How "intense" did you find the book? Suspensful?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Re: How "intense" did you find the book? Suspensful?

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Kelyn wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 21:52
Kibetious wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 07:04 The book was full of suspense. The only question that would arise is the level of suspense in some parts. Apart from the uncertainty about the fire on the ship, a lot of suspense was present in other parts too. For example, Heather was diabetic and her drugs were running. The members of the crew also never knew whether they would survive or not. The one that lasted long was whether William would be found or not and if yes, alive or dead.
The author definitely knew how to draw out the suspense and work it into multiple 'paths' in the book! Heather was one that I worried about but wasn't so intense that I had to put the book down. Thanks so much for stopping in and commenting!
Knowing how Diabetes can be, I was also afraid. She nevet seemed to care much though. I guess she was used to living in the present and letting the future take care of itself.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This book was also made suspenseful when it was revealed that Randall's team was drifting towards the coast of the Charlottes. It is described as being rocky, steep, and treacherous. Anyone would have begun worrying not knowing how they were going to dock there.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I'm sorry but it's been a while since I read the book and keeping the characters in line. Help me recall Heather.
bellamia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellamia.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by bellamia »

I'm not very scared of water or even being out at sea, I actually think it'd be peaceful. But I did feel a bit of a jolt in a few scenes especially when I wasn't sure if William was still alive. All in all, it's a good book. Perhaps heavy material for hydrophobics
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I thought it was pretty intense, too. I agree with you. I was beside myself when they found the body!
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I would feel uncomfortable if this was horror or vampires, but this I just enjoyed. Especially the fraught times of getting the wire hawsers connected so the boat could be towed. I did'nt want Larry to lose his limbs or die, and I was overjoyed when William was still alive.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Kibetious wrote: 01 May 2019, 03:59 This book was also made suspenseful when it was revealed that Randall's team was drifting towards the coast of the Charlottes. It is described as being rocky, steep, and treacherous. Anyone would have begun worrying not knowing how they were going to dock there.
I certainly would have been! I don't think I would ever put myself in the position to be anywhere near a situation like this. :shock: I'll just enjoy the ocean from the beach. Thanks for coming back!!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 May 2019, 04:00 I'm sorry but it's been a while since I read the book and keeping the characters in line. Help me recall Heather.
I don't remember a lot about her myself but she made somewhat of an impression because I have diabetic friends and she was diabetic as well. Her supplies were running out which, if it had been me, would have had me in a panic. As I recall, she was concerned, but surprisingly calm about the whole thing. Hope that helped a bit. Thanks for coming back!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

bellamia wrote: 01 May 2019, 04:28 I'm not very scared of water or even being out at sea, I actually think it'd be peaceful. But I did feel a bit of a jolt in a few scenes especially when I wasn't sure if William was still alive. All in all, it's a good book. Perhaps heavy material for hydrophobics
Definitely, heavy reading for hydrophobics, although I never actually knew there was a word for it! It was a good book, just full of too many chances to drown for me!! One of my worst fears there. I'm glad William survived, I was afraid for him too. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

mmm17 wrote: 02 May 2019, 17:01 I thought it was pretty intense, too. I agree with you. I was beside myself when they found the body!
Abacus wrote: 02 May 2019, 18:25 I would feel uncomfortable if this was horror or vampires, but this I just enjoyed. Especially the fraught times of getting the wire hawsers connected so the boat could be towed. I didn't want Larry to lose his limbs or die, and I was overjoyed when William was still alive.
Finding the body was one of the worst moments in my opinion. // See, I'm OK with vampires and such because I know that a real live vampire is never going to jump out of a bush and attack me. But being lost at sea? That's real and actually happens. That's why it's so much more intense for me I think because it could happen if I ever put myself in a position to be in that kind of danger.

Thanks to you both for stopping by and adding your thoughts to the conversation!!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

aolayide wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 12:24 I am also afraid of being out in the sea and I agree with you that some of the scenes are too intense that it left some imaginations in my mind. Still, the story is an interesting one.
I love books that grip you with their intensity. Its what makes a book memorable.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I haven't gotten to read the whole book yet, but if it's anything like the first one, I bet it's just as intense.
Christine Penny
Currently Reading: Bad Medicine
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-penny.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christine Penny »

That too is my worst nightmare (being adrift at sea in a lifeboat) but i feel the writer hardly used that scenario to get to the intensity of the story, i feel life IF and that is a huge IF there was any intensity to the book it was when Larry got hurt during the recovery of the ship... I think that was the high point of the plot. The only reason I wanted to put the book down was out of sheer boredom. I was looking for a real survival in the elements thrill ride and i just think there were too many perspectives from the mainland to get that survival spirit in there... even when they were surviving on land it was very limited in the actual survival and to me was not believable... it just said they went up one mountain slope and down and then went up another and charlie got hurt... it really didn't get into their thoughts or what starvation or dehydration was doing to them...
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

There were definitely some intense moments. Being stranded at sea sounds absolutely horrifying. Though, I'm the kind of person who, when reading super intense and terrifying scenes, I tend to be so captivated and freaked out that I can't stop reading because I need to know how things develop and solve themselves.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

Just swimming in the open ocean gives me pause! It is a scary and unpredictable place to be and I thought that this book encapsulated that feeling very well.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”