Louise - Indifferent or Impactful?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Louise - Indifferent or Impactful?

Post by vishu »

How do you think of Louise as a character ? While she certainly exhibited determined personality traits, she appears as a person who holds little to no remorse after Larry's death. Does it narrow the the depth of her character's arc?
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

I don't think her lack of "sufficient" grief disqualifies her as a deep, meaningful character. Everyone grieves differently from one another, and differently for different losses. If she and Larry had grown apart, as it seemed that they had, then she may have felt little to nothing for him by the end of it, in which case her reaction was more to do with guilt over his accident than mourning over his loss. I don't think it's fair to tell someone how they ought to behave in response to a loss, since it's so dependent on the inner workings of the particular relationship.
vishu
Currently Reading:

Post by vishu »

evraealtana wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 18:27 I don't think her lack of "sufficient" grief disqualifies her as a deep, meaningful character. Everyone grieves differently from one another, and differently for different losses. If she and Larry had grown apart, as it seemed that they had, then she may have felt little to nothing for him by the end of it, in which case her reaction was more to do with guilt over his accident than mourning over his loss. I don't think it's fair to tell someone how they ought to behave in response to a loss, since it's so dependent on the inner workings of the particular relationship.
While an individual holds reign over his/her own emotions, a sensitive matter such as a partner's demise is bound to elicit emotions.. Of course, there is no such thing as sufficient grief neither is Louise's character wholly defined by it.. But doesn't it introduce the reader to another aspect of her persona?
evraealtana
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

vishu wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 22:25 While an individual holds reign over his/her own emotions, a sensitive matter such as a partner's demise is bound to elicit emotions.. Of course, there is no such thing as sufficient grief neither is Louise's character wholly defined by it.. But doesn't it introduce the reader to another aspect of her persona?
Not necessarily. I interpreted it as confirmation that their marriage really had died long before, and that she was staying more out of obligation than out of genuine affection. She even contemplated leaving him, while she was under the impression that he was cheating. Had he not been injured, and had she not been corrected on the subject of his infidelity, I believe she would have divorced him after the events of the novel. In which case - can she be blamed for not crying over the death of her soon-to-be-ex-husband?

I just don't think that marriage necessarily implies a close, loving, firmly-attached bond. Just because they were technically still wedded doesn't mean she feels deeply for him anymore, and therefore his death might not have been the profoundly moving, distressing event that it would have been for another couple. It seemed for her almost more like the death of a roommate, for which she felt partially responsible, rather than the death of someone she really cared for.

Maybe that was not what the author intended, or maybe it indicates a bond that was broken, potentially beyond repair. I personally believe the latter.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I, personally, felt like Louise did love her husband. She had a strong personality and didn't let her grief show. She was angry at him for getting hurt and for leaving her behind. I think the grieving would come later.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I think Louise not grieving is a part of her personality. She was portrayed as someone who seldom shows emotion when there is a task at hand. If it makes sense, I think her not grieving over Larry's death made her even more interesting for me. I mean, her character could have a whole arc telling her story and how she came to be this strong person.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I think Louise did still love her husband. Not everyone shows grief in the same way. Some look like they aren't grieving publicly but then fall apart when the funeral and all the business is taken care of.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
vishu
Currently Reading:

Post by vishu »

briellejee wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 04:28 I think Louise not grieving is a part of her personality. She was portrayed as someone who seldom shows emotion when there is a task at hand. If it makes sense, I think her not grieving over Larry's death made her even more interesting for me. I mean, her character could have a whole arc telling her story and how she came to be this strong person.
Right. It showed a different facet of her personality.
vishu
Currently Reading:

Post by vishu »

Prisallen wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 16:38 I, personally, felt like Louise did love her husband. She had a strong personality and didn't let her grief show. She was angry at him for getting hurt and for leaving her behind. I think the grieving would come later.
With a personality as strong as her, her deepest emotions were bound to be not easily revealed.
vishu
Currently Reading:

Post by vishu »

CatInTheHat wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 09:41 I think Louise did still love her husband. Not everyone shows grief in the same way. Some look like they aren't grieving publicly but then fall apart when the funeral and all the business is taken care of.
It is what leads to individuality. Though your belief that she still loved her husband is interesting.
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

I liked Louise. Her reaction to Larry’s death was appropriate for her character. I feel like she would be the type to put up a good front and then cry her eyes out when she is finally by herself. Louise has always had to be strong and do what is necessary to survive. She and her family had to do whatever was necessary to keep their business going. When you lose someone close to you there are a lot of emotions to deal with and that takes time. Not only was she dealing with grief over the loss of her husband, she was likely dealing with guilt over thinking he was cheating on her when maybe he wasn’t. She was also likely battling with the question of whether or not she could have done something differently that may have kept Larry from getting hurt in the first place. I imagine that it’s hard to go from hating someone so much that you wish them dead, to them actually dying.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It is her suspicion that might have affected how she mourned her husbands death. I guess she was insecure and may there was some of mistrust between them.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I think Louise loved her husband, at least I hope she did. With the way she was portrayed and how the other characters spoke on her constant jealousy, I feel like this hasn't been their argument involving possible infidelity. I forget who but one charcter mentioned either out loud or in thought how the pair have been bickering since before marriage.

Maybe it's just her personality, to be tough and expect the worst until proven wrong. Her thoughts and silent wishings for him to reap the consequences is what affects her mourning, perhaps she is religious or something and thinks her thoughts might have had a role in his death.
vishu
Currently Reading:

Post by vishu »

Kibetious wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 10:07 It is her suspicion that might have affected how she mourned her husbands death. I guess she was insecure and may there was some of mistrust between them.
Her suspicions did play a big role in her reaction towards her husband's death.
vishu
Currently Reading:

Post by vishu »

Smiley 25 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 23:23 I liked Louise. Her reaction to Larry’s death was appropriate for her character. I feel like she would be the type to put up a good front and then cry her eyes out when she is finally by herself. Louise has always had to be strong and do what is necessary to survive. She and her family had to do whatever was necessary to keep their business going. When you lose someone close to you there are a lot of emotions to deal with and that takes time. Not only was she dealing with grief over the loss of her husband, she was likely dealing with guilt over thinking he was cheating on her when maybe he wasn’t. She was also likely battling with the question of whether or not she could have done something differently that may have kept Larry from getting hurt in the first place. I imagine that it’s hard to go from hating someone so much that you wish them dead, to them actually dying.
As I stated earlier, it does show a facet of her character. It's not about the propensity of mourning.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”