments, exactly. It's one thing to have convictions but be open-minded to hearing/reading the theories other people have to say.
But, a whole other thing to be "wishy-washy" and flip flop in your beliefs due to every little thing you read.

It's all about convictions.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Helena91
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helena91.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Helena91 »

Well, if what you seek is a direct answer, then it's definitely a NO for me. The book did nothing to my beliefs.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

evraealtana wrote: 01 May 2019, 07:45 No, it doesn't. I felt that the author supported his points poorly to begin with; the texts he presented seemed to be twisted or warped to fit with the point that he tried to make. Although I don't doubt that he himself believes the claims he advances, I didn't see the resounding "proof" that he does in his interpretation of the supplementary texts, especially since he relied so heavily on taking passages that made sense in literal form and making them into strained, slightly nonsensical metaphors in order to promote his views.
I agree with you. I also thought Wahler compounded his confusing logic with the added parentheses, brackets, and italics. By the time I finished wading through those extras, I was left scratching my head.
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I've heard and read better arguments that haven't shaken my faith. Admittedly, I haven't been able to finish the whole book, but what I have read has given me no reason to change my beliefs. I'm glad to see that seems to be the prevailing opinion.
babcockar
Currently Reading: Love in the Time of Cholera
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babcockar.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by babcockar »

I was raised Christian, and I still identify as a Christian. I have taken many Bible classes in high school and college. This book doesn't really shake my beliefs about Judas and his part in Christ's story. While I do think that the canonical Scriptures offer a kind of redemption for Judas, I don't think that it is on this level of redemption.
Balazon2000
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Awaken You Wonderful We
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balazon2000.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B07BNZ74G8

Post by Balazon2000 »

I think it's also perceptions. I can see a circumstance where something would ring true based on how you perceive the evidence. I just don't buy the authors perception.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Balazon2000 wrote: 14 May 2019, 11:09 I think it's also perceptions. I can see a circumstance where something would ring true based on how you perceive the evidence. I just don't buy the authors perception.
Me too. :tiphat:
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

It does not change my beliefs in any way. Everyone has a right to their opinion and so does the author.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

ayomie wrote: 14 May 2019, 12:15 It does not change my beliefs in any way. Everyone has a right to their opinion and so does the author.
perfectly said, everyone has a right to their religious beliefs and opinions.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

As compelling as the author's argument was, the book neither shook nor changed my religious beliefs.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Brandy C wrote: 01 May 2019, 12:46
Balazon2000 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:56 If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
I totally agree! If the book changes your beliefs then you already had doubts and were leaning that way. If your faith is strong nothing will change or shake it.
I SECOND! Anyone can write and research about anything nowadays. We must stand firm. It wont be the first time something is said or written that contradicts THE TRUTH and it wont be the last.
Tiffanyli
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyli.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tiffanyli »

Although the book does raise a great deal of interesting point in terms of belief, everyone looks at a topic differently. As someone who is neutral on the topic, it doesn't change my opinion but it definitely did pique my interest. It just shows that everyone has different beliefs that come from different places. It's hard to say who's right and wrong. So you never know, maybe he did make the ultimate sacrifice and maybe he didn't. But I definitely thought it was an interesting take on the topic that I never considered.
Essie_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essie-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Essie_Reviews »

Interesting question. Personally, it doesn't make sense to me that while Jesus dying is the ultimate sacrifice-- needed to save us from our sins, Judas, who's the reason Jesus was apprehended by the Romans, is looked at as a traitor. Judas is instrumental to Jesus carrying out the Will. To argue that Jesus wasn't supposed to die is to also argue that we weren't to be saved from our sins. In which case, are we then arguing that the Lord didn't want that for us and the Judas a wrench in His plans? But that then also means that the Lord could not foresee Judas betraying Jesus, which, if the Lord is omnipotent, just can't be the case.

Either way, though I was raised Christian, I no longer follow the religion and while a read like this might make anyone question their stance on their religious beliefs, I've always felt that the plot between Jesus and Judas and perceiving Judas as a traitor was an odd one at best. It's really interesting finding books that look at doctrine in a new light, looking to interpret things in a new way. I'm glad you brought this question up because it seems a lot of people are ready to discuss how these new interpretations make them feel.
Imagineering.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

No it doesn't change my beliefs. The book is only theories and not enough proof. I think Judas did play an important role ,but as a traitor, because Jesus had to die on the cross for us. I don't think Judas was another Master.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

It's hard for a book to change my religious beliefs. I am always able to grade and review the book based it's contents. I've held on to my religious beliefs since my childhood and will be difficult to change.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”