Overall rating and opinion of "drift" by Charlie Sheldon

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "drift" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by jahagen »

I really enjoyed the premise of this book; it definitely had some intense moments. I wasn't overly fond of the multiple point of views at first, and I think a couple might have been a bit unnecessary, but overall I think they tied together well. I've been struggling with what rating to give this book, but overall I'm giving it a 3 out of 4 stars.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I finished reading Adrift last night. I truly enjoyed reading it. I would give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It was like reading five different books, but about the same event. It piqued my curiosity about the other books by the author. :D :D :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

I rated this book 2 out of 4 stars in my review. I felt the book was really stretched and was made long and it didn't really appeal to me. I would recommend it to those who read Strongheart and really liked it
Krishnapriya Sev
Currently Reading: Twisted thread
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishnapriya-sev.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Krishnapriya Sev »

I rated it 3 out of 4 stars. The best part - scenes are intense with excellent visual descriptions and suspense is kept at a high level. But it was a bit slow- paced in the start, it gained liveliness in later stages. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone who loves adventure.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I liked the book. It was fun, educative and inspiring. It showed the courage of the sailors and taught me a lot about the sea. I think it was nice.
MA
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

The first time I tried to read the book, somehow I couldn't get into it. But when I decide to give it another chance, I think it is actually a fun and thrilling adventure (though I still keep my opinion that I will never join a sea crusade). The multiple perspectives are a little jarring, though. I give it 3 out of 4 stars.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I was surprised how much I enjoyed the book given it's not my usual reading. I was very taken in with the people and how they all came together rather than the boat adventures themselves.
Claudiafhlux18
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: The Ordinary Doll
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudiafhlux18.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Claudiafhlux18 »

This book is a story many years ago. The enormous sea and the adventure story is magical and antique...but every fashionable.
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

I just finished reading the book and I liked it because it is relatable especially the uncommon story of Louise and Larry. I adored the woman though the 'always smells the money' part is kinda funny.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

VernaVi wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 02:54 I rated Adrift 4 out of 4 stars because it is so very well told. I live in Interior Alaska and having been raised here, I have experienced working on riverboats seasonally year after year. It is an amazing way of life and only someone who has lived it can tell the story as well as Charlie Sheldon has in this book. I recognize the reality in each of his characters because I've known people like them. I appreciated the way he built the story around all the different people included in the book. It's a great read!
I really enjoyed this book and it now adds even greater value to have you confirm that he got everything so right! It's often difficult to capture the essence of a place, its people, its unique qualities. Great to have your input. :tiphat:
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

Kishor Rao wrote: 07 May 2019, 13:18 I rated this book 2 out of 4 stars in my review. I felt the book was really stretched and was made long and it didn't really appeal to me. I would recommend it to those who read Strongheart and really liked it
I haven't yet read Strong Heart, but enjoyed Adrift. So are you saying that you enjoyed the first but lost interest in the second?
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

janinewesterweel wrote: 11 May 2019, 04:53
VernaVi wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 02:54 I rated Adrift 4 out of 4 stars because it is so very well told. I live in Interior Alaska and having been raised here, I have experienced working on riverboats seasonally year after year. It is an amazing way of life and only someone who has lived it can tell the story as well as Charlie Sheldon has in this book. I recognize the reality in each of his characters because I've known people like them. I appreciated the way he built the story around all the different people included in the book. It's a great read!
I really enjoyed this book and it now adds even greater value to have you confirm that he got everything so right! It's often difficult to capture the essence of a place, its people, its unique qualities. Great to have your input. :tiphat:
That's absolutely true, thanks for your comment! :)
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

Kibetious wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 05:16
This is great to hear first-hand information from a person who lives in the setting of the story. It is good that the author wrote drawing from his experiences. The book was perfectly written.
I agree, it is a very well-written book.Thanks for your comment!
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

The book was undoubtedly a different kind of thriller. It grabs you from the first page, a real page-turner. Books about the sea are usually quite uniquely fascinating, and this did not disappoint.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

This sounds like an intense and exciting book. I have had some bad experiences with nautical novels, but Adrift sounds worth the read. Dynamic characters and great adventure make for a thrilling plot. It sounds like the book may be a little too intense at some points, but this makes for a real page-turner. I will give this a read!
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”