Re: What do you think about Louise's relationship with Larry?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Re: Re: What do you think about Louise's relationship with Larry?

Post by Anthony__ »

I think that Louise does not really know what she want. Also, I think the only connection they had is the business and nothing more, No love.
Wilkister94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister94.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Wilkister94 »

As per me I think Louise loved Larry because she cared about him. You don't care about someone you don't love.
Look where you want to go in life, not at where you don’t want to go.
Rob White
Christine Penny
Currently Reading: Bad Medicine
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-penny.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christine Penny »

I think Louise and Larry were not only my favorite characters but also the main characters of the book, their story lasted throughout the book. Louise and Larry were married mariners both at heart, home and sea. They never would have gotten a divorce, because of the life they lived. It was a hard life but it built character into the both of them and although she was mad at Larry at no time did she stop loving him. She just loved to bitch about him, if was her love language. He was always her husband and always would be. That is why she took it in stride when she found out she was wrong about the love affair that she silently accused him of and was once again happy with her husband...proud of him even. They were a stable couple.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

I think that Louise and Larry were both devoted each other in terms of their marriage and their maritime
careers. The business debts and the danger of running a salvage business probably put a strain on their
marriage and it showed through Louise's jealousy and Larry's indifference.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

TuyetMai wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 23:33 I think they must had been really in love for Louise to get so angry at the thought of him cheating. If she didn't care, then she wouldn't be so worked up. Something must had happened between them in the past for her to lose all trust for him. Their past was never mentioned in the book, unfortunately.
I feel the same way. It was unfortunate that Larry passed away before she could know the truth. I think she would be very sad and angry for a long while after his death. Even though she finds out later that he did not have an affair this time. Louise not having closure will be haunting for her, and that makes it even sadder. There had to be something that made her suspicious and jealous. :( :( :(
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

Azrevread wrote: 07 May 2019, 15:49 I think that Louise and Larry were both devoted each other in terms of their marriage and their maritime
careers. The business debts and the danger of running a salvage business probably put a strain on their
marriage and it showed through Louise's jealousy and Larry's indifference.
There were several sections in the book where the reader could see that both the characters of Larry
and Louise continued to work at their private salvage business even though they disagreed with each other.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I think she did love Larry, but she had insecurities. I think these insecurities and concerns over what Larry might be doing left her with bitter feelings towards him, and she was probably so worn down and emotionally strained by the end it was hard for her to grieve properly. I think she's a very complex character.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

It is very practical although I did not agree with it..I would still say, it is still very strong.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Ultimately, Larry and Louise were both very human and very flawed—and that’s something I really liked about Adrift, how that the characters acted like real people. I think each was trying to do the best that they could, which is the most you can ask of anybody. Larry’s life insurance did help Louise out tremendously, so it’s understandable that she would be relieved to have that money. I think that Larry and Louise did truly care about each other, in their own ways. It’s just that a lot of emotional baggage and misunderstandings had gotten in the way, which is true in a lot of relationships.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

Louise loved Larry that's why she felt insecure like he was cheating on her. She was stressed enough with her business that she couldn't be that remorseful to show after his death
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

It was an almost love-hate relationship between Louise and Larry. She was angry with his cheating(an un-forgivable offense), and at the same time, she grieved after he died. Her anger at his dying showed she did care. Maybe more than she knew.
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

I think that they love each other and that Louise and Larry had a good marriage. I think because Louise did not know what Larry was doing. And that is one of the first things that people say is that my husband or wife is seeing someone or she would not have been jealous or say that she was mad she may have been trying to get Larry and the others to tell her what was up by acting so mad.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I agree that Louise seemed not to regret Larry's death. What I don't understand is that she wasn't only upset with him about the alleged affair, but she hated him. From the book, it doesn't seem that Larry had been unfaithful to her during their marriage, but nevertheless, she was very angry with him without proof of her claim, especially after his death. I know she was a strong woman, but I wish she would at least showed more remorse; at least to convinced me that she really cared for him.
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

I think Louise downplayed her feelings for Larry, that she thinks she doesn't give a damn. But her suspicions and jealousy kind of revealed to the other characters that she really loved Larry. Sadly, she realized too late that Larry was faithful to her and truly loves her only in the end. And it's one of the greatest lessons you can pick up from the story.
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

I would not stay in that kind of relationship, i mean i always treat my girl right..if we do not do something very romantic anymore, why continue?
the fights and business priorities are not that good to me. more important in my opinion is our bonding. they had a tough relationship

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”