First vs. third person

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Re: First vs. third person

Post by angiejack456 »

Perhaps the author used this method to differentiate between characters. When all characters have the same voice it can be difficult to remember who is currently speaking. Good writing includes the ability to create characters that stand out from one another.
Raja28
Currently Reading: R.I.P
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raja28.html
Latest Review: The Excoms by Brett Battles

Post by Raja28 »

I'm okay with both first and third person narratives as long as the author maintains consistency. Both styles have their own advantages while the first person narrative is, in my opinion, best suited for travel writing.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I think I was too invested in the story to ponder much about it. It didn't distract the flow of the story though. But now that you ask, I can't help wondering.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Charlie Sheldon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Charlie Sheldon »

I cannot really say why some points of view are third person and others first, or why I have more than one first person, except to say the style appeals to me and I find it easier to work this way here are some benefits for first person as opposed to third person for some things, backstory for example, but in the end it is a matter if style. I do think having all first person becomes, somehow, cute, but have no idea while I feel that way.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I've only read the sample of this book so far, as I'm in the middle of reading another, but the switching between first and third person narration seemed a little odd to me. Perhaps when I read the rest of the book it'll make more sense. I liked the opening pages which describe the fire on the ship and the crew having to launch the lifeboats. Gripping stuff.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Totally agree with you. I don't like inconsistencies when reading. As you said, it made me question the identities of the main characters. To me, first person is characterized by the use of 'I' and third person is characterized by the use of 'he, she, it'.
IloveSpain01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovespain01.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by IloveSpain01 »

I have noticed that a few chapters where the vantage point is from Travis, that there is a switch between first person to third. The others I haven't noticed, but I've also been very captivated by the whole story so far. I'm so engrossed in it that any other changes in persons has passed by me.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I liked it because the third person narrative gave a broader scope to the story, while the first person allowed me to connect with the characters more! Maybe the author did it to give this broader sense?
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

I think the author switched between the two for practical reasons, some POV's just worked better in first while others worked better in 3rd. This was my biggest grievance with the novel (say how much I enjoyed the book), it's just a pet peeve of mine when the book switches perspective like that.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

This is such an interesting question, and one that I would love to direct to that author himself. I personally don't like first person narratives, but somehow the mixture of the two, while it took some getting used to, wasn't so bad. Perhaps it has something to do with how 'related' to the character this author was while writing; perhaps he was just experimenting with this different writing technique...it's very hard to say.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

briellejee wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 03:03 It also confused me as I like reading in first person. But, I think the author wanted to provide a variety of perspectives in the story. To be honest, I would have liked it if each character could have somehow contributed as a first person. I also agree in some people here that writing it in third person made the author take control of the story.
I agree--showing each character's individual view would make for a clearer story. Do you think maybe some parts are third person as a way to keep the story open for future installments? Like, maybe the third person characters will have their own book and they have personal reflections on the events here that will only be revealed in the future books?
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I wondered about this as well. It's a little confusing and unexpected at first, but I think that adding the first person perspective adds depth to the characters in a more intimate way. When the author uses the omniscient point of view, it doesn't seem to go into as much depth, though you do get many different perspectives.
Vtonionline
Favorite Author: Charlie Sheldon
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Prophase
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vtonionline.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 76074

Post by Vtonionline »

I think it was done for a reason such as distinguishing and bringing to the fore the thoughts of those characters. I know Myra was in the first story and perhaps, the series is hers wholly. Steve played a key character role in Adrift and this may be why he also had a first-person perspective.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Based purely on my experience as a reader, I think there should be no more than one first-person perspective in any novel. Everyone else should be written in the third person. Way too confusing otherwise. (IMHO!)
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I found this to be a very frustrating aspect of this book and it made it so confusing I couldn't finish reading the book. I like the idea of different perspectives to give more context to the plot and relationships, but it sometimes just seemed like an error on the part of the author.
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”