ARA Review by pgsundling of Final Notice

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pgsundling
Currently Reading: Big Things Have Small Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2

ARA Review by pgsundling of Final Notice

Post by pgsundling »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Final Notice.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

If the topic of gun violence is important to you, this is a definitely a book worth reading. It strikes home on a number of topics including seniors, immigrants, guns, the NRA, and politics.

I once saw a news article about a schoolgirl that got killed by a stray bullet. As a reflex response to any shooting, a gun advocate commented that the schoolgirl would have been safer if she had a gun. I don’t understand how a gun protects against a stray bullet. If your viewpoint is similar to that gun advocate’s point of view, certain that guns always and only protect, this is not a book that you will enjoy.

Final Notice conveys the lack of respect, the frustration with diminished capabilities, and feelings of uselessness that many older Americans face. Anyone that’s been made to feel small or dismissed can relate. An older couple, Vince and Trudi, provide the overarching story that explores the issues of gun violence, especially among the elderly. Two different shootings involve senior citizens. Could they be related?

Vijay Patel seems to have it made with his advanced VT2 medical device prototype that’s like a super advanced Fitbit that can monitor health and even provide a final notice, a warning that tells you how long you have to live. The main premise of the book is how would you act if you knew when you would die?

When the VT2 prototypes go into human trials, a few of the testers get their final notice. This sets the main plot into motion. Once the high concept of the final notice kicked in, I felt much more engaged.

Because the book focuses primarily on the stories people facing their last days, most characters appear only briefly. This forces the book to be largely episodic, with the exceptions of three storylines: Vine and Trudi, Vijay Patel and his medical startup, and FBI agent Zoe Brouet who investigates shootings related to the VT2 prototypes.

In some ways, the novel is almost like a collection of short stories. Characters were well drawn and believable. Even secondary characters were vivid and as the book progressed, meeting new characters and seeing how they reacted to their final notice became something I looked forward to.

At first, it seems that everyone reacts to their final notice with a gun, but the reactions got more varied with some twists I didn’t see coming towards the end.

A number of subplots display how immigrants fit into the tapestry of our country in positive ways despite hurdles and intolerance. On this topic, I particularly liked the author comment after the ending that summarizes the topic well.

The novel examines the gun issue from every angle. One of the best insights I got from the book was one of the reasons for the escalation of police violence: police now assume everyone is armed. That adds extra tension to every encounter and makes possible escalations more possible. I've seen cops with automatic weapons and body armor in my condo complex before. So, that really made me think about cops assuming everyone is armed and the potential for danger is very real.

The social commentary in the book will resonate with a lot of readers. What are people supposed to do in this post-fact era? A growing climate of fear only makes guns more dangerous. In California, you don't even need training to own a gun, just the ability to pass a multiple-choice quiz.

Final Notice could have easily added extra conflict with obvious tropes like an evil corporation doing a cover-up, but chose not to. I’m glad they didn’t take the easy path.

It’s a world drawn from a tapestry of personal stories with believable motivations. The closest to overall antagonists are the NRA and profit driven legislation.

I didn’t notice any grammatical errors, but there were two locations where there were spaces between parts of a hyphenated word. That’s such a minor quibble compared to all the truth and wisdom this book dispensed through the lens of fiction.

There were a few instances where Van Fleisher does break the forth wall, or interjects humor to prevent the dark subject matter of facing certain death from weighing on readers. While used sparingly, it was an effective device.

I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars, although my own biases were completely in sync with the author’s. For a reader who identifies more with the NRA, their rating might be considerably lower. The vivid characters were the highlight of the read. I sincerely hope this book can change some minds on the important topic of gun violence. It certainly deepened my understanding of the issue and gave me an appreciation of what senior citizens go through. I absolutely loved the ending and the questions for book clubs at the end was a nice touch. This is a book worth talking about.

View Final Notice on Bookshelves
Unielain
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unielain.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Unielain »

What a well written review. As a person who lives in a country with strict gun laws, I would still like to read this book. I can't even imagine how horrible things would happen if everyone would be allowed carry a weapon. I think this book would give me some perspective around the issue.

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”