Was Larry's accident a "lie"?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Was Larry's accident a "lie"?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I argue that he could have attempted to dive out the way, but just stood there. With all his experience diving to safety is second instict, that he didn't is telling. And why would he do this if he did not somehow know about the insurance policy and realize his death would be a better life for Louise? I say, he found the policy, realized its value and returned it into the rest of the documents. He had to die while tugging and it had to seem convincing. He could not predict the accident on the Express, the bad weather while tugging or that the cable might snap, but that last one- a cable snapping during tur ulent weather, he definitely could have forseen that. Standing still and expecting an instant death was his idea, but fate intervened to give him a relatively slow one through amputation.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 09:55 I argue that he could have attempted to dive out the way, but just stood there. With all his experience diving to safety is second instict, that he didn't is telling. And why would he do this if he did not somehow know about the insurance policy and realize his death would be a better life for Louise? I say, he found the policy, realized its value and returned it into the rest of the documents. He had to die while tugging and it had to seem convincing. He could not predict the accident on the Express, the bad weather while tugging or that the cable might snap, but that last one- a cable snapping during tur ulent weather, he definitely could have forseen that. Standing still and expecting an instant death was his idea, but fate intervened to give him a relatively slow one through amputation.
:tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

amandathebibliophile wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 08:46 I think it was an accident. He was too cocky to allow himself to make such a grievous mustache. I also could go either way on whether he knew about the insurance. He seemed smart enough to know, but it’s still hard to say!
:eusa-think:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 09:55 I argue that he could have attempted to dive out the way, but just stood there. With all his experience diving to safety is second instict, that he didn't is telling. And why would he do this if he did not somehow know about the insurance policy and realize his death would be a better life for Louise? I say, he found the policy, realized its value and returned it into the rest of the documents. He had to die while tugging and it had to seem convincing. He could not predict the accident on the Express, the bad weather while tugging or that the cable might snap, but that last one- a cable snapping during tur ulent weather, he definitely could have forseen that. Standing still and expecting an instant death was his idea, but fate intervened to give him a relatively slow one through amputation.
At times, an accident may happen and the reaction time is very minimal. A snap of a cable is not something that you can easily jump out of its way I guess. Just like many accidents that occur, someone could be wishing that they had moved away. It also depends on the time-lapse.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kibetious wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 05:42
At times, an accident may happen and the reaction time is very minimal. A snap of a cable is not something that you can easily jump out of its way I guess. Just like many accidents that occur, someone could be wishing that they had moved away. It also depends on the time-lapse.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

vishu wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 12:39 It seems like an accident, however unfortunate it may seem. Still, Larry is a kind of character that keeps the reader questioning till the end.
...and a few months after reading he book and I'm still uncertain.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

This topic has changed my mind more times than I can count in the course of this month. I value each one of your opinions and had revelled in starting a REBELLION when I learned the author classified Larry's situation as an honest accident. It was fun...it remains so. I believe the open interpretation to characters and scenes serves only to broaden the readers imagination and creativity. It also makes the book memorable.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 12:04 This topic has changed my mind more times than I can count in the course of this month. I value each one of your opinions and had revelled in starting a REBELLION when I learned the author classified Larry's situation as an honest accident. It was fun...it remains so. I believe the open interpretation to characters and scenes serves only to broaden the readers imagination and creativity. It also makes the book memorable.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

I would like to add that the author says it was an honest to God accident, but I am of the opinion that the character's personality was still unformed and ever-changing to make readers doubt.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

I think it was an accident. There were a lot of variables that could have gone wrong if planned. I do agree on the life insurance making it suspicious! It seems anytime someone dies from an unfortunate accident and there is a life insurance policy that people wonder. Great question!
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
Brandy C

Post by Brandy C »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 04:23
LV2R wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 23:10 It was a terrible accident and a bad way to die. I just thought Louise would have felt way sorrier about his condition and even want to be with him and talk to him before he lost consciousness.
I agree with you. Louise was still hung up on her belief that Larry was cheating on her, even on his deathbed she kept this in the back of her mind.
Women typically hold on to these types of things. She firmly believed he was cheating. Even when he was on death's door her belief didn't seem to waver. Her feelings and actions verified what she was thinking.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Brandy C wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 19:46
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 04:23
LV2R wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 23:10 It was a terrible accident and a bad way to die. I just thought Louise would have felt way sorrier about his condition and even want to be with him and talk to him before he lost consciousness.
I agree with you. Louise was still hung up on her belief that Larry was cheating on her, even on his deathbed she kept this in the back of her mind.
Women typically hold on to these types of things. She firmly believed he was cheating. Even when he was on death's door her belief didn't seem to waver. Her feelings and actions verified what she was thinking.
Brandy C

Post by Brandy C »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 19:19 I would like to add that the author says it was an honest to God accident, but I am of the opinion that the character's personality was still unformed and ever-changing to make readers doubt.
He did say it was an accident but I can understand your opinion. There is doubt present with the life insurance and due to the character's personality as you mentioned. It very well could have been planned but I feel like it was an accident. Great discussion question!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Brandy C wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 19:49
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 19:19 I would like to add that the author says it was an honest to God accident, but I am of the opinion that the character's personality was still unformed and ever-changing to make readers doubt.
He did say it was an accident but I can understand your opinion. There is doubt present with the life insurance and due to the character's personality as you mentioned. It very well could have been planned but I feel like it was an accident. Great discussion question!
It still is "a discussion" :tiphat:
Brandy C

Post by Brandy C »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 19:51
Brandy C wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 19:49
It still is "a discussion" :tiphat:
Yes! We could probably debate and discuss for years due to contributing factors.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”