Sea voyage terminology

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Sea voyage terminology

Post by Michgal 32 »

Kibetious wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 06:14 For me, most of the words used to describe the sea vessels were fairly new. The word that was repeated mostly and almost became annoying was 'aft'. I must confess that there was a constant urge to refer to the dictionary.
That word was annoying in deed.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

I'm aware of certain nautical terms and sailing phrases, because of the books and stories I've read. I thought that the use of sea voyage terminology gave the novel a certain level of realism, so I didn't mind looking up a few words in the dictionary.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

The jargoons used by the sailor were a bit difficult for me to comprehend because I wanted to get their definitions to better appreciate the author's work. In fact, I learned some of the terminologies from the narrative.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I didn't understand many technical words characteristic of sea voyages. I must say that I had to refer to dictionary very often while reading the part about Warhorse attaching the lines to Seattle Express. Words like mooring, winch, bitts were new for me. I didn't feel irritated or amused, though.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

Personally I like it when I can get completely immersed in a world but I hate it when I have to refer to a dictionary. Nothing irritates me more than having to pull away from the story to look up a word. Some of the terms were fairly new but I had to highlight others to come back to.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I personally like the term fo'c'sle. Even ship parts have nicknames, and this one's a challenge to spell. LOL!
Unielain
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unielain.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Unielain »

Azrevread wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 13:58 I'm aware of certain nautical terms and sailing phrases, because of the books and stories I've read. I thought that the use of sea voyage terminology gave the novel a certain level of realism, so I didn't mind looking up a few words in the dictionary.
Even though English isn't my first language, I didn't mind the use of sea voyage terminology either. The language used made reading the book an experience, one could have listening to a story told by a seasoned sailor. Of course, I had to look up many of the terms used, but that's part of the appeal of reading: storytelling is a great method of teaching. Of course, checking the words can break the flow of reading at times, but as a reader who writes down a lot while reading and does some searches while reading, I don't mind it at all. I think the novel would have been less enjoyable to read without the language familiar to the characters.
Raja28
Currently Reading: R.I.P
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raja28.html
Latest Review: The Excoms by Brett Battles

Post by Raja28 »

Technical terms are what lend the story authenticity and I look forward to learning those. From my earlier experience of reading books related to seafaring, the nautical terminology was not much unfamiliar.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

After looking up a few words, I learned to just assume meaning from the way the words were used, in order to move on with the story. I was amused by the word 'sea' for 'wave.' I am sure my friends will try to correct me next time we are on the beach, because, I am so going to use it!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I already knew quite a few of the terms from former reading but there were also a few I didn't know. I didn't bother to look at the dictionary though, I just kind of skimmed over them and hoped the meaning would come through in the narrative. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

I am totally unfamiliar with sea voyage terminologies. As such, I wonder if I would find this book interesting.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

One of the reasons I love to read is that little snippets of knowledge come from the most unlikely sources. This book is no exception and I love the fact that I can come away from reading it with a little more knowledge than when I started. I find this rather satisfying as opposed to irritated or confused.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I hard a tough time with some of the terminology as well. I had to look up some of the words in the dictionary, but I did think some could be figured out through the context. The terminology definitely contributed to the authenticity of the book.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I didn't know what most of the sea voyage terminology meant, but I found that didn't take away from the story too much. It was the only part of the book that bored me, but I understand why the author would have included it all. So while I found parts tedious to read, for example, the part where they were attaching Warhorse to the Seattle Express, I didn't feel I needed to look up what words meant to understand what was going on.
YL_Eytka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yl-eytka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by YL_Eytka »

Being completely ignorant about boats and all the terminologies that come with it, there was definitely times where I had no idea what a character was saying, but I sometimes due to the author's writing I didn't need to know what something was to insinuate the effect it would have on the story

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”