ARA Review by Linnea Tanner of Ironbark Hill

The ARA Review Exchange is a system in which authors review other authors' books, generlaly in exchange for getting their own book reviews by other authors. However, the person who reviews a author's book is not the same person whose book that author reviewed. This way, author reviews do not influence each other, such as by an author being inclined to reward a good review by deliving one in return or deliver a negative review as revenge.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Linnea Tanner
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Shadow of the Raven (Book I of Sons of Kings trilogy)
Bookshelf Size: 352

ARA Review by Linnea Tanner of Ironbark Hill

Post by Linnea Tanner »

[Following is an OnlineBookClub.org ARA Review of the book, Ironbark Hill.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The prologue aptly introduces the narrative voice of the primary protagonist, Natalie Chapman, in Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane. In the heart-wrenching scene, Natalie is a little girl who confronts her alcoholic stepfather so she can protect her mother from a beating. An example of the prose from the prologue is as follows: "I was on my small feet instantly and without feeling the coldness of the rough floor, reached the doorway and stood in the kitchen with every skinny limb shaking. The towering bulk of my stepfather was poised with hand drawn back about to strike the bleeding face of my mother ... ‘I'll kill you’ I promised ludicrously in a high shrill that reverberated in my skull..."

The middle-aged Natalie recounts the significant events around her sixteenth birthday during the early 1950's in Australia. Part-aborigine, she faces discrimination and must live under the roof of her abusive alcoholic stepfather, Alex Townsend. Even so, she views the wild landscape of Australia through the eyes of an artist, which is reflected in the rich narrative filled with vivid, sensory descriptions. Natalie deeply loves her mother, mentally handicapped brother, lovable grandfather, and sisters and will do almost anything to protect them from her alcoholic stepfather.

Alex Townsend severely beats Natalie after her efforts to save a cow from slaughter that she helped birth. So that Natalie has a respite from the tense situation at home, her mother arranges that she be employed as a housekeeper to an upper-class couple, Rosemary and Bruce Glover. Rosemary recognizes Natalie's artistic aptitude and encourages her to be a landscape artist. However, Natalie's growing infatuation for Bruce Glover leads to an affair, threatening her reputation and her dream to become an artist. Tensions heighten to the point that Natalie must make life-changing decisions on how she will handle the challenges she faces and fulfill her dreams.

Author Jennie Linnane masterfully spins a heartfelt story with rich, literary prose. Readers will appreciate how the author paints the Australian landscape with vivid, sensory words. Every character is complex so we can understand what drives them, including Natalie's stepfather. The threads of the story slowly weave together into a coherent, multi-layer tapestry. There are some unexpected twists toward the end, but previous scenes, which did not always seem relevant at the time, tie together for a satisfying and poignant ending. The story is well-edited, and I didn’t notice any editorial issues.

Overall, I was moved by this beautifully written, coming-of-age tale. The theme of how a bi-racial girl overcomes her challenges and achieves her dreams is a theme that should resonate with most readers. The story unfolds slowly, but a reader’s patience will be rewarded with a satisfying and heartfelt ending. Needless to say, I happily give this memorable read a 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it to anyone who loves character-driven stories with a flair of literary prose. An added bonus is that a reader can learn more about Australia’s culture and history right after World War II.

View Ironbark Hill on Bookshelves

Return to “ARA Reviews (Authors Reviewing Authors)”