Re: Was the ending plausible?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Re: Was the ending plausible?

Post by briellejee »

CatInTheHat wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 09:58 I think it's plausible but highly unlikely for someone his age.
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: now that you mentioned it, i think for someone his age, it was highly unlikely to survive the ordeal.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Kister94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Kister94 »

As per me the ending of the book was applause because it reveals the power of solidarity and faith.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Charlyt wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 00:21 I think that it could be plausible. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at a certain cold temperature the heart slows down enough that it seems like it's barely beating at all. Kind of like the person is hibernating. But I'm sure there are other factors involved like how cold the temperature should be or how fast the cold takes over your body. But I think there's a certain amount of possibility there.
I think there is that procedure where they "iced" you, kinda like preserving your body but you're still alive. However, out in the open, frostbite happens and extreme cold could really lead to death. But yes, I agree that there's a little possibility that he survived despite the odds.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

I think it is definitely possible. We hear all the time how someone lived that shouldn’t have. How someone miraculously pulled through when all medical reasoning says they shouldn’t. Also, as others have mentioned above, spirituality and faith play a large role as well. It was believable enough that I didn’t immediately dismiss it when I read it.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Very much so! Charlie did not bombard us with unnecessary details; such as the law suit and Buckhorn's mining endeavors. I have to admit there has to be some suspense there. Might there be a third to the Strong Heart series?
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

It was highly plausible given the tragic events in the story,a happy ending served well. The faith of Sarah and Myra couldn't go to waste either.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

The ending was plausible to me, especially given that I expected to see William back in the main land. Then suddenly 'the end'
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I was confused and heartbroken over William's death because I've really grown to care about him throughout the story, but Sarah discovers him alive I was over the moon. I had to re-read the passage a couple of times, it just seemed off since a few chapters back they counted him as dead but I guess this just adds to the drama.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

I actually loved this ending. There's still just enough mystery to carry us into the third book of the series for some more in-depth explanation of his survival (or maybe not, after all?). I think it ties in perfectly with his tribal connections, his experience and his skills, as well as with the absolute faith that Sarah had in finding him still alive, and with Myra's determination to find him, no matter what the outcome. This all made it slightly mystical, even if it might not be probable or possible.
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Great topic. I think it is plausible considering William's mental agility and the real life cases of survival in spite of extreme conditions. But he did have injuries, and for a person his age surviving in such extreme conditions does seem like a miracle. Nevertheless, I liked the ending. I think it was representative of the strength in a person's hope and willingness to not back down.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

The ending seemed pretty unbelievable to me. Anne was almost dead, and she was found days before him. But, I really don't know much about medical things, so who knows how plausible it truly is?

That being said, I was very glad William was alive. He was a character that kept other people who were stranded going, and he was so brave to go try to get help. Also, he had so many people at home who cared about him and wanted him to return. Sarah's optimism, in particular, kept me hopeful.
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

I think in reality it isn't plausible. Hypothermia kills quickly most times despite the age or overall fitness of a person. This ending only possible in the fictional world.
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Shirayuki Hime
Favorite Book: Tiger's Curse
Currently Reading: Endless Water, Starless Sky
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Shirayuki Hime »

Same, I consider the ending plausible, with a great determination we can accomplish our journey.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I’m not sure if this is plausible. I agree with previous comments that some can survive in extreme cold, but for several days, injures, and starving? I don’t know. Plus, the temperature is ten degrees colder next to water. William was near a stream, so it would have been even colder. I’m glad he did survive in the story, but I’m not sure if it would have been possible in real life.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

briellejee wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 04:10 It was plausible. William is both mentally and physically strong. His experience back then in their hikes could probably be the reason why he was able to survive in the end. However, my nerdy side believes that hypothermia is rapid and that his time out there could have probably killed him. But we never knew how he managed to survive, so there must be something that he did.
I have always been taught that the longer people stay in place for long, it is more they adapt. It is something that happens in nature which could explain why William survived since he had been born here. This assertion, therefore, is true and valid.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”