Buckhorn as the antagonist?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Buckhorn as the antagonist?

Post by Michgal 32 »

I kept wondering what kind of people work there. I mean, among all the employees, there was no one with a different opinion on even going to Larry's wake? Did they really have to bring up their intentions on the claim at the wake?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Michgal 32 wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 08:04 I kept wondering what kind of people work there. I mean, among all the employees, there was no one with a different opinion on even going to Larry's wake? Did they really have to bring up their intentions on the claim at the wake?
I got a taste of the people who work their from Pete and his ex-wife and her new husband, who is Buckhorn's lawyer. They tried to bully him to get him to let go of his son-to not see him when they move to LA.
Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I think the most inhumane was their arrival at Larry's wake to inform Louise that they will fight her claim. Other acts like harassing the Warhorse crew and putting the blame on Captain Steve were what I expected seeing they are a greedy corporation only interested in their profits.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ekta Kumari wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 11:12 I think the most inhumane was their arrival at Larry's wake to inform Louise that they will fight her claim. Other acts like harassing the Warhorse crew and putting the blame on Captain Steve were what I expected seeing they are a greedy corporation only interested in their profits.
Yeah, I agree. The other ones were cheap expected tricks, but that last one ohh. It was like stealing candy from a baby the sharpening it to resemble a knife which they probably used to stab a baby seal. :techie-studyinggray:
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

The actions by the Buckhorn were very devastating to the crew towing the ship that was on fire. I cannot just point at one worst action by the Buckhorn, but I will say they were just saboteurs of other people ready to achieve their goals.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Bukari wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 14:02 The actions by the Buckhorn were very devastating to the crew towing the ship that was on fire. I cannot just point at one worst action by the Buckhorn, but I will say they were just saboteurs of other people ready to achieve their goals.
Society of evil indeed.
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by maritzaalston »

The Express belonged to Buckhorn so from a business perspective I understood why they needed to recover the Express. The generous payout for the tug by itself was going to be an exorbitant amount. They were attempting to minimize their expenses as much as possible.

However, I have to agree that the tactics that they recoursed to were questionable and even unnecessary.
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Larry's wake, most definitely! I really loved Larry's character and was gutted by his death. What Buckhorn did was so egregious, it teeters on being pure evil!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am still considering how Buckhorn was portrayed in Strong Heart and their portrayal in this book. I think in the first book, the company was somehow still hidden. At this point, they are ready to use all forms of enticements to advance their work of mining.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

For me, the most antagonistic act that the Buckhorn company had done is to disregard morals to do what they need to do to satiate their greed.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The company seems to be the proverbial wolf in sheep's clothing. The sweet things they are promising to the Elwha Tribe are all meant to lure the clan into them accepting the mining proposal of the company. No enemy bites harder than one who appears to be applying balm to one's wounds. In the end, their impact is more painful.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Popcorn1 wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 07:40 For me, the most antagonistic act that the Buckhorn company had done is to disregard morals to do what they need to do to satiate their greed.
This is very true. Ethically, any person should act from a point of knowing what they are jumping into. Informed consent demands of one to give information to the party to be affected and then allow the party to made decision without any form of coercion.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kibetious wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 05:07
Popcorn1 wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 07:40 For me, the most antagonistic act that the Buckhorn company had done is to disregard morals to do what they need to do to satiate their greed.
This is very true. Ethically, any person should act from a point of knowing what they are jumping into. Informed consent demands of one to give information to the party to be affected and then allow the party to made decision without any form of coercion.
:tiphat:
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

In my opioinion everything sct thst was mentioned about Buckhorn to me seemed to be no good. It seemed that their whole company was low down.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The company seems to be really bent on to have their way. After the Seattle Express docks, the company goes against the norm and begins unloading materials when the ship was supposed to be quarantined till investigations were completed.
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”