Favorite motif, theme, or symbol

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Favorite motif, theme, or symbol

Post by EllieLieberman »

There's many motifs, themes and symbols throughout Adrift by Charlie Sheldon. What are some of your favorites?

One example is the bird in Steve's chapters.
The bird pecking at crumbs- did it feel hope? It sure had spirit... Maybe that bird's spirit would carry us through.
Within that same part about the bird,Steve talks about his son, Jimmie, being a symbol of hope. William, too, becomes a symbol of hope when having to survive Haida Gwaii.

I suppose it's not too surprising survival would be another theme, but I personally enjoyed not just the survival of the character's within the action of abandoning the ship, staying alive in the wilderness, and life-and-death injuries, but also the discussion of financial survival.
Larry and Louise need their business to survive. Travis, Scratch, and the crew talked about why they needed this job for the pay out. Steve talked about how in the maritime industry,
most of us have to keep working to survive.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Nice observation. One of my favorite theme was of hope. Most of the characters displayed exemplary hope and faith in the face of most hopeless situations. For example, I liked Sarah for her unbudging hope in William's survival.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I liked how most characters cultivated resilience. For example, despite Pete's leg injury he learned how to do things on his own. Also the crew in the lifeboats did cultivate resilience.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Birds have been used symbolically for hope in many great novels and biblical stories. I am glad that the author chose to include them in his book, too.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The one that caught my attention was the bird also. We are not told where the bird came from.I was not sure what it meant at first but there was something about survival that it pointed to. It is also true that survival is one of the major themes of this book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Nerea wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 16:40 I liked how most characters cultivated resilience. For example, despite Pete's leg injury he learned how to do things on his own. Also the crew in the lifeboats did cultivate resilience.
The hunt for a seal was also another area where a lot of patience was seen. You can imagine creeping through the snow for almost three hours just to catch a seal. It seems that when the moment of survival or death comes, nothing is impossible.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

EllieLieberman wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 00:43 There's many motifs, themes and symbols throughout Adrift by Charlie Sheldon. What are some of your favorites?

The bird pecking at crumbs- did it feel hope? It sure had spirit... Maybe that bird's spirit would carry us through.
Within that same part about the bird,Steve talks about his son, Jimmie, being a symbol of hope. William, too, becomes a symbol of hope when having to survive Haida Gwaii.

I suppose it's not too surprising survival would be another theme, but I personally enjoyed not just the survival of the character's within the action of abandoning the ship, staying alive in the wilderness, and life-and-death injuries, but also the discussion of financial survival.
Larry and Louise need their business to survive. Travis, Scratch, and the crew talked about why they needed this job for the pay out. Steve talked about how in the maritime industry,
Hope and survival were important themes that I loved following in the book.
Sophy Chunge
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by Sophy Chunge »

I noticed the "bird" symbol too. It symbolizes Jimmie, doesn't it?
“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

EllieLieberman wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 00:43 There's many motifs, themes and symbols throughout Adrift by Charlie Sheldon. What are some of your favorites?

Financial survival is a major theme in the book as well for sure. Travis himself has his mother to take care as she requires nursing care. His work as a local reporter cannot meet his needs. When observed critically, it seemed as though the pursuit of financial gain could take a major portion of the story.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-amarachi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine »

My best theme is Hope. Most of the characters expressed hope in the face of their unpleasant situations especially Sarah.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

The themes that stood out for me was that of resilience and hope. Against all odds and despite the hapless situations the characters found themselves in, they stood strong and remained hopeful.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I think that the most important theme in the book was that of survival. Remaining strong in the face of adversity is an important message, and this book does an admirable job of communicating that through each event.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

Survival was an outstanding theme. The characters were struggling and hoping for the best.
Mrudolph30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrudolph30.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Mrudolph30 »

A theme I still remember after reading Adrift many months ago is the idea that everything is interconnected. Buckhorn both employs one of the characters and is the force another character fights against. The drifting vessel pits David (the old tug) against Goliath (Buckhorn) and there are characters on both sides of the fight that all have intertwined fates. You can feel how much this part of the world revolves around events like this.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

The theme I liked best was that of faith. Sarah's faith carried her all the way to William, in a sense. I enjoyed reading about the almost miraculous ending - and I liked how that was tied in with the character's culture and belief.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”