Re: Was the ending plausible?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Re: Re: Was the ending plausible?

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Smiley 25 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 22:41 I think it is definitely possible. We hear all the time how someone lived that shouldn’t have. How someone miraculously pulled through when all medical reasoning says they shouldn’t. Also, as others have mentioned above, spirituality and faith play a large role as well. It was believable enough that I didn’t immediately dismiss it when I read it.
This is true. Some things defy the laws of nature and cannot be explained. Maybe this was the intention of the author. Perhaps this was evident from Sarah's faith too that William would be found alive.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

I think the ending seems plausible. It depends on an individual capabilities. Thank you for bringing up the issue though.
Ralibeau
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ralibeau.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Ralibeau »

Myra saw him in a vision and he told her that he was waiting for her. Based on that I think his will to be alive for his daughter may very well keep him that way.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Could this happen? Possibly. But taking his age into consideration, it becomes a little less believable.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

evraealtana wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 20:10 I don’t really think it could happen - it makes a nice ending for a fictional story, but in real life hypothermia kills, and does it in a hurry. You can only survive so many cells being frozen before you just stop functioning, especially if you aren't moving much and therefore can't warm yourself. I'm not convinced that it's realistic.
This was one of the thoughts that plagued me. I am still in the middle. It could happen, but that would be miraculous, I guess.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

TuyetMai wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 23:00 I think it plausible. I've read some similar cases where people come back from the death after prolonged exposure to cold temperatures. There are other people who died under the same condition, so I guess it depends on their physics and wills to live.
This is a very pertinent point. I guess you could add luck to the mix.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 23:38 There is no unanimous rule for this. Depends on the body's reaction. As rare as it is, but there have been similar cases in real life, which makes the ending plausible.
Yup, it is extremely rare. Though I think that it is miraculous as well as William was truly in his old age.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kibetious wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 08:27 I don't know why I kept I on suspecting that he would be found alive. However, he was in such a bad state and I had to read the segment twice to confirm whether he was alive. The chances of survival in such an environment were slim but I think the ending is still plausible.
I wanted him to survive as well, though the chances of his survival were thin. I guess his survival made the ending happy for me.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

vishu wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 12:36 Realistically, I don't think the ending seems plausible. Though it certainly strikes the message that a person's determination and will can overthrow any difficulties, which seems a miracle for the mass.
I found that there have been such cases in real life. However, they are extremely rare. Hence, I think that William's survival was a miracle. Your comment about a person's determination and will rings true.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Prisallen wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 19:33 I think it would take a miracle, but miracles do happen, so I think it is plausible.
Exactly my thoughts. I would like to believe that miracles happen in real life as well.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

briellejee wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 04:10 It was plausible. William is both mentally and physically strong. His experience back then in their hikes could probably be the reason why he was able to survive in the end. However, my nerdy side believes that hypothermia is rapid and that his time out there could have probably killed him. But we never knew how he managed to survive, so there must be something that he did.
Though he was strong, he was still aging. However, his experiences and connection to Haidda Gwaii may have worked in his favour. I agree that he must have done something, or maybe it was plain old miracle.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

CatInTheHat wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 09:58 I think it's plausible but highly unlikely for someone his age.
That is what I was thinking. Rare as it is, survival may have been possible. However, William's age makes it a bit unlikely. Though, I am happy that he survived.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

briellejee wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 09:38
CatInTheHat wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 09:58 I think it's plausible but highly unlikely for someone his age.
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: now that you mentioned it, i think for someone his age, it was highly unlikely to survive the ordeal.
I think it was a miracle of sorts.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kister94 wrote: 06 Apr 2019, 10:44 As per me the ending of the book was applause because it reveals the power of solidarity and faith.
The power of solidarity and faith is revealed by the incident. However, it is somewhat rare in real life. Though, I am happy that William survived.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Smiley 25 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 22:41 I think it is definitely possible. We hear all the time how someone lived that shouldn’t have. How someone miraculously pulled through when all medical reasoning says they shouldn’t. Also, as others have mentioned above, spirituality and faith play a large role as well. It was believable enough that I didn’t immediately dismiss it when I read it.
I was actually happy that William survived, else I would have been in a dismal mood. It happens in real life, but it is rare. It was miraculous or his bond with his homeland, perhaps.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”