How "intense" did you find the book? Suspensful?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Re: How "intense" did you find the book? Suspensful?

Post by Noosh »

I think the first half of it was suspenseful. From the very beginning until the tug got into Sol Duc. Specially the first scene when the ship was on fire and the scene were Larry got hurt.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Noosh wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 23:37 I think the first half of it was suspenseful. From the very beginning until the tug got into Sol Duc. Specially the first scene when the ship was on fire and the scene were Larry got hurt.
I think those two scenes were frightening as well, but the "lost at sea" scenes were terrifying if you tried at all to put yourself in their shoes. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

Kelyn wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 23:55
Noosh wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 23:37 I think the first half of it was suspenseful. From the very beginning until the tug got into Sol Duc. Specially the first scene when the ship was on fire and the scene were Larry got hurt.
I think those two scenes were frightening as well, but the "lost at sea" scenes were terrifying if you tried at all to put yourself in their shoes. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!
Well, of course. There are also other scenes as well. But the two that stood out most for me were the ones I said.

:tiphat:
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

Same! I think everyone has that fear, but I generally have a wild imagination so it was hard for me to read through some scenes without taking a breath.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

I have a phobia for water and the book gave me chills, literally intensifying my nightmares. I am usually not the type of person of loses her head over books or movies, but this one gave me a new kind of experience. My eyes were wide open when I thought we wouldn't find him alive
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Areej Tahir wrote: 16 Jul 2019, 07:55 I have a phobia for water and the book gave me chills, literally intensifying my nightmares. I am usually not the type of person of loses her head over books or movies, but this one gave me a new kind of experience. My eyes were wide open when I thought we wouldn't find him alive
I'm grateful to say that the book didn't give me nightmares, but I definitely had difficulty with my water phobia as well. (Never really thought about it that way but I suppose that's actually what it is!) The author was good at keeping us on pins and needles. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Mrudolph30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrudolph30.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Mrudolph30 »

I haven't read it for a few months, but I remember it being a gripping page turner. Sheldon did such a nice job of interweaving the stories that it felt seamless to switch between the various plot lines. I was never scared or nervous but I definitely wanted to find out what happened next. Thanks for making me think!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Mrudolph30 wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 16:55 I haven't read it for a few months, but I remember it being a gripping page-turner. Sheldon did such a nice job of interweaving the stories that it felt seamless to switch between the various plot lines. I was never scared or nervous but I definitely wanted to find out what happened next. Thanks for making me think!
You're welcome! Yes, it was a page-turner, but I simply couldn't do the 'read it in one sitting' thing with this book. The 'lost at sea' scenes just hit too close to recurring nightmares I had as a child. I HAD to take a step away in those moments. The author definitely did a great job at interweaving the plotlines though. I never stopped wanting to find out what happened next and (obviously) always came back to it. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts!
fmd1821
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmd1821.html
Latest Review: Mastering Real Estate with Private Money by Tom Braegelmann

Post by fmd1821 »

I really like the suspense of this book. However, I am glad I was not out on the ocean. This is something that terrifies me. I prefer to travel with my imagination, and this book allowed me to do it.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

It was definitely filled with suspense and intense but I wasn't really spooked by any scene. Great writing skills on display by the author.
SomaKenya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somakenya.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by SomaKenya »

Welcome Kelyn
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

The book was intense but also I couldn't keep it down because it made me too involved. And last part about William was cliff hanger. The line so this is what death looks like sent chills.
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

I had mixed feelings actually. I was intrigued and engaged. The situations definitely were suspenseful. But I felt they were rushed towards the end. I felt cheated with the way all things ended. I was so high with anticipation when suddenly, the end.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

The scenes were Intense but not enough to make me put the book aside or cringe for even a second. I loved the vivid description of the scenes and they only made me immerse myself more in the book.
Kaivalya Khisti
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaivalya-khisti.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Kaivalya Khisti »

I found this book better than 'Strong Heart', in terms of suspense. The book started out quite brilliantly but the suspense abated as the story progressed. I liked the scene with Lary but otherwise the book was not as much suspenseful for me as the story had potential.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”