Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Post by A G Darr »

This book was very interesting, though at times the author came off as a bit pompous. The ideology is strongly Gnostic. While I'm not Gnostic myself, I do enjoy theology and various points of view on the subject. I think other readers with an open mind and curiosity would also enjoy this book.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

Lindsey Klaus wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:18 I was bummed that the sample only included other people's opinions on the book, as I was really looking forward to getting a taste of things.
The beginning of the book was all the other people's opinions on the book, and I agree, I was bummed out too. While I feel it is good for an author to believe in their writing and try to promote themselves, it made the the author seems gratuitously self-serving in an off putting way.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

A G Darr wrote: 05 May 2019, 16:54
Lindsey Klaus wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:18 I was bummed that the sample only included other people's opinions on the book, as I was really looking forward to getting a taste of things.
The beginning of the book was all the other people's opinions on the book, and I agree, I was bummed out too. While I feel it is good for an author to believe in their writing and try to promote themselves, it made the the author seems gratuitously self-serving in an off putting way.
I had good reviews I wanted in the book. The publisher told me where they would go. I had no say in that. Wouldn't you want readers to see reviews if they were good ones? I didn't edit them at all.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

A lot of readers take issue with my adding the reviews. I had no idea they would be an issue in excepting later. If I had it to do over again, I would take them out. But that always adds cost. I worked hard to put this book together. I didn't want to be a writer, I just discovered something important that people need to know. I love people. I have no ulterior motive. I am not proselytizing. The Masters certainly don't need my help. I uncovered a clear indication that the Bible story in the New Testament is a ruse. I knew it long before the Gospel of Judas and the Nag Hammadi Library came to light, but this made it certain. I don't like friends of mine being victimized by deceptive writing, and that is what the Church and the Bible are doing. You are my friends. I'm sorry if anyone is offended. It isn't my goal to antagonize, but to educate. Isn't it better to learn than to remain deceived? I can prove the claims I make. It is for your betterment. It won't give me anything except the satisfaction of knowing I rose to a calling I did not seek but was willing to accept.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

reneelu1998 wrote: 04 May 2019, 16:04
THarveyReadALot wrote: 03 May 2019, 18:32 I believe there's a reason the Gnostic Gospels weren't included in the Holy Scriptures/Holy Bible. The Scriptures are true; the Gnostic Gospels can't be proved to be true as far as I know. The Gospel of Judas is portrayed, if I understand right, as a Gnostic Gospel. Only the Scriptures can tell us the truth about Judas the disciple turned betrayer. And Jesus knew that Judas was going to be His betrayer.
Yeah I think your comment is true. The author may be relying too much on the credibility of the Gospel of Judas, which doesn't have the same credibility as the other gospels which were written as first hand accounts.
No one knows who wrote the New Testament Gospels. No one knows who wrote the gnostic texts, either. It is up to us to try to understand them all. That is all I tried to convey. The NT Gospels certainly are not first-hand accounts. Unless you think 90-year olds fluent in Greek in the 60's were also itinerant fishermen in the 30's. One thing these Gospels are is masterfully composed. They were not original, nor oral traditions. Many others have established their origins in the Old Testament and other classic Greek, Egyptian, or Roman sources. Aeneas, for example in Acts, is from Virgil's Aeneid. Much of the rest is Homer.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 02:43 The book, though short, present a precise but complete argument about the Judas' case. I love the authors view and like his arguments and presentations. I'll give it 4 out of 4 stars such a thought-provoking book.
I've been debating whether or not I wanted to read this book, but seeing it get a 4 out of 4 stars is encouraging. Also, your mention of it being precise makes me want to read it, too!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Kaylee123 wrote: 05 May 2019, 19:46
juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 02:43 The book, though short, present a precise but complete argument about the Judas' case. I love the authors view and like his arguments and presentations. I'll give it 4 out of 4 stars such a thought-provoking book.
I've been debating whether or not I wanted to read this book, but seeing it get a 4 out of 4 stars is encouraging. Also, your mention of it being precise makes me want to read it, too!
I'm very sure you'll like it. It present a very interesting view on this judas' tale.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by maritzaalston »

For me, it was a hard book to read. Not because of the text or words that the author used but because of the formatting and the way he inserted the passages.
I do not support the theory but I kept an open mind throughout the entire time I was reading the book. I can tell that a lot of time, research and thought went into writing the book. Gnosticism was new for me so I found myself referring and looking up some of his information just to gain a greater understanding of what I was reading.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Am not reading this book. The Bible says nothing should be added or removed from the holy scriptures and this is an addition that is pretty much meaningless.
Maeve Mor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Maeve Mor »

Misreading Judas is a hard book to follow, beguiling and thought-provoking. Gnosticism point of view is new to me so I have to keep a very open mind while reading the book.
The author certainly researched the subject very well. Wahler offered interesting arguments in biblical and philosophical perspectives and present it in a very precise manner.
While some readers might be offended, those who are interested in theology, philosophy and history will definitely find this book really interesting.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I never read books with religious content or beliefs. I dislike these kinds of books so I pass on reading them.
Krishnapriya Sev
Currently Reading: Twisted thread
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishnapriya-sev.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Krishnapriya Sev »

This information-rich book can serve as a starting point for those who want to dig deeply into Gnostic and Eastern Cosmology as an alternative to standard Christian beliefs.
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

This isn't something I would normally read but a different story about the bible could be refreshing.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

I've not yet read this book but it does sound like it might need a more in-depth knowledge of the Bible than I think I have! What intrigues me though, is that it seems as if it turns popular perceptions on their head. One thing I do firmly believe is that the Bible is open to as many different interpretations as there were scribes.
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
Ayanfe4luv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayanfe4luv.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ayanfe4luv »

bigscarythingy wrote: 01 May 2019, 20:39 I was raised a Christian and spent a lot of time researching the scriptures in depth. Anytime someone has a fresh take on things, I'm usually open and ready. This book has some very unique ideas and I like the idea that Judas has been harshly misjudged all this time. Many non-Christian religions posit the belief that Jesus was just another holy man, and I think it's a conceit worthy of some consideration. The fact that Judas was purportedly accelerating the succession of religious figureheads is fascinating and I think the book has some real value in the theological arena.

The author in my opinion is manipulative as he links his exposition to mysticism.
The strongest passages detail sited the esoteric history of the spiritual movement, and the personal nature of mysticism. The book astonishingly connects Judas and Jesus’s spiritual practices to Eastern mysticism in India. In striving to locate Eastern precedents in Abrahamic religions, the book offers interesting and novel perspectives on biblical narratives, such as the influence of karmic cycles in the New Testament.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”