Louise - Indifferent or Impactful?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Re: Louise - Indifferent or Impactful?

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Radiant3 wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 14:50 I think Louise did feel remorse after his death but had to put aside the full impact of the situation for the time being. She had to handle the responsibilities regarding her company and what the future held for her and her employees. There was also the inner conflict between her sadness about his death and her still unresolved anger towards Larry.
This is a valid assertion. Louise was under some pressure considering that her husband had just died and there was the company that was on the verge of collapsing also. However, I still believe that her attitude was largely affected by the fact that she did not trust Larry fully.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I certainly agree that you don't have to mourn "enough" for someone's death to be considered a good person. Her emotional reaction made sense for her mindset and situation, even if it isn't what we would normally think of as appropriate.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

At the end of everything, despite her constant doubts about her husband, Louise came out as impactful. She handled the Buckhorn tugs really well thus was able to tug the Seattle Express till the port. She is also left running the company that was on the verge of collapsing.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

I think that there are several stages of grief and many types of people. She was at the anger stage where she was upset at him for leaving her. I also don't think that her wanting to divorce him equates to her hating him, many persons get divorced because they are no longer in love with each other. We have to also remember that each person grieves in a different way and just because the pain isn't visible, does not mean that it is not there.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

Louise was a character that I did not particularly like. Her lack of grief actually bothered me. I do understand that she had mixed feeling about her husband, but even so I would expect a little more emotion. Just my two cents, though.
YL_Eytka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yl-eytka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by YL_Eytka »

I think that Louise had a lot on her plate with regards to emotions, I think she loved Larry and was just torn apart by her belief that he was cheating on her and this made her feel guilty when he died, but even more after she found out that he wasn't cheating on her. Also I agree with a lot of those above me in that Louise is not the outwardly emotional type
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I don't think she did mourn for her husband, its just that she has a strong personality and she has a different way of expressing her self.
unidhi05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unidhi05.html
Latest Review: Voice of the Elders by Greg Ripley

Post by unidhi05 »

Personally, I think that Louise's character is well established. She's a strong woman who doesn't let her emotions out so easily. And, because of trust issues with Larry, she's already shattered that her marriage is falling apart. I think, the grief of Larry's death will come later after she realises that her husband is innocent and wasn't cheating on her!
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

i feel sometimes strong characters can be misunderstood and she's a strong character all around. In my opinion she did love her husband and isn't as indiferent as she comes across.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

Once again, Charlie Sheldon is able to write reality. I've known people like Louise. Her anger at her husband for dying is so real and honest. If she felt nothing, she wouldn't have been angry. Her affinity for the people still missing shows she has a heart. Louise may not have been the most ethical person, but she came across as a woman who could hold her own in a man's world.
Emily Guerra
Currently Reading: I'll Give You the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-guerra.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emily Guerra »

evraealtana wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 18:27 I don't think her lack of "sufficient" grief disqualifies her as a deep, meaningful character. Everyone grieves differently from one another, and differently for different losses. If she and Larry had grown apart, as it seemed that they had, then she may have felt little to nothing for him by the end of it, in which case her reaction was more to do with guilt over his accident than mourning over his loss. I don't think it's fair to tell someone how they ought to behave in response to a loss, since it's so dependent on the inner workings of the particular relationship.
I agree. Grieving is a process and it's not the same for everyone. Everyone has a different way of acting and reacting while grieving. Always determined on how the relationship worked. Not everyone will fall into depression immediately or stop smiling/laughing for a while.
Emily Guerra
Currently Reading: I'll Give You the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-guerra.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emily Guerra »

Prisallen wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 16:38 I, personally, felt like Louise did love her husband. She had a strong personality and didn't let her grief show. She was angry at him for getting hurt and for leaving her behind. I think the grieving would come later.
It's a possibility. I think she had a lot to feel at the moment, maybe thinking of the company's future. In the grieving process, a lot can happen. She may show emotionless at the beginning, but time makes you feel the absence of a person. Even if the relationship wasn't in its best season.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I think even after Larry's death she was still caught up in the notion that he was cheating on her. It wasn't until she came to learn about the truth of his actions that she began to feel remorse. That was mixed up with her relief and happiness at finally getting the money she needed after so long, so it made her come off as kinda heartless and remorseless.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I think Louise was a strong woman who loved Larry. Everyone grieves differently so just because she wasn't openly crying doesn't mean she didn't feel his loss. Plus, after Larry she was in-charge. People depended on her. She couldn't afford to breakdown. She needed to be there for others. Maybe once she was settled with everything, she'd grieve privately.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”