ARA Review by mtnlvr71 of The Lost Identity Casualties

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mtnlvr71
Currently Reading: Nate
Bookshelf Size: 19

ARA Review by mtnlvr71 of The Lost Identity Casualties

Post by mtnlvr71 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, The Lost Identity Casualties.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Lost Identity Casualties: The Callaghan Tetralogy, volume 1 by Kim Ekemar

Imagine waking up in a strange bed and a strange room, with no idea of who you are, where you are, or who these people are. The theme of amnesia has provided fodder for countless novels. But author Kim Ekemar has managed to give the theme a fresh spin.

Matthias Callaghan approaches his dire situation as if he were a detective trying to solve a mystery. Gradually coming out of a coma, he understands he is tied to a hospital bed, with his head and hands wrapped in bandages. Straining to hear and understand, he is able to pick up a few clues from the people who come and go, sometimes speaking in low tones. One voice in particular intrigues him, that of a woman who seems to come every day and stay longer than the rest. The touch of her hand feels warm and kind. As the days go by, he recovers his voice and begins asking questions many of which are deflected or not answered at all.

At this point, as the reader, I was completely hooked into the mystery, imagining all sorts of possibilities. Who were these people who seemed to be keeping him captive? Were they up to some evil? Who is Matthias Callaghan? Was the woman part of the plot? I wonder whether the hospital’s counselor was “in” on the plot, as he dodged the patient’s questions and calmly assured Matthias that memories will gradually return. Author Ekemar does a great job of bringing us into Matthias’ head and building the suspense.

In time we are treated to flashbacks that fill in the blanks as to what happened. It was, indeed, a case of mistaken identity, where some evil Mafia-types used torture to try to extract information. The scene where they torture Matthias is best read in a safe place in broad daylight, lest it give you nightmares.

Other reviewers have given away a big part of the plot, that is the hospital has successfully given Matthias a face-transplant. The reasons for it, how and where it happened and how Mattias’ wife was involved make for great reading.

Also, I will not be giving away anything new when I point out the scene where the bandages are removed, and the “new” face revealed is masterfully written. Matthias’ wife’s reaction is very dramatic and adds a mysterious twist to the plot. The rest of the book revolves around Matthias' amazing efforts at revenge. Again, the twists and turns are clever, fresh and imaginative.

I like a surprise and satisfactory ending and author Ekemar did not disappoint. The novel is clearly advertised as volume one in a series, nevertheless, it stands alone in its own right. The ending had the surprise and satisfaction I require, while leaving me looking forward to the next book in the series. I recommend this book to anyone who loves an entertaining mystery. I give it five out of five stars as a clever and well-written novel.

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”