Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Re: Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by a9436 »

No, not personally. But it does make me question the education system in which I grew up, which did not include the concept of questioning beliefs at all.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

I've recently gotten into religious books and find each one so interesting. While Misreading Judas is an interesting perspective, it doesn't change my mind. I stand firm in my beliefs but like many others in this thread.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Debottam_55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debottam-55.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Debottam_55 »

It is hard for any particular book to change my religious beliefs. As a matter of fact, I despise books and movies that try very hard to change religious beliefs. The short answer is no. I liked the deviation of the portrayal of Judas as not being a traitor but I am an atheist, to begin with.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" - Charles Bukowski
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

No, not really. Seeing things from someone else's perspective can reveal an angle you'd not seen, but it doesn't really change the story. For me anyway.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

I love the authors insight and research about the subject bot it does not change my religious belief of whom Judas is.
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

Orizon wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 09:53 I love the authors insight and research about the subject bot it does not change my religious belief of whom Judas is.
You still think there was a Judas? - the Author
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Kyoks wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 02:32 The book does not change one's religion but the perception about Judas's action in the implementation of God's plans of letting Jesus die on the cross for our sins and bring back man's dominion of the earth.
Have you ever given a thought to why people who lived and died before Jesus lived were born at all? Makes little sense if there was only one savior. - the Author
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Kyoks wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 02:32 The book does not change one's religion but the perception about Judas's action in the implementation of God's plans of letting Jesus die on the cross for our sins and bring back man's dominion of the earth.

So, who has dominion now? I don't think I want to know .... Maybe Donald Trump. - the Author
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Daniel_ wrote: 31 May 2019, 18:10 The book changes nothing for me as we all have to right to choose and hold on to our beliefs.
Did you read it? I suspect a lot of posters have not. -- the Author
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

evraealtana wrote: 01 May 2019, 07:45 No, it doesn't. I felt that the author supported his points poorly to begin with; the texts he presented seemed to be twisted or warped to fit with the point that he tried to make. Although I don't doubt that he himself believes the claims he advances, I didn't see the resounding "proof" that he does in his interpretation of the supplementary texts, especially since he relied so heavily on taking passages that made sense in literal form and making them into strained, slightly nonsensical metaphors in order to promote his views.
You make serious charges. How about some specific citations? After all, I provided my own, didn't I? - the Author.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Brandy C wrote: 01 May 2019, 12:46
Balazon2000 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:56 If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
I totally agree! If the book changes your beliefs then you already had doubts and were leaning that way. If your faith is strong nothing will change or shake it.
What if that book is conclusive? You still would believe the Bible is "Holy"?
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

OliviaLouise wrote: 19 May 2019, 15:31 My pastor once proposed that beliefs can be divided into one of two categories: essential and non-essential. The idea is that there are some beliefs which are essential to thriving in the Christian faith and some which are helpful in clarifying our understanding of the faith, but which ultimately do not determine our standing with a God.
I would argue that Judas’ betrayal is a non-essential belief. The author goes into great detail and presents a convincing argument; however, there is no knowing for certain. That said, my beliefs remain unchanged, but I am open to more possibilities than I was before.
Listen, if a major part of the Holy Story is proved to be made-up, then what does this say about the whole story? If it's true history, you don't need to make ANY of it up! I don't see how this is such a stretch for people. - the Author
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Renu G wrote: 01 May 2019, 23:22
Kibetious wrote: 01 May 2019, 22:29
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 May 2019, 04:58 No this doesn't change anything for me. The author makes some interesting points regarding Judas, but like the others it does not change anything for me.
This is also the same for me. Much had been said about Judas long before the New Testament
books. The Psalmist had spoken about and all that came to pass. I guess nothing much changes from reading the book.
It's so true. The seed of the NT was already present in the OT.
Nonsense. You mean Isaiah 7:14? Read Isaiah 8. EMMANUEL IS NOT JESUS. Isaiah 53? It's about ISRAEL, not Jesus. There are ZERO references to Jesus in the Old Testament. This is one of the biggest Church hoaxes of all the Christ-is-my-Savior nonsense. Please, read something besides apologetics. Try Dr. Richard Carrier or Dr. Robert Price. Or even Dr. Robert Eisenman.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

A G Darr wrote: 05 May 2019, 16:23 No, this book does does change my religious beliefs. I can possibly entertain the idea that Judas was not actually a betrayer, but even if I did completely believe, that would not technically change my faith.

I'm non-denominational Christian. The base of my beliefs is there is one God who loves humanity. He sent Jesus to humanity to teach us and help guide us. If Jesus was not crucified, that does not lessen God's gift to humanity. Whether or not Judas betrayed Jesus does not effect those beliefs in any way.
The point is that not only is a part of the narrative made up, but that to manufacture such a major part of it, what does that say about the rest of the story? If there really was a Jesus martyr, and a book FROM GOD about him, it should be accurate, don't ya think?
Aurelianp
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Rebellion
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurelianp.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Aurelianp »

Mind you, I am not Christian. But no, this book did not change any belief I already held. If anything it just affirmed things I already privately thought about the nature of Judas.

It has always been very strange to me that people recognize that Jesus’ death was all in their God’s plan, and necessary for human salvation but then treat Judas as this evil betrayer when if they are correct in the fact that Jesus’ death was necessary and good then Judas’ sacrifice of his master was also necessary and good.

What I did find interesting/mind opening, as a Hindu, was the author’s mixing of Hindu thought into his understanding of the gospel of Judas. I do not know that it is remotely accurate but it was interesting and warrants further research on my part.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”