ARA Review by Hannah Orion of Misreading Judas

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hannah Orion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

ARA Review by Hannah Orion of Misreading Judas

Post by Hannah Orion »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Misreading Judas.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Misreading Judas Robert Wahler

I am fearful to write a review of “Misreading Judas” for I doubt that I can do justice to the author Robert Wahler for his very well written and extremely well researched title. I chose to read ‘Misreading Judas’ based solely on the title and the by line of Judas’ mystery being missed by modern day scholars. I was in for a surprise as I soon found its contents to be bewildering and very intellectual, as good if not better than the best well-presented university paper that I have read or researched. I hold a Bachelor degree in Nursing and can recall my university training in presenting papers.

In reading ‘Misreading Judas’ I soon found that my curiosity was rewarded with a book that required the reader to pay attention or soon become lost in the many quotations or explanations of mysticism or source material. I read the book twice. During the first reading I skipped many pages looking for a less crowded explanation of the backbone or plot of the book but my eagerness only bought me more confusion. I therefore downloaded a copy of the Gospel of Judas from the internet and read it through. This helped tremendously to follow the story and presentation that Robert Wahler puts forward. This book is not written as one would expect “a farmer from Hawaii” to write and it does require some mind work in order to keep up with the explanations.

The book focuses on the Gospel of Judas and interprets those parts that exist from a mysticism viewpoint. Parts of the text are missing and the author looks to other sources in order to discover a narrative for these missing words. Robert Wahler has a sound understanding of mysticism and gnostic writing. I unfortunately do not. I found it fascinating to read about this aspect of religious studies that I was hitherto unaware of. To see Jesus and Judas in this light was a revelation to me not to mention all the words devoted to James the Just and the relationship of these three from a mystic point of view.

The author is not preoccupied with the four gospels of the New Testament as his sole focus is on the mysticism of Judas and Jesus but he does refer to the New Testament and Acts as source material when he sees a connection of facts to his own theory. His point of view that modern acceptance of the New Testament is misleading according to this author who pines that Gnosticism and Mysticism of both eastern and western derivatives must have been more prominent to ancient seekers of light or enlightenment than is accredited.

Without a doubt this book is worthy of high praise for its challenging concepts and new ideas. Robert Wahler challenges existing literature for its lack of attention to mysticism. He goes into great detail expounding the techniques used by ancient Masters to rise to the higher astral planes in order to see the races that occupy these realms. In it he shows how the Master is replaced by the disciple and that the disciple is replaced by those that he saves through self-sacrifice. I learned a lot from reading this book not the least of which is this view of mysticism that I had never thought existed. My view of the modern New Testament is now fraught with suspicion as I wonder how much of it is misquoted. I rate this book 5 out of 5 because of this enlightenment.

View Misreading Judas on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”