ARA Review by kia125 of Final Notice

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kia125
Favorite Book: The Big Sleep
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

ARA Review by kia125 of Final Notice

Post by kia125 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Final Notice.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The important issue of gun control is a global problem. However, in the USA this subject has created divisions that are so extreme, that we Europeans watch from afar and cannot quite understand, why nothing seems to be done.

Indeed, in the UK gun control laws were strengthened after a shocking school massacre in Dunblane. Few of us ever questioned that particular approach. Guns were not part of our modern-day culture and the majority of our people recognised that fact, and acted accordingly.

I thought the Author of ‘Final Notice’ did well. He presented us with a society that was dominated by guns. This book gives the reader a satirical look, creating a black comedy that paints a nightmare vision of our future. A country that watches and waits as the death toll mounts and the Political leaders remain silent. In this world we see a population pressurized by an extreme organization, whose love for guns blinds them to the destruction and death that pervades the lives of decent Americans. Their answer is always the same, a further re-arming of its citizens. That way we can all get involved in the fight.

As the story unfolds, children are slaughtered, their cold-hearted message is to call for the introduction of more liberal laws on gun ownership.

But this book is also questioning the technical advances in science. When an App/Watch is developed that can forecast one’s death. The advantages of this approach, I am somewhat confused and certainly not convinced. Do the majority of us really want to know when we are going to die? This device works by analysing the bodies chemical changes, and alerts the user, when their mortal shell is about to expire.

That is when we are faced with a dilemma. How will the wearer of this device react when they are told that imminent death may only be 30 days away.

Our main protagonists in this story, Vince and Trudi are ordinary Americans who are confronted by this issue. Their normal world is suddenly turned upside down by an incident that happens close to their home. Would they seek a kind of vigilantly justice for the perpetrators of this crime? Their love for one another is strong, but can they standby idly while their friends are racially abused, some of whom have fled from a murderous dictator’s regime. It seems the countries Senators are inept. But maybe there is one who will stand tall while fear and violence can lurk round every corner.

But for some it is different, when the final message manifests itself there is suddenly a crisis of conscience: a need to get even with people they dislike. After all, if you are about to die, crime with impunity may entice you to use a degree of force against your perceived enemy. You can avoid have your day in court.

Although a fictional dictum, this story is about modern-day America. It made me reflect on the issue of gun culture. On how it affects every aspect of life in America. Even those that strive to do the right thing are drawn into this tangled web of violence. I would have liked more emphasis placed on some of the main characters. I felt hardly knew them. They were after all our heroes.

For that reason, my rating is 4 out of 5 for this book.

View Final Notice on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”