Overall rating and opinion of "drift" by Charlie Sheldon

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "drift" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the April 2019 Book of the Month, Adrift by Charlie Sheldon.

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I loved reading this book because it showed what occured while William and the other crew were adrift at sea. I enjoyed following Larry and the claim on the Express. I also enjoyed Myra's faith on whether her father would be found alive. I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I found the book inspiring and captivating. The courage and team spirit displayed by the sailors is what I liked the most. What I disliked most is how Larry and Louise compete with the owner’s tugs and manage to steal the ship. I have rated it 3 out of 4 stars.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I liked the book right from the first page. At the start I never knew what the story would be all about or how the other characters from 'Strong Heart' would be coming. It reached a point where it was easy to follow it through and I kept turning page after page. I had to rate this 4 out of 4 stars.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I rated it 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed seeing what came next after having read Strong Heart. The author's storytelling abilities are excellent. Myra and Sarah's spirituality comes through even stronger in "Adrift."
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

I love the sea, the ocean and I love reading about adventures. Only a glimpse at the cover was enough for me to put this book in my bucket list.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

The adventure in the wilderness is breathtaking. I also liked how the author balanced the narration for the characters at sea and those in dry land. The themes are incredible as well. Though the cursing words featured in the narrative didn't appeal to me and the misconception about the Holy Spirit. I'm yet to post my review, but I rate the book a 4 out of 4 stars. The author is a good storyteller and he uses simple, clear, and easy to understand language.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I rated the book 4 out 4 stars. I think the way the author told the story was captivating and I even forgot that is was the 2nd book of a series. I felt symptathy for the characters, and I like that a single incident had a big impact on a number of people and I thought the author was able to tell their story really well.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Ava973
Favorite Book: Before I let you go
Currently Reading: How to Stay Alive in the Woods
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Ava973 »

I really did enjoy this book. It had a different approach to the thriller genre than i'm used to. It had a close attention to detail that kept me engaged throughout. I would definitely recommend this to people who enjoy a good story with lots of twists and turns.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

I rated it 3 out of 4. I wasn't enchanted, but the story was compelling enough. I thought the ending was a little bit far-fetched, but it made a nice, clean ending for a fictional story. It would have been nice to have more side stories and arcs to the plot; aside from Sarah's past and Jimmie's health situation, there wasn't much in the story that wasn't directly to do with the claim mission on the ship.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Ana Megrelishvili wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 10:17 I love the sea, the ocean and I love reading about adventures. Only a glimpse at the cover was enough for me to put this book in my bucket list.
My same reasons for adding this book to my TBR list. Seems like it has an impeccable editing as well, which adds to the smoothness and enjoyment of reading.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Charlyt wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 00:08 I rated the book 4 out 4 stars. I think the way the author told the story was captivating and I even forgot that is was the 2nd book of a series. I felt symptathy for the characters, and I like that a single incident had a big impact on a number of people and I thought the author was able to tell their story really well.
The impact was far-reaching indeed. I was delighted by how friends and family could pull together during such times just to offer comfort to those who had been affected. The characters were well-developed too.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

The book was a simple read to me. It was inspiring at times, like when the crew was out in the sea, but it was nothing extra ordinary to me. Though, the author's writing style is very polished. The characters, while well written, weren't relatable for me. The editing certainly uplifted the book. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

I downloaded this book and read sample pages when it was the book of the day. I did not expect to enjoy this book as much as I did! After the first few pages, I knew I would finish this book. The story is very compelling and simply written. The aspect I enjoyed the most was the unfathomable human spirit. When faced with insurmountable odds the human spirit always shines through. The only aspect that gave me pause was some of the vocabularies used for sailing. My overall opinion is a 4 out of 4 stars . The story was action-filled, relatable and suspenseful. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a great read.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I really liked this book. There was a lot going on but I think the author did a great job with the overall flow. I also really liked how the story was told through multiple point of views. It kept the book fresh and exciting. I would definitely recommend this book to others.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”