Re: Was the ending plausible?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Re: Was the ending plausible?

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

chelhack wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 04:00 I believe it was plausible he was not going to die without seeing or his daughter being there. Plus the fact that he was frozen I have before heard of people living after being frozen before.
I see your point. Though, I still think the chances are slim in real life. So, I would consider it a miracle.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

briellejee wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 04:10 It was plausible. William is both mentally and physically strong. His experience back then in their hikes could probably be the reason why he was able to survive in the end. However, my nerdy side believes that hypothermia is rapid and that his time out there could have probably killed him. But we never knew how he managed to survive, so there must be something that he did.
I think I can also attribute his survival to his mental and physical strength. It is always said that defeat starts in the mind. For William, he had grown in Haida Gwaii and I guess this somehow had enabled to develop some adaptations to this environment.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kajori50 wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 15:17 Charlie Sheldon's Adrift is an adventurous naval tale. In this book William played a key role. He put his life at risk to save the crew. When everyone was found, he was still lost. It was after quite some time when Myra and her compatriots found him in the frozen wilds of Haida Gwaii. She even thought that he was dead. However, that was not the case. He was very much alive. Though this made the ending happy, it was nothing short of a miracle.

I would love to know whether you all think his survival was practically plausible, or it was just one of those things that can only happen in fiction?
It was very plausible considering his hardened life.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kibetious wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 21:55
briellejee wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 04:10 It was plausible. William is both mentally and physically strong. His experience back then in their hikes could probably be the reason why he was able to survive in the end. However, my nerdy side believes that hypothermia is rapid and that his time out there could have probably killed him. But we never knew how he managed to survive, so there must be something that he did.
I think I can also attribute his survival to his mental and physical strength. It is always said that defeat starts in the mind. For William, he had grown in Haida Gwaii and I guess this somehow had enabled to develop some adaptations to this environment.
I can't say much about his physical strength as his age was slowly catching up with him. Though, I must say that his mental strength was commendable. Also, his roots did play a role in his survival, I guess
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 22:59
Kajori50 wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 15:17 Charlie Sheldon's Adrift is an adventurous naval tale. In this book William played a key role. He put his life at risk to save the crew. When everyone was found, he was still lost. It was after quite some time when Myra and her compatriots found him in the frozen wilds of Haida Gwaii. She even thought that he was dead. However, that was not the case. He was very much alive. Though this made the ending happy, it was nothing short of a miracle.

I would love to know whether you all think his survival was practically plausible, or it was just one of those things that can only happen in fiction?
It was very plausible considering his hardened life.
He did have a hardened life, but for a person of his age it does some like a rare possibility. Though, I am glad that he survived.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I believe the author included the discussion on spirituality for a reason. Sarah, Myra, and Tom also went to the prayer caves with a reason. I guess this might have contributed greatly to how things turned out eventually.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Kajori50 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 14:35
I can't say much about his physical strength as his age was slowly catching up with him. Though, I must say that his mental strength was commendable. Also, his roots did play a role in his survival, I guess
I am thinking that his physical strength played a role whereby he was able to walk in an attempt to find help. I guess both Anne and William would have gone far if William had not sprained his knee. Also, surviving in the cold with little food for a long time is not a little thing even for one who is physically strong.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Still going with maybe.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Kibetious wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 06:58
Kajori50 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 14:35

I am thinking that his physical strength played a role whereby he was able to walk in an attempt to find help. I guess both Anne and William would have gone far if William had not sprained his knee. Also, surviving in the cold with little food for a long time is not a little thing even for one who is physically strong.
Also, surviving in the cold with little food for a long time is not a little thing even for one who is physically strong.
I am not even sure if I could survive in a situation like that.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1886
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I find the ending of William being alive in the story plausible. The author of the book has tried to point out towards an optimistic fact of life. This is the main purpose and drive to write a story!
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I do think that William's survival was plausible. Although it might seem one of those things that can only happen in fiction, real life is full of situations one would never have thought possible. We see miracles happen all the time!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

mmm17 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:13 I do think that William's survival was plausible. Although it might seem one of those things that can only happen in fiction, real life is full of situations one would never have thought possible. We see miracles happen all the time!
Hardier life, hardier disposition. It definitely could have happened.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Disneyland wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 18:53 I find the ending of William being alive in the story plausible. The author of the book has tried to point out towards an optimistic fact of life. This is the main purpose and drive to write a story!
Well yes, but I think a book should also depict the practical parts of life. William's survival made me happy, but I would like to consider it a miracle as in real life something like that happens rarely.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

mmm17 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:13 I do think that William's survival was plausible. Although it might seem one of those things that can only happen in fiction, real life is full of situations one would never have thought possible. We see miracles happen all the time!
Absolutely, and this particular miracle made me exceedingly happy. Being a sucker for happy endings, I do not particularly like death.
Kajori Sheryl Paul

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 09:13 Still going with maybe.
Well, as of now I consider it to be a miracle.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”