Strong Women

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Sekhmet September
Favorite Author: Tanith Lee
Currently Reading: Stranded In The Wild
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sekhmet-september.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
fav_author_id: 10199

Re: Strong Women

Post by Sekhmet September »

We certainly need strong female characters out there! It's a tough choice, but I loved that there was a female character who remained strong despite her disability (Heather). I identify with her and found her inspiring.
Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
Hebrews 11 1 NIV
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I like that this book has many strong female characters. I think that I liked Anne the best and appreciated her quality to never give up. Her perseverance was very inspiring.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I think Louise was my favorite because she was strong-willed and also complicated. She wasn't a character you could pigeon hole into one specific category.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

lisalynn wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 21:01 I like the fact that there were strong women in the book. Too often, adventure stories are all told from the male perspective. These women demonstrate fortitude in the face of trial and perform admirably.
I 100% agree with this; it's important that stories where women are strong characters also become a norm, and to be honest, this is long overdue.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

Dusamae wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 16:44 Louise stood out most for me. I loved, though she doubted herself, how she handled the boat like she had been doing it for years, though she had not been for a long time. She did what was needed and handled herself well when she found out her husband was injured and dying.
I agree with you. Hurrah!!! to women power and courage! :tiphat:
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

One of my favorite things about this book was the amount of strong female characters. I liked Anne the best because her strive to do the best and to never give up clearly shone through out the novel. She was also pretty relatable as well.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I really enjoyed all of the characters but if I had to choose I think Louise was my favorite. She was strong and fierce when she was losing her husband and attempting she weather the storm. She was also brave when she lost her husband.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

I loved Myra. When other characters lost hope, she didn't. She was determined to do everything in her power for her father and his crew to be found. And she kept believing that her father was alive.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I don't think I can choose my favorite female character. They were all amazing, strong women.

Myra had to hold her head high while constantly worrying about her father being lost at sea. She also had to keep her head in the game that whole time.

Sarah's youthful optimism was a huge help to those waiting to see if the second lifeboat would be found. She was particularly important to Myra. She convinced her to go look for William and Myra said she needed her strength and spirit and wanted her to come with her to go search.

Louise steered Warhorse even though she hadn't in years. She also made sure her men all got paid and were taken care of. After the death of her husband, she didn't fall apart. She powered through.

Anne was so young but stayed strong while stranded. She carried more wood than most of the men with her and was brave enough to go with William to get help. She also made it far enough to get that help and save those who had been on the lifeboat with her.

Heather was vital to those stranded as well. Even though she was suffering from diabetes, she also carried more wood than most of the men. She also stalked a seal for 3 hours and killed it, ensuring the crew had some food.

These women were all vital to the story. I enjoyed the role all of them played.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Louise showed amazing strength. Her doubts made her even stronger in my eyes.
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

In the female category of the characters, Louise and Sarah stood out for me. Sarah's optimism and strong faith really captured my focus. Louise ability to adapt to situations and handle it calmly is also comendable.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

I loved how Louise reacted after being told that Larry an accident. For a moment I thought she didn't hear what they said, then later, I realised that she was trying to be strong though, she was broken.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I love Louise the most as a whole, for her strength and perseverance despite losing her husband. I do have to say though that the scene where Heather kicks butt and slays the seal is one of my favorite out of the whole book. Her determination to acquire food in the face of others doubting her really stands out.
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

Cotwani wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 11:58
unamilagra wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 14:24 I really liked all the women in the book, but Anne was my favorite. I loved how she did what she had to do, even though she was way out of her depth the entire time. She never complained about it either.
My thoughts exactly!
I agree and she always showed composture as well
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Post by Radiant3 »

I found that both Louise and Anne were admirable characters in the story. They both showed great strength and determination at the most testing times.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”