ARA Review by regina13 of Apollo's Raven

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
regina13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

ARA Review by regina13 of Apollo's Raven

Post by regina13 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Apollo's Raven.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Apollo’s Raven is a historical fantasy with strong elements of romance, political intrigue, and magic. Many surprising twists enrich the historically-drawn plot. Points of view shift between different characters effectively, heightening the tension from one moment to the next.

[/i]I love the scenes contrasting the cultures of Celtic Britannia and Rome, during which Tanner’s research really shines. My only complaint is that some of the dialogue is marked by modern words and expressions.Well-researched, the book discusses the pagan practices of the ancient Celts and Romans with a deft hand, paying attention to historical facts and Celtic lore and mythology, juxtaposing the polytheistic and naturalistic deities of the Cantiaci (the animal warrior spirits of raven, horse, and wolf, and mother Goddess) against the paternalistic hierarchy of Roman social and religious circles. Within the context of the story, all the liberties taken make sense.

[/i]A perfect description of this story, which blends the best elements of sword and sorcery, Celtic mysticism, romance, and historical truth to create a coherent and masterfully crafted plot, is" Political schemes ... twisting on each other, [and] not as they seem at first glance.Developments of character frequently champion feminism. Through their acts and feelings, the women of the Cantiaci reflect power and unity of purpose. Men in the tale exhibit an almost brutish impetuosity while competent with their displays of physical power, and their "damsel-in-distress" disposition requires timely intervention by women.

[/i]Overall, though, this is an intriguing story with multifaceted characters, including confident and intelligent women protagonists, along with high-stakes situations that will keep you turning the pages.Various plot points ebb and flow, as does language, in a thoughtful way. The event series shifts from chapter to chapter logically, effortlessly, and swiftly. Often sex scenes feel gratuitous.

Short chapters have no opportunities for uncomfortable delays, and in the cascade of churning events that carry the story along to its logical, cliff-hanging end, there are no breaks in energy or abrupt stops. 3 out 5. I will give 3 stars . I didnt give 2 because have a good idea but i didnt give 4 because the end was interesting , it would be more interesting for readers

View Apollo's Raven on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”