Sarah's role

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Re: Sarah's role

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Supergirl1 wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 12:24 Sarah was the reason I wanted to read this book in the first place. Her role in Strong Heart had me pining for more.
She was incredible in Strong Heart. Her bravery was evident in this book as well.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

AKShanmar12 wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 15:00 Sarah represents the mysticism and strength of the native traditions and beliefs with the purity of a child's understanding. She is a foil to the confusion, doubt, and tainted morals of the adults around her.
That's an amazing way to put it. Sarah's faith and determination played a major role in both the novels.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Prisallen wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 19:53 I didn't read the earlier book, and there were times in the story that I felt like I was missing something because of it. I think she played a very important part because she kept telling everyone that William was still alive and that they needed to go get him.
Exactly, I think it was because of her that the excursion to save William was undertaken.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

briellejee wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 03:32 For me, it was Sarah's personality that was holding the crew together. I mean, everyone has their fair share of giving up and losing sanity, but Sarah kept her feet on the ground and try to give strength in the midst of the impossible.
Exactly. It was her faith that mobilized Myra and the others to go look for William.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Lady-of-Literature wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 12:40 I really enjoyed reading about Sarah, she holds many unmovable characteristics that I find inspiring. I imagine the other characters, survivors and otherwise, feel the same way. Sarah acts as an immovable force of hope back on the mainland, when the future looks dim she holds on to the belief that the odds are in their favor. She also represents what spiritual connection and reconnecting with your roots and nature can do for you. This feeling of hope and the spiritual belief carries on through William's stories of her. After all isn't what stories do, pass down lessons and thoughts years after they happen to hopefully influence those who hear it.
Yes, even in the preceding book it was through Sarah that the reconnection to our spiritual roots and nature was depicted.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

shaz1994 wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 04:36 In William's story Sarah was the pillar of hope, to Myra she was the source of faith that her father was still alive. She also is a reminder that for one who hasn't read the fir book then you should make an effort to read it.
Yup, her character does make one want to read the previous book. Fortunately for me, I had read it. So, it helped me understand the situations and certain characters with a wider perspective I guess.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Michgal 32 wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 14:56 Sarah played a very important part especially in keeping the other crew members occupied and in finding William. At some point she was almost the only positive person on William being alive.
Exactly. It was she who drove Myra and the others to go look for William.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Ekta Kumari wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 17:25 Sarah was one of my favorite character for her mental strength and optimism. I think she was a constant support for Myra and gave her hope and faith for William's survival. Also, Sarah's story must have played a key role in boosting the motivation of the stranded crew.
She had ine one of my favourites from the first book. In this book, thogh she played a minor role, she played an I portent one. She was a source of hope and optimism.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

lisalynn wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 20:56 Sarah represents the power of positive thinking. Everyone needs hope.
Yes. Everyone needs hope, and in this book Sarah was a source of that hope.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

juliusotieno02 wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 03:53 Sara played a central role in making sure william was found. Her strong belief that william was still alive contributed, to a considerable level, to the continuity of the story. Any character-driven reader will definitely find her likable.
I found her more than likable. She was one of my favourites from the first book itself.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kibetious wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 06:36 Looking at Sarah, I am now getting to know why Jesus said that unless someone has faith like that of a child then they would not see the Kingdom of heaven. Sarah is the complete opposite of the others who seemed to have put everything on the scales and found that William's survival was impossible. The survivors who were with William could not also believe the story that William was narrating.
I think this verse perfectly describes Sarah. Her faith seemed films to some, but in the end her believe that William was alive proved true.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

In my opinion, Sarah was a very important characters. In fact, she was my favorite! Although she was young, I felt that her positivity and grit were a noteworthy aspect and did lend a helping hand to the others.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I think Sarah was important for character morale, but I didn't fully understand her. She sometimes came off a little two-dimensional, which was a shame because she seemed like she had a lot of potential as a character.
kelly60
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 1413
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by kelly60 »

I felt that Sarah was the strength behind it all. I thoroughly enjoyed her character.
“If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book.” – J.K. Rowling

“In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you.” – Mortimer J. Adler
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I think you could say that at the core of it all, Sarah was the one whose determination and spirit kept everyone else going, even through William's stories about her to the rest of the crew that was stranded. That's why Sarah is my favorite character! :)
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”