Why did Travis go on the rescue mission?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Re: Why did Travis go on the rescue mission?

Post by aolayide »

DogoMulla wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 15:06 Personally, I think he was just impulsive. He lives for the adrenaline rush. Who quits a good job to 'get into trouble' - wondered Tugboat Annie. He is even described as scattered in the book.
I believe some people just have a good heart. It may not be because he likes getting into trouble, it may be because he likes to help people.
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

I think it was a mixture of all of that as well. He was obviously not over Larry's death and early on in the novel you could tell he loved being on the see so I think, those two were the major driving forces of why he went
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

At one point Travis mentions that his mother said he's "scattered and impulsive." I think he wanted to go on an adventure, but also find an ending to the story he was living, and not just writing. I think he had good intentions and wanted to help.

In a way, it's kind of like why he went on the Warhorse to begin with. He wanted to do something new.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am still of the opinion that he wanted to help but there could be more than one reason as to why he jumped in. It seems he was going through a lot and perhaps it could have diverted his attention on some issues that were running in his mind.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

As he had admitted in the book that he is indeed impulsive, I think that there is a deeper reason as to why he volunteered in the rescue mission. I think it's one of his strategy to cope and to sort his thoughts and find answers to his questions.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Travis seems to have been undergoing struggles of his own. His mother needed nursing care and his pay as a local reporter was not sufficient. The employee medical cover did not cover many things too. This is one of the reasons why he had decided to join Larry to tow the Seattle Express. I am also thinking that somehow joining in the search for William would also provide some story.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

I think he genuinely wanted to help. Also, he was still energized from the excitement of his previous adventures at sea.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I thinkTravis was bored with his job with the newspaper. He needed a rush, and thought that Warhorse could provide him with that.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

The story reminds me a bit of that Chris McCandless guy who went to live in the wilderness. Sometimes, I truly don't understand people's actions - but I suppose that the only one they have to answer to is themselves. As for what made him go on the rescue mission, I'm not sure! I agree it was a combination of impulsiveness and dissatisfaction with his current situation.
Gikonyo Caroline
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gikonyo-caroline.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Gikonyo Caroline »

I think his current job as reporter does not give him the aderanline rush that this rescue mission would. I think he is also escaping from his girlfriend
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

I think it could be all those reasons and more. I think that mainly he was looking for something for himself and wanted to take the edge off of the pain he was feeling due to loss. It may seem like an impulsive decision but those are the kind we need sometimes to shake off the mundane.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I think he was bored with his life and was wanting some sort of purpose. He seemed really conflicted throughout the story about his profession and I kept wondering if he was really happy writing or wishing he had more.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

aolayide wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 12:28
DogoMulla wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 15:06 Personally, I think he was just impulsive. He lives for the adrenaline rush. Who quits a good job to 'get into trouble' - wondered Tugboat Annie. He is even described as scattered in the book.
I believe some people just have a good heart. It may not be because he likes getting into trouble, it may be because he likes to help people.
This is also true. By today's standards, Travis is a good soul. He sacrifices so much for others. He leaves whatever he is up to, just to help others out.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

I think that Travis went on the rescue mission because he wanted to be a part of an adventure with some sense of purpose, especially after witnessing Larry's accident.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

Azrevread wrote: 06 May 2019, 15:24 I think that Travis went on the rescue mission because he wanted to be a part of an adventure with some sense of purpose, especially after witnessing Larry's accident.
There are several sections in the novel that show Travis as someone who is willing to help friends when they need support.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”