Overall rating and opinion of "drift" by Charlie Sheldon

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "drift" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This book seems to teach a lot of lessons that are practical in life. The theme of survival is promiment throughout the book. We may never know but moments come when we need to learn how to go around some obstacles in life to survive. This book thus is important for everyone.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I gave it a 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the story it was smooth, exciting and full of depth. What i didn't like is the too many characters involved creating confusion. Definitely i would recommend it.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

Overall, I enjoyed Adrift very much. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. What I most liked about the book was its motivational spirit - the idea of overcoming difficult situations. Also, I very much appreciate ocean themed narratives. Myra and Sarah are wonderful characters and well-developed ones. On the other hand, I can't say I agree with some religious points of view that were conveyed.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

I gave the book full ratings. I thought it was well-written and found a few errors while reading it. The author described each mechanism used on the ships in immaculate detail. I felt like I was looking inside a manual and seeing each individual part of the ships. It was difficult for me to keep up with the details as I don't know that much about boats. I had to do some outside research. However, I was still impressed with the level of writing in this book.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A simple and easy book to read. A well-deserved rating of 4! It's fresh and exciting
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

I’m definitely adding this to my TBR list on bookshelves. It sounds compelling based on the comments that I am reading. I love adventure stories, so apparently I am going to have to read the first book in this series and then this one. Thanks for the new read!
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare-As You Like It Act II, Scene VII
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I found the book captivating. Several characters are tied up. There is no specific main character or protagonist that's why I love it the more. I will recommend to others
ScottWize1
Favorite Author: Jack Cavanaugh
Currently Reading: The Invisible Realm
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scottwize1.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 82073

Post by ScottWize1 »

I enjoyed Adrift immensely and look forward to book 3. The parallel story lines were engaging and I gave it a strong 4 of 4 stars. Also gave a nod to the editor, as I didn't notice a problem at all. Really excellent editing work. I didn't add in my review, but thoroughly enjoyed the Sweat Lodge and the inclusion of some Native American spirituality.
bauer_ve
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bauer-ve.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by bauer_ve »

I did not expect to enjoy this book as much as I did! After reading the sample when it was botd, I downloaded it & couldn’t put it down. I liked the author’s writing style and how she was able to tie so many characters together. She was able to develop each of them very well & not let them just all blend together. It was pretty inspirational with the crew out at sea. I couldn’t even imagine going through that but she really brought it to life page after page. There were some minor grammatical errors but nothing to detract from the story. Definitely worthy of 4 out of 4 stars
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

This book has an enchanting nature to it. The very nature of the ocean and the vast, deep blue is enough to stir up curiosity in any man. Then there is our undeniable desire to help someone when we sense they are in danger. This book marries the two beautifully. I have not finished reading the book as yet, but will hopefully get a chance to see how this all ends shortly.
IloveSpain01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovespain01.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by IloveSpain01 »

I absolutely loved this book, and rate it a 4 out of 4. From the very first moment, I was captivated by what was happening. It was extremely hard for me to put it down. I was consistently drawn into the story. Consistently, I felt I was on the edge of my seat as I waited with anticipation if the other lifeboat made it. Then, with great anticipation, I was eager to find out if William made it. I love the hoodwink at the end where William appears dead, but both Sarah and Sergei find a pulse. Surprise! He's alive! Fantastic ending. I truly loved the entire journey of this book.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP

Something I found interesting about this book was that even though I don’t know much about the lingo used on ships and what all the gadgets and things are called, I felt that the author either researched the terms immensely well or was experienced in the actual workings of a ship at sea. It makes for a realistic experience while reading as they talk and move through the story.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP

My overall opinion of this book so far is there is no lack of information, suspense, drama and general intriguing characters. For me, the idea of going on cruise and then having that ship sink at sea is something made out of nightmares. It takes a mentally strong individual to come out of something like that unscathed...
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I love reading this book. The characters are all pleasant to read, at times they are an inspiration. However, I do not like that the author uses terminologies that are hard to follow for someone who have limited knowledge on ships.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

I thought that the book Adrift deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I liked the way that the characters in the book worked together in spite of their differences. The characters were also less than perfect persons. I would recommend the book to other people, as long as the reader is eligible to read young adult books and older.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”