ARA Review by mtnlvr71 of Blanket Immunity

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mtnlvr71
Currently Reading: Nate
Bookshelf Size: 19

ARA Review by mtnlvr71 of Blanket Immunity

Post by mtnlvr71 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Blanket Immunity.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Blanket Immunity, by Adam Van Susteren

Review

Attorney Joanna P. Channing, Jr. has always dreamed of becoming a judge. She invested ten years of her life in preparation, half as a public defender and half as an Assistant District Attorney. Perhaps she pulled the trigger too soon, because she lost her election to be a judge. Now, she finds herself at a crossroads, in a small, rather bare office, having hung out her criminal defense lawyer’s shingle. Her fantasy is to defend nice rich people who are not real criminals, but simply made a silly mistake.

She nervously waits for the first client to knock on her door. The man’s name is Brad Gecina, a cop, on leave because of a rape allegation. Turns out his story is long and his alibi solid. Joanna pulls some strings with her old pals at the DA’s office and gets Brad a blanket immunity, hence the name of the book. Blanket immunity is very rarely given as it can come back to bite you later. Brad’s case results in a nice fee. Joanna is on her way.

The next few events move rather fast. Family issues become very complicated in a hurry. She quickly acquires more shady clients who seem to be involved in some unlawful occupations. In fact, one man pays her retainer with a bag full of cash. At this point in the book, I’m wondering whether I want to continue. I’m not liking the heroine much at all. She seems to be only slightly better than her clients and is living up to some of the “unscrupulous lawyer” jokes I’ve heard in my lifetime.

Fortunately, I continue reading. Before long author Van Susteren brings Attorney Aaron Baker into the story. Aaron is a clean honest lawyer, a familiar character whom I met in a previous novel. Things begin to settle down into a happier theme of justice triumphing over wrong.

Meanwhile, Joanna’s romance moves rather fast as well. While shopping, she picks up a handsome, charming man and takes him to meet her family that very evening. Author Van Susteren seems to have a certain penchant for using somewhat crazy names for some of his characters. The new boy-friend’s name is Dzuy, pronounced Zee. That may make sense to some readers, but for me, I almost stumble over that name every time I see it. Am I the only one whose brain runs an imaginary “voice tape” while reading? Please tell me that is normal. Writers in general: please give your hero a name I can pronounce. There are no restrictions on the bad guys. Thank you very much. Maybe Dzuy is going to turn out to be a bad guy. Well, we’ll see, won’t we?

From this point on, the story takes on a dizzying display of twists and turns, keeping me in suspense as to whether Joanna and Dzuy are going to survive as a couple, and survive at all. Their efforts to do the right thing when the wrong thing would pay a whole lot better seem ill-fated, as Joanna digs herself deeper into a quagmire of events.

There were times when I was as lost and confused as were some of the characters, which is probably just what author Van Susteren intended. I won’t hold that against him.

Fortunately, as is the custom with any really good crime thriller, it all works out in the end, thank goodness. Five stars out of five

View Blanket Immunity on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”