Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by Crazyreader01 »

To be honest, I still haven't made up my mind about Judas so I don't know if this book changed it or not. I agree with him being the traitor but in the end, it had to be somebody.
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

My pastor once proposed that beliefs can be divided into one of two categories: essential and non-essential. The idea is that there are some beliefs which are essential to thriving in the Christian faith and some which are helpful in clarifying our understanding of the faith, but which ultimately do not determine our standing with a God.
I would argue that Judas’ betrayal is a non-essential belief. The author goes into great detail and presents a convincing argument; however, there is no knowing for certain. That said, my beliefs remain unchanged, but I am open to more possibilities than I was before.
maharhunain
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by maharhunain »

No it does not change anything for me. The aurthor of the book put some great facts but still it doest not make any breaking point for me and i think a person who truely belive in his religion nothing can change him a book or thoughs of a person can not bend his thoughts to change his religion.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

OliviaLouise wrote: 19 May 2019, 15:31 My pastor once proposed that beliefs can be divided into one of two categories: essential and non-essential. The idea is that there are some beliefs which are essential to thriving in the Christian faith and some which are helpful in clarifying our understanding of the faith, but which ultimately do not determine our standing with a God.
I would argue that Judas’ betrayal is a non-essential belief. The author goes into great detail and presents a convincing argument; however, there is no knowing for certain. That said, my beliefs remain unchanged, but I am open to more possibilities than I was before.
Interesting bit of information.
NIRUPAMA JHA
Currently Reading: McCoy before the fued
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nirupama-jha.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by NIRUPAMA JHA »

i don't follow Christianity but still i am questioning some of my beliefs after reading this book. I hope that i am not persuaded by wrong beliefs.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

VernaVi wrote: 17 May 2019, 17:14 My answer to this question would have to be a resounding no. This book never once challenged my belief or faith, either in God or in the Bible. It did offend me on many points. The name-calling of prophets and apostles and of Jesus Himself, I found to be totally reprehensible. Misreading Judas was not very well-written as far as providing any concrete proofs or evidence and it seemed more like mad rants from an unhinged perspective than any kind of sober , or reflective presentation.
Gnostic writings have always been a bit of a problem when it comes to proofs, and this book certainly doesn't shine a good light on them either, in spite of the fact that the author tries to use them to back up his arguments.
His switching characters was a big problem for me.Jesus is James? Then...Judas is James? This book didn't challenge my faith, but it was a challenge to read because normally when I start a book like this I put it down after the first page. This one I finished and reviewed very carefully.Thanks for your question, this is a great conversation!
In what name-calling of prophets and apostles did I engage? I don't recall doing so. I tried to prove, and obviously failed in some cases, to show conclusively to readers that through careful comparisons of texts one to the other, gnostic to orthodox, that one has to agree the orthodox narrative of 'Betrayal' derived from inverting the gnostic succession narrative. That's very important information.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 19 May 2019, 05:22
Ak1412 wrote: 18 May 2019, 20:52
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 12 May 2019, 21:22

I was of the same opinion but that changed when I was removed from the review team for that exact reason.
Hmmm. That's interesting. I am sorry to hear that you are no longer a part of the review team.
Still do reviews, just not for OBC. You take who wants you and move on. :tiphat: :tiphat:
And now that you have repeatedly shown just how little you regard me and my motives for writing the book, do you think you could find something more constructive to do than bash my book to every one who posts, Ferdinand? Some people have expressed appreciation for my tackling a difficult and fraught discovery, and your repetitive posting is not going to outweigh them.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 19 May 2019, 05:22
Ak1412 wrote: 18 May 2019, 20:52
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 12 May 2019, 21:22

I was of the same opinion but that changed when I was removed from the review team for that exact reason.
Hmmm. That's interesting. I am sorry to hear that you are no longer a part of the review team.
Still do reviews, just not for OBC. You take who wants you and move on. :tiphat: :tiphat:
And now that you have repeatedly shown just how little you regard me and my motives for writing the book, do you think you could find something more constructive to do than bash my book to every one who posts, Ferdinand? Some people have expressed appreciation for my tackling a difficult and fraught discovery, and your repetitive posting is not going to outweigh them.
NIRUPAMA JHA wrote: 19 May 2019, 23:19 i don't follow Christianity but still i am questioning some of my beliefs after reading this book. I hope that i am not persuaded by wrong beliefs.
My book has nothing to do with belief. It is a TEXTUAL ANALYSIS.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

If I'm honest, I've never been 100% sure about all of my religious beliefs because there are so many unexplained things in life. However, it's always good to learn more and see things from a different perspective. This book hasn't changed my religious beliefs completely, but I feel that any new knowledge can shape the way you think.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

No, not at all.In fact, after reading the arguments in this book i felt even stronger in my belief that Judas was a traitor. In challenging such a grand and immutable fact, the author's attempt was pathetic.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I do not have Christian beliefs, so this book has not affected my beliefs.
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

DogoMulla wrote: 14 May 2019, 20:32
Brandy C wrote: 01 May 2019, 12:46
Balazon2000 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:56 If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
I totally agree! If the book changes your beliefs then you already had doubts and were leaning that way. If your faith is strong nothing will change or shake it.
I SECOND! Anyone can write and research about anything nowadays. We must stand firm. It wont be the first time something is said or written that contradicts THE TRUTH and it won't be the last.
There will always be different opinions and ”truths”. How we react to them is the key. Either we stand firm in our beliefs or fall to public opinion. In my opinion, if you fall then you weren't strong in your faith to begin with.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I think that it's always good to create some compassion/see in a new light vilified religious figures and ideas, since they present the part of humanity that we don't like to see in ourselves and hence "otherise," dividing people more and more.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
C-obi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-obi.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by C-obi »

No, it doesn't. There are facts we can never change, irrespective of what anyone or school of thought says about it.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

My religious beliefs were not changed because I consider myself to be religiously unaffiliated. I think that more conservative Christian groups would consider this book to be blasphemy or the work of the Devil. The reason why the Bible is arranged the way that it is was due to priests many years after Jesus's death deciding which books would be allowed in and which would be discarded.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”