Strong Women

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Re: Strong Women

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

Miriam Molina wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 21:04 I am glad that women played vital roles in the book. Louise, Myra, Anne and Heather all showed grit and stability in the midst of their desperate situations.

Which woman is the most unforgettable for you?
Louise is definitely an unforgettable character for me. She is like an Iron Lady who leads strongly in dire situations.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Eclecticmama wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 14:18 Both Anne and Louise were my favorite female characters.
I loved Anne’s determination to not quit. She reminded me of myself in my current situation. She was also the one who got the second team found, barely holding on herself.
Louise reminds me of my mom, in a way. Despite her own personal tragedy, she got the job done.
Charlie Sheldon did an excellent job showing just how tough a woman can be when faced with the toughest odds. It was one of the reasons I wanted to go on and read his other work.
I was intrigued by the way Charlie Sheldon has developed the characters in this story. Charlie seems to be quite good at storytelling. I loved this fast-paced adventurous novel.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Dusamae wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 16:44 Louise stood out most for me. I loved, though she doubted herself, how she handled the boat like she had been doing it for years, though she had not been for a long time. She did what was needed and handled herself well when she found out her husband was injured and dying.
Louise is a very strong character which has been portrayed well by the author and should leave a long lasting impression on the readers.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I haven't read this book but a strong woman makes a book more enjoyable to me. Go get em' ladies!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

In my opinion, Sarah was also strong character. In fact, she was my favorite in the book! I felt that her positivity and grit were a noteworthy aspect and did lend a helping hand to the others. She was a beacon of hope and I very much admired her grit. She came across as a loveable and trustworthy person to me. Just the type I usually enjoy as a character.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

I appreciated the strong female characters in this book, and how they stood up for themselves even when questioned by the men. Anne was my favorite in this regard because I felt like her character prominently displayed these characteristics.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I thought Louise was representative of most women that I know so I liked her best. Even with doubts she got the job done!
YL_Eytka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yl-eytka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by YL_Eytka »

I think Louise was the most unforgettable, she is different from the typical portrayal of woman, she is not very sympathetic and not typically feminine in nature
Anthony__
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I think its Sarah. Though the situation gave them no hope, but she believed in hope that Williams was alive. Hope and Courage are great characters to fall back to when the situation seems unbearable.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

All the woman in Adrift seemed to be very strong characters. Lousie, Myra, Anne, Marianne and Heather, all of them had a strength that was impressive. Comparing them to Randall(I disliked his character immensely) in particular, they were all great woman. I want to include Sarah in this, she is clearly a strong young woman. They all proved themselves in various situations that made Adrift enjoyable to read. Showing a maturation that the situations demanded. Sheldon wrote many great relatable female characters. :D :D :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

Louise is easily the most unforgettable for me. She was a determined, strong-willed and extremely intelligent woman who had an admirable character.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

The novel Adrift contains several strong female characters. The females in the book are responsible and respectful to
their co-workers, family members and other people around them. A number of them are college educated, hold licenses or
credentials, own small businesses or are active in projects supporting their local community. My favorite female character
is Anne, because she works diligently in her position as a third mate crew member with the Seattle Express.
She also endured a great deal of stress and hardship to help rescue her fellow crew members when they were stranded.
Joytoo97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joytoo97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joytoo97 »

Louise is my best. I love how even in the darkest and most trying moment as she loses Larry shes not only composed but dedicated to fight for her future.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

I love any female character who does play the 'please help poor little me'. So Strong Women would be a great book for anyone who feels the same way to read.
amjohnson13
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Quickstudy »

Louise is the woman who stands out the most to me. Her drive to overcome and work through any problem that arises makes her relatable and remarkable. At times doubting herself but resolved to push forward.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”