Who was your favorite character?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Who was your favorite character?

Post by Galesphere »

I liked Steve. He had a no nonsense type of personality, and his decision to abandon ship was thoughtful and matter-of-fact. You could tell he was a good, thorough captain too, because he had his personal journal to corroborate with the ship's journal. I found him dependable and frank, which is something I value in people.
"The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him."
-Thomas Hardy
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I loved William. He took the time to evaluate who out of the crew was most likely to survive the hike to get help. He didn't let the urgency of the situation rush his decision either. He also made sure Anne had the clothing she needed, even though that meant taking it from someone who wasn't going to be happy about it. He was a good leader and kept everyone calm with his storytelling. He also had so many other characters devoted to him, which also makes him that much more endearing.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

It would be Larry for me, mostly due to his strong personality.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
elizaron878
Currently Reading: The Copyist
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizaron878.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by elizaron878 »

I liked Anne, because of her courage, and the fact that she was making a snow cave where she collapsed.
Many girls her age wouldn't have been able to endure what she did.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

They all had such strong, distinctive personalities. I would have to say, William. He had a quiet and steadfast strength about him.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

unamilagra wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 08:17 One thing I really loved about this book was the depth of so many characters. I liked that none of them were perfect. They all had strong points and flaws. I've been having trouble picking my favorite. I find I was really drawn to Pete. He seemed to have such a good heart despite having the hardships with his leg and marital situation. I found myself wanting to read Strong Heart so I could learn a little bit more about him. I also really liked Anne, despite the fact that we never read the story from her point of view. She was so strong and brave despite being young and inexperienced. She was terrified of what she had to do but did it anyway.
Pete was definitely a nice character. He seems to be very determined in what he does. He also loves his son, Sam, and wants the best for him. Too sad that he seems to be working for the wrong company.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Galesphere wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 09:51 I liked Steve. He had a no nonsense type of personality, and his decision to abandon ship was thoughtful and matter-of-fact. You could tell he was a good, thorough captain too, because he had his personal journal to corroborate with the ship's journal. I found him dependable and frank, which is something I value in people.
I am one person who liked how Steve was able to pay attention to detail. The notebook may not have been able to help him in the case to retain his work since Buckhorn were bent on firing him. I learned something from this though since most of the time we may be drawn to assume things and hence will be caught defenseless.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

unamilagra wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 08:17 One thing I really loved about this book was the depth of so many characters. I liked that none of them were perfect. They all had strong points and flaws. I've been having trouble picking my favorite. I find I was really drawn to Pete. He seemed to have such a good heart despite having the hardships with his leg and marital situation. I found myself wanting to read Strong Heart so I could learn a little bit more about him. I also really liked Anne, despite the fact that we never read the story from her point of view. She was so strong and brave despite being young and inexperienced. She was terrified of what she had to do but did it anyway.
Pete, who worked for the antagonist but was or promises to be a key protagonist.
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

I think that William would be my favorite, followed closely by Sarah. Then again, I have always been drawn to indigenous culture. William's knowledge of the wild, his leadership, and his willingness to put his life on the line saved the survivors of the lifeboat he piloted. He did it in a very humble and uncompromising way.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

Definitely William. I like that he's optimistic and he makes a good leader.
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

I think that Sarah's courage and dedication impressed me most of all. This makea her my favorite character.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

William's strong character is inspiring. I found his calm disposition under such dire circumstances very interesting. Such selfless, servant leadership is so touching.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

vishu wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 12:50 Larry. Though many might not choose him, his character really stood out to me in the book.
Personally, I don't have anything against Larry. He was a good leader who was ready to lead by example. Many times you will find that most leaders will sit and watch as things are being done. This was not the character of Larry.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

My favorite character was Sarah. I very much admired her grit. She came across as a loveable and trustworthy person to me. I usually enjoy such characters.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

My favorite is Sarah. I admire her strength and optimism. She's positive and brave and always wants to help.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”