Overall rating and opinion of "drift" by Charlie Sheldon

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "drift" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gracedscribe »

I wasn't able to read the book, but I'm adding it to my 'Want to read' list!! A thrilling sea adventure may be just the thing I need right now! :techie-reference:
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

I loved the fact that the characters went beyond their inadequacies and showed tremendous strength and team spirit to conquer their challenges. It's a 4 out of 4 for me.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

When I read about the the fire aboard the Seattle Express, and relatively early on in the book too, I feared that this would be the highlight of the story. However, Captain Steve Procida and his crew abandon the ship, split into two groups on two life boats and lose themselves across the vast ocean shortly after – this was where the story really kicked it up a couple of notches for me.

When you have nothing but each other and a vast ocean around you, survival can be very dicey. You have to find a way to will yourselves to fight. The ocean can be the very best or very worst of nature; it does not take sides or play favorites and I like that Charlie Sheldon keeps it that way.

This story is a strong expression of the themes of survival, community (in a sense of team work), and faith. I can't imagine giving Adrift anything less than a 4 out of 4.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

Renu G wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 05:30 I found the book inspiring and captivating. The courage and team spirit displayed by the sailors is what I liked the most. What I disliked most is how Larry and Louise compete with the owner’s tugs and manage to steal the ship. I have rated it 3 out of 4 stars.
Yes I too did not like that incident. Still it was a good read and the behavior of the people on board was relatable. I would not recommend this book to anyone I know simply because the whole idea of being adrift at sea is tiresome. I'm sorry if I seem contradictory but it is how it is. Also, my people do not like this type of story.
A big shout out to my sensei!
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimi-adewole.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jimi Adewole »

I'm all about the ocean. So this book was bound to make my list any day. Other readers whose recommendations I've come to trust also suggest it's good reading. There's a bit of a flutter in my heart though as I think about starting because...we, who wouldn't be frightened of being adrift at sea?
Experience is a harsh tutor for she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. - Vernon Law

You might as well read about it in a book.
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

I honestly don't know how to feel about the book.
It started strong and fast. Everything was going to hell and there was no time to think but do, do, do. I loved the rush I felt during the first half of the book until Larry's death. After that, it sorta got slow and nothing happened until the last couple of chapters.
And to be honest, by the end of it I felt like the book was like this; "It's bad! It's very bad! We're all gonna die! OMG! but then Hallelujah and Merry Christmas everyone! Here're your miracles."
I think I'm gonna give it a half rating: 2 stars. I loved the first half, not much the second half.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

I loved it. Definitely 4 out of 4. I especially liked the part with William and Anne's sacrifice, although sad. it really says a lot about humanity.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

Jachike 1 wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 13:42 When I read about the the fire aboard the Seattle Express, and relatively early on in the book too, I feared that this would be the highlight of the story. However, Captain Steve Procida and his crew abandon the ship, split into two groups on two life boats and lose themselves across the vast ocean shortly after – this was where the story really kicked it up a couple of notches for me.

When you have nothing but each other and a vast ocean around you, survival can be very dicey. You have to find a way to will yourselves to fight. The ocean can be the very best or very worst of nature; it does not take sides or play favorites and I like that Charlie Sheldon keeps it that way.

This story is a strong expression of the themes of survival, community (in a sense of team work), and faith. I can't imagine giving Adrift anything less than a 4 out of 4.
I agree with you, having a team in place that believes in each other and toil to survive is not an easy thing. when the spirit goes down you have each other to kick start all over again.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Wanja Hannah wrote: 16 Jul 2019, 05:44
Jachike 1 wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 13:42 When I read about the the fire aboard the Seattle Express, and relatively early on in the book too, I feared that this would be the highlight of the story. However, Captain Steve Procida and his crew abandon the ship, split into two groups on two life boats and lose themselves across the vast ocean shortly after – this was where the story really kicked it up a couple of notches for me.

I agree with you, having a team in place that believes in each other and toil to survive is not an easy thing. when the spirit goes down you have each other to kick start all over again.
I couldn't agree more Wanja!
Thundershake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thundershake.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Thundershake »

I loved the story, loved the characters.
I give Adrift 4out of 4 stars.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I rated this novel 4 out of 4 stars. I really liked this book because even though there was a lot going on with all of the separate plot lines, I think the author did a great job of covering every character well. The author's storytelling abilities are excellent, and I loved how it was written.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D
Emmerdale
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmerdale.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Emmerdale »

Loved reading the book as it talked about life challenges from friends to family, tribes and business classes all through the adversity and forces of snow,fire,,the ragging water lossesits a great book full of adventure with lots of twists and turns .I would recommend the book to other people and rate it 4 out of 4,it was really worth the read
fmd1821
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmd1821.html
Latest Review: Mastering Real Estate with Private Money by Tom Braegelmann

Post by fmd1821 »

I really liked reading this story. It is adventurous and very well written, so I hope I will have the time to read it again soon! I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.
oluchiokere84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchiokere84.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by oluchiokere84 »

Thank you all for the positive reviews, they inspire me to choose the book for my next review.
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

I love stories about sea adventures and being lost at sea. I can't contribute much to the discussion because I haven't yet read the book. However, from the comments, it sounds like an action packed read filled with suspense. Definitely on my reading list.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”