First vs. third person

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

First vs. third person

Post by evraealtana »

Anyone have ideas as to why some characters were written in the first person, while others were written in third? I could see if one character - maybe Steve? - were the "main character" and the whole story was written from his perspective, with third-person portrayals of other characters as needed to carry the storyline. But then why was Myra also written in first person? And if it's to do with likability, connection to the story, etc, then why weren't William and Louise written in first? What distinguishes a "first person" character from a "third person" one?
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

Thanks so much for asking this question, this inconsistency confuses me as well. To me, first-person is characterized by the use of “I,” and third-person is characterized by the use of “He,” “She,” or “They.” Therefore, Myra's narration is the only one written in first-person, while the rest is written in third-person. I assumed it was an editing mistake when I was reading, but I'd love to hear what other people think of this.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

Perhaps using the third person gives readers a broader area of perspective (of the surroundings, circumstance, other characters) by using the main character of the chapter. And maybe using the first person allows the reader a more intimate insight of the character and what they are thinking. Like, maybe, it was important that the reader knows what Myra was thinking and feeling that it had to be delivered in the first person. I hope that made sense.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I think Louise, Myra and William were also able to narrate in first person. Only the secondary characters were in the third person. This is my take not unless I have not gotten the question quite well.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

Personally, I like this kind of writing style. While writing in the first person provides you some much needed insights, writing in third person makes it possible for the writer to direct the flow of the story.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

The switch between writing styles usually confuses me. Personally, I enjoy reading in the third person. I tend to ditch the books written in the first person. In this case, I assumed it was written this way to make the characters more relatable. I'm not entirely sure about Myra but maybe it was essential for the readers to know what she felt. I usually characterize the first person with the use of ”I, me” and the third person with the use of ”he, she, they”. The author’s usage was easy to understand and it didn't take away from the story.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
evraealtana
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

TuyetMai wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 23:14 Thanks so much for asking this question, this inconsistency confuses me as well. To me, first-person is characterized by the use of “I,” and third-person is characterized by the use of “He,” “She,” or “They.” Therefore, Myra's narration is the only one written in first-person, while the rest is written in third-person. I assumed it was an editing mistake when I was reading, but I'd love to hear what other people think of this.
Steve was also written in the first person. That's what confused me - that it was two of them. One would have been easier to explain, but TWO?!
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

Charlyt wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 08:33 Perhaps using the third person gives readers a broader area of perspective (of the surroundings, circumstance, other characters) by using the main character of the chapter. And maybe using the first person allows the reader a more intimate insight of the character and what they are thinking. Like, maybe, it was important that the reader knows what Myra was thinking and feeling that it had to be delivered in the first person. I hope that made sense.
I hear what you're saying. But the parts written in third person were omniscient; we hear what Louise, William, and Travis are thinking and feeling, even though it's written as "Louise was angry", "William thought of his grandmother", etc. I didn't see a need for some characters to be speaking themselves (1st) while others could be merely spoken about (3rd), since we get the same information either way. So confusing!
unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I also wasn't sure why two characters were in first-person but the rest were in third. I didn't read Strong Heart - was Myra's character a first-person narrative in that book? In that case, maybe Myra was continuing to be first-person from that book, and then Steve, since Adrift is "his" story with his boat, is also added to the first-person narrative?
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

It also confused me as I like reading in first person. But, I think the author wanted to provide a variety of perspectives in the story. To be honest, I would have liked it if each character could have somehow contributed as a first person. I also agree in some people here that writing it in third person made the author take control of the story.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I don't think I have read a book before in which some of the characters speak in first person and some of the story is told in third person. I wondered why he did this, at the beginning. It could have been confusing, but, the fact that he started each chapter with the person's name helped to keep straight who was talking in first person this time, and who the chapter was about. I thought it was very well written and was impressed by the unusual style, by the end.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Prisallen wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 16:55 the fact that he started each chapter with the person's name helped to keep straight who was talking in first person this time, and who the chapter was about.
Yes, I agree that the style was a bit confusing at first but then this aspect of the book was helpful while reading it. It certainly took a while before getting used to it though.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

briellejee wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 04:24
Prisallen wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 16:55 the fact that he started each chapter with the person's name helped to keep straight who was talking in first person this time, and who the chapter was about.
Yes, I agree that the style was a bit confusing at first but then this aspect of the book was helpful while reading it. It certainly took a while before getting used to it though.
Yes it did. I wonder if his previous books were written in the same style.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I think this stylistic choice must have been because he wanted to highlight the thoughts of certain characters. Aside from third person omnipotent, secondary characters thoughts are generally masked. Perhaps he just really wanted us to hear what they were thinking?
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Even though I usually find this kind of thing confusing, I really didn't in Adrift. I felt like the story still flowed well and that the first-person perspectives added dimension to the story.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”