ARA Review by Janilou2016 of World, Incorporated

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janilou2016
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 4

ARA Review by Janilou2016 of World, Incorporated

Post by Janilou2016 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, World, Incorporated.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Tom Gariffo’s novel, World, Incorporated: A Modern Dystopia takes us to a very different utilitarian future. The entire structure of supply and demand has been replaced by huge corporations. There is no real democracy anymore. It is interesting because it is entirely foreseeable the way our current economy is going. Agent Sliver works for World, Incorporated, one of the Supercorporations controlling the market. He takes care of "problems" for the company and comes across as a highly trained operative who reminds me immediately of a Jason Bourne.

The book starts at a brisk pace, with just enough detail to intrigue the reader with glimpses into the world of Agent Sliver. When what should be a routine (for him) assignment goes wrong, Agent Sliver is thrown into a new role, of being caretaker to a woman who has every reason to despise and mistrust him. This action will also cause him no small amount of trouble with his employers, but his decision gives us some insight into his character.

Agent Sliver interacts with a futuristic A.I. on his "ship" and this was a very interesting part of the novel. I really enjoyed the dialogue interactions with the ship's A.I.

What I didn't like about this novel - when the second main character is introduced, we are suddenly overwhelmed with pages and pages of newspaper articles intended to be explanations or fill-in information for what happened to get our world to its current state over the past fifty years. I don't think this served the author well, as it completely distracted me from the story and slowed the plot. After the first few articles, I found myself "skimming."

I understand it was to help the new character and therefore, the reader fill in the gaps of the past fifty years, but I think it could have been trimmed considerably. Alternatively, Sliver could have presented some of the information in dialogue.

At one point, the author used bold print type to emphasize words. This tended to pull me out of the story, but that is just a personal preference.

The ending of the book surprised me. That's all I can say without giving away too much information. I found it a little sad, yet there is hope for a brighter future.

Overall I found this book to be action-packed and well-written. I didn't find any issues with readability (except as mentioned above), and it kept me turning pages. A futuristic thriller, where emotion and compassion have become rarities, making Sliver's actions and decisions even more critical. Quite frankly, I would rather read a great, engaging story with a few grammatical errors, than a dry, boring story that has been edited to perfection.

I rate this book five out of five stars, because most of my issues with the book were personal, rather than anything technical. Other readers might not have any problem with reading the pages of articles and find them an essential part of the story and plot. I've read best-sellers that also seemed to bog down in the middle only to pick up again to totally consume my interest. I think the author will do an even better job with the hinted sequel.

View World, Incorporated on Bookshelves
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This seems rather interesting and I've always been attracted to stories that mess about with global economic structures like this. Agent Silver's job particularly makes this all the more attractive to me and I'll be sure to check it out. Thanks!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”