Re: Was the ending plausible?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Post Reply
Kajori50
Posts: 1173
Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 15:10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: The Darkness of Treading Water by Bradley Spencer

Re: Was the ending plausible?

Post by Kajori50 » 27 Apr 2019, 12:46

chelhack wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 04:00
I believe it was plausible he was not going to die without seeing or his daughter being there. Plus the fact that he was frozen I have before heard of people living after being frozen before.
I see your point. Though, I still think the chances are slim in real life. So, I would consider it a miracle.

User avatar
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2156
Joined: 26 Jul 2017, 01:48
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: The Onam Rhyme and Other Passages from Time, (American Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Is God Worth a Dime by Sandra Kay Cooper

Post by Kibetious » 28 Apr 2019, 21:55

briellejee wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 04:10
It was plausible. William is both mentally and physically strong. His experience back then in their hikes could probably be the reason why he was able to survive in the end. However, my nerdy side believes that hypothermia is rapid and that his time out there could have probably killed him. But we never knew how he managed to survive, so there must be something that he did.
I think I can also attribute his survival to his mental and physical strength. It is always said that defeat starts in the mind. For William, he had grown in Haida Gwaii and I guess this somehow had enabled to develop some adaptations to this environment.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

User avatar
Ferdinand_otieno
Posts: 1637
Joined: 03 Jun 2017, 12:54
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
2018 Reading Goal: 250
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 140
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading: Amethyst of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 809
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Peoushi: An American Legend by Michael F. McWilliams
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_otieno » 28 Apr 2019, 22:59

Kajori50 wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 15:17
Charlie Sheldon's Adrift is an adventurous naval tale. In this book William played a key role. He put his life at risk to save the crew. When everyone was found, he was still lost. It was after quite some time when Myra and her compatriots found him in the frozen wilds of Haida Gwaii. She even thought that he was dead. However, that was not the case. He was very much alive. Though this made the ending happy, it was nothing short of a miracle.

I would love to know whether you all think his survival was practically plausible, or it was just one of those things that can only happen in fiction?
It was very plausible considering his hardened life.

Kajori50
Posts: 1173
Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 15:10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: The Darkness of Treading Water by Bradley Spencer

Post by Kajori50 » 29 Apr 2019, 14:35

Kibetious wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 21:55
briellejee wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 04:10
It was plausible. William is both mentally and physically strong. His experience back then in their hikes could probably be the reason why he was able to survive in the end. However, my nerdy side believes that hypothermia is rapid and that his time out there could have probably killed him. But we never knew how he managed to survive, so there must be something that he did.
I think I can also attribute his survival to his mental and physical strength. It is always said that defeat starts in the mind. For William, he had grown in Haida Gwaii and I guess this somehow had enabled to develop some adaptations to this environment.
I can't say much about his physical strength as his age was slowly catching up with him. Though, I must say that his mental strength was commendable. Also, his roots did play a role in his survival, I guess

Kajori50
Posts: 1173
Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 15:10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: The Darkness of Treading Water by Bradley Spencer

Post by Kajori50 » 29 Apr 2019, 14:36

Ferdinand_otieno wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 22:59
Kajori50 wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 15:17
Charlie Sheldon's Adrift is an adventurous naval tale. In this book William played a key role. He put his life at risk to save the crew. When everyone was found, he was still lost. It was after quite some time when Myra and her compatriots found him in the frozen wilds of Haida Gwaii. She even thought that he was dead. However, that was not the case. He was very much alive. Though this made the ending happy, it was nothing short of a miracle.

I would love to know whether you all think his survival was practically plausible, or it was just one of those things that can only happen in fiction?
It was very plausible considering his hardened life.
He did have a hardened life, but for a person of his age it does some like a rare possibility. Though, I am glad that he survived.

User avatar
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2156
Joined: 26 Jul 2017, 01:48
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: The Onam Rhyme and Other Passages from Time, (American Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Is God Worth a Dime by Sandra Kay Cooper

Post by Kibetious » 30 Apr 2019, 06:55

I believe the author included the discussion on spirituality for a reason. Sarah, Myra, and Tom also went to the prayer caves with a reason. I guess this might have contributed greatly to how things turned out eventually.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

User avatar
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2156
Joined: 26 Jul 2017, 01:48
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: The Onam Rhyme and Other Passages from Time, (American Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Is God Worth a Dime by Sandra Kay Cooper

Post by Kibetious » 30 Apr 2019, 06:58

Kajori50 wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 14:35
Kibetious wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 21:55
briellejee wrote:
05 Apr 2019, 04:10
It was plausible. William is both mentally and physically strong. His experience back then in their hikes could probably be the reason why he was able to survive in the end. However, my nerdy side believes that hypothermia is rapid and that his time out there could have probably killed him. But we never knew how he managed to survive, so there must be something that he did.
I think I can also attribute his survival to his mental and physical strength. It is always said that defeat starts in the mind. For William, he had grown in Haida Gwaii and I guess this somehow had enabled to develop some adaptations to this environment.
I can't say much about his physical strength as his age was slowly catching up with him. Though, I must say that his mental strength was commendable. Also, his roots did play a role in his survival, I guess
I am thinking that his physical strength played a role whereby he was able to walk in an attempt to find help. I guess both Anne and William would have gone far if William had not sprained his knee. Also, surviving in the cold with little food for a long time is not a little thing even for one who is physically strong.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

User avatar
Ferdinand_otieno
Posts: 1637
Joined: 03 Jun 2017, 12:54
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
2018 Reading Goal: 250
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 140
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading: Amethyst of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 809
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Peoushi: An American Legend by Michael F. McWilliams
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_otieno » 30 Apr 2019, 09:13

Still going with maybe.

Kajori50
Posts: 1173
Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 15:10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: The Darkness of Treading Water by Bradley Spencer

Post by Kajori50 » 30 Apr 2019, 11:54

Kibetious wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 06:58
Kajori50 wrote:
29 Apr 2019, 14:35
Kibetious wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 21:55


I think I can also attribute his survival to his mental and physical strength. It is always said that defeat starts in the mind. For William, he had grown in Haida Gwaii and I guess this somehow had enabled to develop some adaptations to this environment.
I can't say much about his physical strength as his age was slowly catching up with him. Though, I must say that his mental strength was commendable. Also, his roots did play a role in his survival, I guess
I am thinking that his physical strength played a role whereby he was able to walk in an attempt to find help. I guess both Anne and William would have gone far if William had not sprained his knee. Also, surviving in the cold with little food for a long time is not a little thing even for one who is physically strong.
Also, surviving in the cold with little food for a long time is not a little thing even for one who is physically strong.
I am not even sure if I could survive in a situation like that.

User avatar
Disneyland
Posts: 564
Joined: 11 Feb 2017, 22:23
2019 Reading Goal: 17
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 182
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 645
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disneyland.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Disneyland » 30 Apr 2019, 18:53

I find the ending of William being alive in the story plausible. The author of the book has tried to point out towards an optimistic fact of life. This is the main purpose and drive to write a story!

User avatar
mmm17
Posts: 339
Joined: 23 Dec 2018, 09:24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Killing History by L.K. Samuels

Post by mmm17 » 01 May 2019, 10:13

I do think that William's survival was plausible. Although it might seem one of those things that can only happen in fiction, real life is full of situations one would never have thought possible. We see miracles happen all the time!

User avatar
Ferdinand_otieno
Posts: 1637
Joined: 03 Jun 2017, 12:54
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
2018 Reading Goal: 250
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 140
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading: Amethyst of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 809
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Peoushi: An American Legend by Michael F. McWilliams
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_otieno » 01 May 2019, 12:35

mmm17 wrote:
01 May 2019, 10:13
I do think that William's survival was plausible. Although it might seem one of those things that can only happen in fiction, real life is full of situations one would never have thought possible. We see miracles happen all the time!
Hardier life, hardier disposition. It definitely could have happened.

Kajori50
Posts: 1173
Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 15:10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: The Darkness of Treading Water by Bradley Spencer

Post by Kajori50 » 01 May 2019, 14:26

Disneyland wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 18:53
I find the ending of William being alive in the story plausible. The author of the book has tried to point out towards an optimistic fact of life. This is the main purpose and drive to write a story!
Well yes, but I think a book should also depict the practical parts of life. William's survival made me happy, but I would like to consider it a miracle as in real life something like that happens rarely.

Kajori50
Posts: 1173
Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 15:10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: The Darkness of Treading Water by Bradley Spencer

Post by Kajori50 » 01 May 2019, 14:28

mmm17 wrote:
01 May 2019, 10:13
I do think that William's survival was plausible. Although it might seem one of those things that can only happen in fiction, real life is full of situations one would never have thought possible. We see miracles happen all the time!
Absolutely, and this particular miracle made me exceedingly happy. Being a sucker for happy endings, I do not particularly like death.

Kajori50
Posts: 1173
Joined: 10 Aug 2018, 15:10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori50.html
Latest Review: The Darkness of Treading Water by Bradley Spencer

Post by Kajori50 » 01 May 2019, 14:29

Ferdinand_otieno wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 09:13
Still going with maybe.
Well, as of now I consider it to be a miracle.

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”