Captain Steve’s Decision

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Captain Steve’s Decision

Post by Smiley 25 »

Do you think Captain Steve’s choice to abandon ship was the right one or do you think he jumped the gun? Do you think his inability to see his son very often and his being close to retirement age influenced his decision at all? Almost like self sabatoge. His heart and mind are clearly on his son. He loves his crew and doesn’t want any harm to come to them, but did he decide to jump ship more quickly because deep down he knows it will end his career as a Captain? I can’t imagine having to make such a decision. You hold not only your own life in your hands, but the lives of your entire crew. No one knows what they might do in a situation like that until they are in it. I feel like I would be more likely to abandon ship more quickly. I wouldn’t want to risk the lives of my people on a hunch. I personally think that Captain Steve made the right choice given the information he had. However I do think thoughts of being able to see his son more often might have played a subconscious role.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

In the situation he was in, there was nothing he could have done. His crew was in danger and their attempts to locate the fire were not bearing fruit. I think his decision was in the best interest of everyone. He risked his job by arriving at it and I do not think that this is a decision to be arrived at easily.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I can see where you're coming from, the subconscious does influence our decision making in subtle ways. However, I think Captian Steve at that moment was acting in the best interest of the ship, he has been captain for several years and in the text, he mentions the importance of staying calm as to not freak everyone else out or miss something vital. When the fire breaks out, it is already at a dangerous level to be controlled and when Captian Steve is informed he does try numerous methods to kill flame. But If I remember correctly, I think they have trouble trying to locate where another part of the fire is, right? They know its there because of the heat, but the heat indicates that it's in a dangerous place and the crew is unable to get to it. That creates a hostile environment on the ship, they have to abort.

If there was any hesitation or other second thoughts to abandon ship, I think it had more to do with possibly losing his job. Yes, the free time would allow him to be with his son more and reconnect, but what's the point of quality time if he doesn't have the funds to pay for his medical bills much less housing bills. The downside to being a parent most of the time is having to leave your kids for extended amounts of time to earn money for their care. It's awful because it removes the parent from playing other critical roles like support. As a result, Captin Steve's guilt I think stems from a deep seed inside of him filled with doubt and wondering if has actually a good father. And if he wasn't, then what a cruel way to met his end, lost at sea with his crew, people who he probably knew better than his own flesh and blood.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

His dilemma was great, he still wanted to be captain because he stated that retirement allowances wouldn't be enough to cater for his son's illness. At the time of the fire they couldn't access the store where fire equipment was and the only option was to abandon ship. He had also asked the clumsy engineer,Mark, to check the sensors but he didn't.

He also knew that the owners would try to blame him for abandoning ship. It was a tough decision and either way it wouldn't look right. If they stayed on board they would have been consumed by the fire and the raging sea.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I think he went by this sentiment, "Life is more important than material things." So abandoning the ship was the best decision he made so as to save lives.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I know that Steve regretted abandoning ship once he found out it was still floating. But honestly, if he had stayed aboard with the fire blazing, he would have most likely lost men due to burns and/or smoke inhalation. Just because the boat didn't sink doesn't mean it was habitable any longer. I really feel like he made the best decision, and he ultimately saved the lives of all of his crew.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I do not feel that Captain Steve's choice or decision to abandon the ship was based upon any other factor of which was going on in his personal life. I believe that the choice that he made was in genuine care that his crew makes it off the burning ship. I do not feel that he felt there was a better choice a chance at surviving versus a chance of burning alive with the ship.
Chelsea N. Hackett
abithacker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abithacker.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by abithacker »

That's a very insightful look into the motivations affecting Steve's choice. I think that his choice to abandon ship was based upon concern for his crew. As to his son, abandoning ship would further cause further difficulty for Steve and his son, because Steve would lose his job and source of income. Though arguably Steve and his son are better off at the end when Steve decides that they will live together instead of Steve leaving again to captain another ship. The author hinted that the fire was not an innocent accident - if that's because someone didn't properly fix the fire sensors or arson was involved, I'm not sure.
"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think" ~Albert Einstein
Nellbathory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nellbathory.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nellbathory »

I honestly can't imagine being on that ship that is burning and thinking anything else than - I NEED TO GET OFF. I mean, I know that he should have thought about the consequences but I think he did the right decision. The ship owners sometimes care more about the ship than the crew or the captain, it seems.
IloveSpain01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovespain01.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by IloveSpain01 »

I think he made the right decision. Since there were multiple fires as well as an intense amount of smoke, he made the best call. If he hadn't people could have died either from the fire or from smoke inhalation. The situation could have been much worse if he hadn't made the call. I think the thoughts of his son contributed to his decision, because he realized family is always more important.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

The decision to abandon ship was purely based on the responsibility to keep the crew safe. I don't think there was any relation to his son or age.
tiyamalik
Favorite Book: The Invisible Realm
Currently Reading: We are Blood and Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiyamalik.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by tiyamalik »

I think he was more worried about his crew, in the beginning, than he was of himself. Later on though, there were some decisions of his that didn't at all coincide with what the Captain had been in the start. You can blame old-age or his past for that.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

As he was responsible for everyone on the ship, he did what he could do to save the lives of everyone. I don't think that would be an easy decision to come at considering it might cost him his job.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

You bring up an interesting point about his motives for abandoning ship, but I do think that the safety of himself and his crew was still his primary reason for doing so. As for secondary/supporting reasons, he may very well have subconsciously wanted to find a way to spend more time with his son, even if that meant sabotaging his job.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I guess the decision would largely depend on what a person, in this case Steve, valued much, his work or colleagues. A person who'd want to keep his job would probably not abandon the ship till the last minute hence would have endangered the entire crew. I am of the opinion that he made the right decision.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”