Sarah's role

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Re: Sarah's role

Post by Eclecticmama »

For the crew, it was definitely William. They all looked up to him, even Randall to a degree. They wanted him to tell his tale, to completion, to keep their minds off of being stranded on the rocky coast.
But I think for William, it was Sarah. He truly believed her when she said she saw the bear, and I think he was hanging on in the end not only for Myra, but for Sarah as well.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

briellejee wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 03:32 For me, it was Sarah's personality that was holding the crew together. I mean, everyone has their fair share of giving up and losing sanity, but Sarah kept her feet on the ground and try to give strength in the midst of the impossible.
I totally agree. She was an inspiration to everything one around her. Her story has inspired the stranded crew. I think she served as a source of hope.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Sarah was one of my favorite character for her mental strength and optimism. I think she was a constant support for Myra and gave her hope and faith for William's survival. Also, Sarah's story must have played a key role in boosting the motivation of the stranded crew.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Sarah represents the power of positive thinking. Everyone needs hope.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I would have to give the credit to William. He knew his crew needed encouragement. It was his idea to tell them the story of Sarah. We don't really hear how he retold the story of Sarah. Did he embellish Sarah's experience to encourage his own crew? If a young teen could survive in the woods on her own, then why not an experienced group of adults who could work together to survive? This was very well written by the author, giving just enough detail and leaving the rest up to our imaginations!
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

Sarah played a huge role in Adrift. Her youthful optimism kept Myra going when her father was lost. She wanted Myra to go search for William. She told Myra about the sweat lodge ceremony. When Myra finally decided to go look for William once Anne was found, she said she wanted Sarah to come with for her "spirit and strength." I don't think the people waiting at home would have been able to stay so strong if it wasn't for Sarah.

For those stranded, Sarah's story was definitely important. For some, I think they found strength in it. Others I think were just entertained. So Sarah and William were both important in keeping morale up.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Charlyt wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 00:04 How important was Sarah as a characterer to the other people around her? She was the youngest and yet she was the most positive person and believed William was still alive.

In your opinion, was it William or Sarah (through William's stories) that was the source of strength and sanity for the crew that was stranded on the island to survive?
This is a difficult question but I believe it will depend on the point of view we see it from. First, it was William who narrated the story. Without him, the others would have never heard about Sarah. Secondly, the story was mainly about Sarah. So, Sarah becomes important too. I am convinced that both Sarah and William played a great role.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Sara played a central role in making sure william was found. Her strong belief that william was still alive contributed, to a considerable level, to the continuity of the story. Any character-driven reader will definitely find her likable.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Charlyt wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 00:04 How important was Sarah as a characterer to the other people around her? She was the youngest and yet she was the most positive person and believed William was still alive.

In your opinion, was it William or Sarah (through William's stories) that was the source of strength and sanity for the crew that was stranded on the island to survive?
William's potrayal of Sarah was what kept the crew active in their argument of the impossibility of Sarah. So Sarah was vital.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Eclecticmama wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 12:08 For the crew, it was definitely William. They all looked up to him, even Randall to a degree. They wanted him to tell his tale, to completion, to keep their minds off of being stranded on the rocky coast.
But I think for William, it was Sarah. He truly believed her when she said she saw the bear, and I think he was hanging on in the end not only for Myra, but for Sarah as well.
This is very true. Sarah never failed William in this. Even when Myra seemed to have given up hope, Sarah maintained a firm believe that William would be found alive. I had not seen it this way. It is the best way to view this.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

AKShanmar12 wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 15:00 Sarah represents the mysticism and strength of the native traditions and beliefs with the purity of a child's understanding. She is a foil to the confusion, doubt, and tainted morals of the adults around her.
I am still trying to understand how she could maintain such a strong and firm belief that William was still alive despite the number of those who believed otherwise. There must be a role of this in William's survival.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Looking at Sarah, I am now getting to know why Jesus said that unless someone has faith like that of a child then they would not see the Kingdom of heaven. Sarah is the complete opposite of the others who seemed to have put everything on the scales and found that William's survival was impossible. The survivors who were with William could not also believe the story that William was narrating.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 974
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Nerea wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 03:52 I think the story about Sarah is what that inspired the sanity and strength enjoyed by the crew. The narrator, William, also played a part.
Exactly. The crew would not know about Sarah if not for William.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 04:21 Sarah had that positive determination that William was okay and sometimes, I argued that it was forsight or intuition. She helped Myra believe that she might see her father again.
Yes, it was Sarah's faith that made Myra take the journey in search of William.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

vishu wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 12:55 Sarah is the kind of a character that is needed to bring out the positivity in the book and prevent it from teetering to the dark side.
Very well put. Sarah was the only one who was sure that William was alive.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”