ARA Review by Shashwat walia of The Reel Sisters

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shashwat walia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

ARA Review by Shashwat walia of The Reel Sisters

Post by Shashwat walia »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, The Reel Sisters.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Review by Shashwat Walia-- The Reel Sisters

3 out of 5

The Reel Sisters is a story of friendship built on the foundation of four women’s shared love of fly fishing. Rose is the motherly figure of the group, but just as feisty as the younger women. Sophie is the outdoorsy tomboy who has never found the ability to love again after heartbreak. Veronica is the confident city girl: traveling the country coaching other women how to become better executives in the workplace. Amanda is the young mother of two, holding down the fort with her husband deployed to Afghanistan. Fly fishing has brought them together despite their age differences, and the depth of their friendship will hold them together through life’s various challenges.

The girls gather at Rose’s Colorado cabin to bond over some friendly fishing competition and practical jokes. The last thing they expect to catch is the young photographer floating down the river. Melody is the loner, the risk-taker. When the perfect place for her photo-op presents itself on the big rock in the middle of the rushing river, she takes it. Tumbling into the frigid water was not part of her plan, neither was being rescued by a bunch of strangers. But once she’s been reeled in by this loveable fly-fishing sisterhood, she finds a place to call home.

In Michelle Cumming’s fictional novel, The Reel Sisters, readers will find more than a big fish story. The characters were so well-written that I found something to relate to and admire in each one of them. The beauty of these women is that although they each had strengths, they also had weaknesses that they came to face throughout the book. Whether a hidden event in the past or a strained relationship, each woman had to confront her issue head-on.

I loved that the book was written in the point-of-view of each of the women so you could get to know them personally. It almost felt like I was a part of the group. I was not only interested in seeing the comradery between the characters, but also the sport that they loved. The author even included book discussion questions and fly fishing resources in the final pages.

One of my favorite scenes was of Sophie on one of the fishing trips. She had caught no fish because of her bad attitude all day. After an evening of sulking, Rose offers Sophie some solid advice about not allowing the past to ruin the present. Sophie reluctantly heeds the advice but eventually takes the words to heart. It was amazing to watch her spirits lift as she spent some time alone with her thoughts. She begins to enjoy herself, but instead of catching a fish, she hooks a long-lost acquaintance!

There were so many correlations throughout the story that hit home for me. They often forced me to think about my own life and the issues I need to confront. Toward the end, the book became emotionally intense, with each woman facing her deepest fear. The freedom of release that followed was a victorious triumph for each character. Despite some tragedy, I believe that each reader will find satisfaction through the conclusion of this collection of realistic stories.

Without a doubt, The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings earns a 3 out of 5 from this reader. From its well-edited pages to its fantastically executed character-driven plot, adult women of all ages will find something to inspire them.

The Reel Sisters is a novel I would recommend to female readers, especially those looking for a story about friendship and growth. Profanities exist within the book, but the swearing was used mainly for character distinction.

Shashwat Walia
The Reel Sisters

View The Reel Sisters on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”