Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Sumaira Zaheer
Currently Reading: A Little Bit Witchy
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumaira-zaheer.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Post by Sumaira Zaheer »

I just downloaded this book and is on my must read list. I'm not a Christian but i'm always interested in reading about other religions and stories and legend connected t them. based on all the good reviews. I'm really looking forward to reading it.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

esp1975 wrote: 28 May 2019, 10:06
The_book_of_t wrote: 27 May 2019, 12:49 I haven’t read this book and I’m not sure I intend to. From a young age I've actively avoided religion for personal reasons and I don’t tend to read books based on religious beliefs or ideology. Saying that, I’m not opposed to a book that allows for someone like me to understand the grounds of another’s religion as I like to change my personal views and opinions occasionally. So, I guess my question is, how is religion discussed In this book? Is it a little dose of ideology? Or even a full blown study?
I would tell you that "religion" is not discussed in this book. A religion is. Christianity. And if you see other threads on this book, there is the theory that the arguments made in the book could mark the end of Christianity. (Spoiler: That's not going to happen.) However, this book does argue, based on a close reading (and slightly different translation) of the newly found Gospel of Judas, for a completely new interpretation of the Christ/Judas betrayal story line, in that the argument is, Judas did not betray Christ, and Christ was not sacrificed (hence the argument for the end of Christianity). Instead, Judas was the sacrifice, but not his life, but his sinning life. Kind of like being reawakened as a Buddha.

I would actually argue that the book would benefit substantially from a more robust discussion of religion in general, specifically morehistory of the Christian Church, and a more thorough explanation of Gnostic/Eastern Mysticism beliefs.
This was my second book. I focused solely on newly discovered texts at Nag Hammadi and Al Minya, Egypt, which reveal the original succession story of James, inverted by the Gospel authors to hide him. I would hope people reading it would similarly focus, and see that it is a short stretch to asserting that the end of a religion is upon us. My first book, The Bible says saviors- Obadiah 1:21 covers more background information.
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

It's an intriguing premise! This book raises interesting questions to analyze the way one sees the bible and especially the apocryphal gospels.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I think, if nothing else, this book sparks great conversation regarding religious interpretation. The author shows another side to the story and makes readers think from another perspective.
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

I am reading it now. Over halfway through currently. This novel presents several religious ideas. I for one am sceptical of religion but read these books to learn and expand my horizon of religion. Wether you are religous or not this is a great read.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author did quite a bit of research on the subject of Judas. He cites numerous sources to support his position. One can certainly admire the zeal he manifests for his beliefs. It is counterproductive, though, that he demeans people who do not accept his point of view. Labeling Biblical beliefs as "nonsense" (loc. 1035) and "purely fictional" (loc. 1475) detract from his Gnostic ("Knowledge") position.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I didn’t care for the book. It was hard to understand and it seemed that the author was trying to pull “facts” out of mid air. I believe Judas was the betrayer as the Bible says he is.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Nicole_Boyd wrote: 29 May 2019, 16:19 I didn’t care for the book. It was hard to understand and it seemed that the author was trying to pull “facts” out of mid air. I believe Judas was the betrayer as the Bible says he is.
Nicole,
So you think a sign, the kiss (the 'sign'), armed multitudes seizing, naked guy fleeing away, Hail BROTHER!/Hail, Master!, and JESUS reproving Peter, not the reverse, THREE times "in this night" are all a coincidence, and all IN ORDER?

Did you read the many parallels, ALWAYS inverted when the sense of the passage mattered most? There was a conscious effort to hide James. HE is the protagonist, Judas the villain, gnostic to orthodox inversion. Masters come ALL THE TIME. That is what they say, and give details for how to recognize one.

Dr. Robert Eisenman also found similar cover up surrounding James in the Dead Sea Scrolls, just so you know. He is highly under-appreciated. He was first to suggest Judas was James, inverted.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

esp1975 wrote: 24 May 2019, 11:04 I just finished the book. I am still working on gathering/organizing my thoughts well enough to write a thoughtful full review.
What I will say is that I felt like I should have been the target audience for this book - I am someone who has studied not only multiple different religions/mythologies, but also religion as a concept and organized religion as a social construct. I watched (more than once) the National Geographic special on the Gospel of Judas. I've watched specials on the Dead Sea Scrolls. I can't stand Dan Brown, but did read Holy Blood, Holy Grail, the work he based The DaVinci Code on. So this subject matter is right up my alley.
And yet, reading it, it didn't feel like I was the author's target audience. It felt like it was aimed very specifically at religious academics, which I am not. I work in academia, but am not myself any kind of academic.
As I read the book however, I found I had to fight myself from wanting a write an academic critique of the author's arguments. In most cases it was not to refute the arguments, but I wanted to see more supporting evidence, I wanted clearer lines drawn. I had all sorts of questions about why certain things were presented in the way they were, and would have liked to see some careful critique of the other interpretations of these scriptures, instead of simply dismissing them out of hand.

For the lay reader, I think this book would have been better served to have some information about the Second Council of Nicea, which basically put together the current Bible as standard, from the very many versions that were around at the time. That council chose to include some things and exclude others, so kind of a reminder that that our modern Bible has always been a political work, in addition to being a literary and religious one.
I have seen comments on this thread about Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John being "first hand accounts" compared to the others, which they were not. (This is not actually a fact that is in dispute, even among Christian scholars. We can date these accounts and the other accounts we have. And those dates were occasionally referenced in the book, but not made explicit.) Throughout, there were similar bits of history and context of which I am aware that I would have liked to have seen referenced, that I think would not only have made the arguments stronger, but also made the book accessible to many more readers.
This also means that in sections where I didn't myself have knowledge like that, I think there might be, and I really would have liked it.

Like others, and I believe as the author intended, since there was much reference to Eastern Mysticism, I got a strong impression of Buddhism. There were moments that deeply brought to mind Herman Hesse's Siddhartha, and the story of the Buddha in the garden.
I was actually more fascinated by the ideas of Jesus as a cover James and the concept that Jesus himself was never a real person, than I was of Judas as a cover for James, though that did lead me to wondering who the author thought James's Master was (maybe John the Baptist?). Or was James more like Buddha in the way he came to enlightenment/Master status?

In the end, I thought there were some strong arguments and some weak arguments in the book, but in all cases, I really would have liked to have seen more of the supporting evidence, especially to make this book more accessible to the lay reader. I find the purpose of the book, to make us think critically about our religious institutions and writings, and to be open to new information, extremely important, and I really wish it had been more accessible.

For myself, I would give this book three out of four stars. The subject matter is one I find fascinating, and as I don't have time to read the Gnostic texts or the Hebrew ones (or at least the ones that might be available to me), I really enjoyed the full passages pulled from them. I have enough of a background and understanding of the subject matter that while I was frustrated by the lack of more supporting evidence and clear lines, I was still able to follow the arguments and understand where they were coming from.
However, I would be very careful who I recommended this book to. I have a few friends who would be able to access it on the level that I did, but know many others who might find the arguments presented compelling, or at least incredibly interesting, who would get lost fairly early on because they do not have the background necessary to follow the book without the additional information.
Esp1975,

I want to hear what you think of my first book, The Bible Says Saviors -- Obadiah 1:21.
It is longer and gives more grounding. I use other scholars more. The Way is Sant Mat. rssb dot org I have to recommend any books by or about Masters at scienceofthesoul dot org. Many titles written by real living Saviors.
The comments you make are why I referenced other works so much. This was only to present the NEW information about Judas.

I think James was covered by Jesus and Judas, and a host of other lesser characters like James Zebedee and Lazarus. I think 'Jesus' was a fictional composite character made up from details of the birth and death of James and John the Baptist, and the trial of James.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

preethakum wrote: 25 May 2019, 06:04 Ever since I read the Dan Brown Novels, I have been intrigued by Religion and Christianity in particular. Although, non-fiction is not a genre I would be interested in, I would love to give it a read to know more about Judas and the history. It is quite interesting that the author has chosen a topic that presents such a drastic viewpoint to the one that is currently being followed. Kudos to the author for believing in his viewpoint.
Had I not been sure of myself, I would not have bothered to write it. It is a lot of work to write this kind of book. I am sure of it. This information is the period evidence we mythicists have been looking for to put Christianity away for good. The way is now clear for real teachings to take its place.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Sahansdal wrote: 15 May 2019, 22:51
VernaVi wrote: 10 May 2019, 17:02 I read this book very carefully, and although my review has not been approved or published yet, I give it 2 out of 4 stars. It bases its conclusions on an area of Gnostic literature which has not been validated by physical evidence or scientific proof. It expects the reader to blindly accept the wild theories posed by the author, theories that become wilder as the book progresses.For instance, he casts doubt on whether Christ was himself or James. His asserts that James is also Judas, while at the same time, he also thinks that Jesus was Judas. These statements are more than confusing for the reader since, by now, the author has turned Jesus into James, and Judas into James, and then into Judas. It also claims that James was the source of the concept of the virgin birth. I was grateful for my extensive background of research and study in this particular subject. I needed every bit of it.
There is a reason that Gnostic writings weren't approved or included in the Bible, they don't cross-reference correctly with other proven biblical works and evidence. Although I won't be recommending this book to anyone, it is good that it sparks debate and interest.
Verna, I really believe I was more clear than you say on Judas and James and Jesus as Judas. James was a real person in history. Same with John the Baptist. They have a reliable presence independent of the New Testament, which is NOT a record, but a position. Neither Jesus nor Judas is historical. There is not a single iota of clear evidence for Jesus. There is abundant evidence for Judas as James, and even before the Gospel of Judas appeared. Dr. Robert Eisenman showed that before I ever did.

There is no "proven biblical work" and no "evidence" for a Jesus Bible narrative. There is evidence, however, for a gnostic original which BECAME the Bible story. That is the Apocalypses of James mastership succession story.
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

Judas is possibly one of the most disliked characters in the Bible, with good reason ofcourse. It certainly will be interesting to read about the author's views on Judas that in some way save him from all the hatred and judgement. Can't wait to read this one
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I wish to also get the book. from a review here the author said judas was misu ndand to be a betrayer whereas he is not. one part i didnt agree with atall is that jesus 4is not the savour but judas

bdaamer
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:

Post by Sunday diamond »

I wish to also get the book. from a review here the author said judas was misu ndand to be a betrayer whereas he is not. one part i didnt agree with atall is that jesus 4is not the saivour but judas

bdaamer
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:

Post by Sunday diamond »

I wish to also get the book. from a review here the author said judas was misu ndand to be a betrayer whereas he is not. one part i didnt agree with atall is that jesus 4is not the saivour but judas

bdaamer

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”