ARA Review by Janilou2016 of And Then I Met Margaret

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janilou2016
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 4

ARA Review by Janilou2016 of And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Janilou2016 »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, And Then I Met Margaret.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret is an amazing book. I didn't quite know what to expect when I bought this book, but something about the title and the description made me want to read it. I was hooked from the first chapter.

The author takes you on a journey through his life, introducing you to some pretty amazing people along the way who guided him, mentored him and loved him along his path through this life so far.

Each chapter takes you through a part of his life, from his quiet beginnings in a working-class town, through his childhood, and his discovery that he was meant for a different path then his well-intentioned family thought he would follow.

Rob White's conversational tone made this reader feel as if she were sitting in his living room, cup of tea in hand, listening to an old friend speak of anecdotal memories that changed him into a better man who was able to pay it forward and help others in their struggles throughout this often difficult and challenging life.

What I absolutely loved about this book were the beginning and ending of each chapter, where Rob White would write a myth he'd believed to be true, write the chapter about the often inspirational and moving experience that led him to realize the truth, which he would then write at the end of the chapter.

One of my favorites was regarding Kindness. At the beginning of Chapter One, Rob White wrote, "The Myth I Believed: Kindness is an act of self-interest."

He proceeded throughout the chapter to tell the beautiful story of his Aunt Theresa when he was a child, who taught him the reality he discovered in time which he wrote at the end of the chapter:

"The Myth I Believed:
Kindness is an act of self-interest."

"The Reality I Discovered:
Kind acts demonstrate the height of love."

Each chapter contained a myth at the beginning and the reality in closing. What literary gems they are, because the author explains his insights into life through the lessons he learned. There are many good people put into our path along this life's journey to guide us, and Rob White experienced many wise souls along the way. The reference to souls is my viewpoint.

At no time during this book did the author become 'heavy-handed' in stating his viewpoint. He shared his experiences which were moving and remarkable and downright interesting, all the while reminding us that life's journey can be enriched if we take the time to listen and learn from those who have learned before us.

I'm sure I was like many readers, who couldn't wait to hear who "Margaret" was and how she changed his life. All I will say is that it wasn't what I expected, and yet it was profound and precious and beautiful.

What didn't I like about this book? Honestly, the only thing I didn't like about it, was the fact it ended. I was completely absorbed by the amazing stories, told with such a down-to-earth, entertaining narration. I couldn't wait to get to the end of each chapter, (although at the same time, I was in no hurry to rush through) just to read the "Reality" gem that was going to replace the "Myth" he'd once believed.

One of the most enjoyable parts of reading this book was the experience of hearing how Rob White took his experiences and the advice of his mentors (all extraordinary, yet ordinary people) and not only created a life of success and happiness for himself, but, paid it forward by giving other people the chances he'd once been given. Rob White has influenced other people's lives in such positive ways, and I believe he can do the same for yours too.

This refreshing story has none of the boring, droning-on of unimportant details that bogs down some non-fiction biographies. It swept me right in and held my interest until the very last page.

I rate this book 5 out of 5.

It is excellently presented. I found no errors in formatting or spelling. I highly recommend this book to any reader who would like to glimpse just how easy it can be to become a better person, by practicing the kindness and insights shared between these pages.

View And Then I Met Margaret on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”