The validity of mythic experience?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

The validity of mythic experience?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The author had a dream where he saw Jesus and this changed the course of his life. What, acoording to you, was the most noticeable change the author made in his life?
I liked that he decided to develop the spiritual insight he had during a vision quest.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

To be honest, he made a lot of mistakes. Don't we all? And I beleive he was naive and was still trying to find himself.
The most noticeable change he made was when he decided to live instead of committing suicide. If he had succeeded in committing suicide, the revelations and dreams would no longer matter because, then, he would not have been able to complete his quest.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Wow, excellent insight. Thanks you.
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

While he seemed to have many turning points, the one that I remember most was when he was depressed, suicidal, and lost all trust in himself. Then he heard a voice say he was free to do what he felt was right, that his life was full of purpose, and to be himself. He was transformed in an instant. I have found my own transformations to be much more gradual.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

PGreen wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 10:43 While he seemed to have many turning points, the one that I remember most was when he was depressed, suicidal, and lost all trust in himself. Then he heard a voice say he was free to do what he felt was right, that his life was full of purpose, and to be himself. He was transformed in an instant. I have found my own transformations to be much more gradual.
I agree that this point seemed to be the most influential in his life, at least from my understanding of the book.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

PGreen wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 10:43 While he seemed to have many turning points, the one that I remember most was when he was depressed, suicidal, and lost all trust in himself. Then he heard a voice say he was free to do what he felt was right, that his life was full of purpose, and to be himself. He was transformed in an instant. I have found my own transformations to be much more gradual.
My thought was similar. Mystical experiences can be instantaneous but it seems are more commonly born of gradual changes in beliefs. The turning point you mention is striking. Perhaps when one is suicidal the stakes are higher, so the transformation is more abrupt, necessarily. I can only validate my own experiences, but I have had realizations, in the form of words or visuals, appear to me that have altered my life in remarkable ways.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

What stood out to me was how after having that dream, he changed his mind about committing suicide. He decided to live instead. It's very powerful because even though he continued making mistakes, he chose to face them by choosing life. Maybe initially it would've been easier to not deal with anything and die instead, but the dream made him see the bigger picture.
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

I think that mystical experiences have the power to change anybody and affect their lives. However scientific research has shown that such experiences can be turned on at will by stimulating certain sections of the brain, so this makes one wonder at their objective reality and whether they are simply subjective experiences that appear real because of their vividness. It is also noteworthy that such experiences have occurred with many famous people in history and yet the nature of them seems to be determined by their religious faith. I think, more than anything else, this appears to confirm that these are subjective experiences and brought about by revelations from God or some higher being.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I think the most transformative decision of his was to decide to live instead of ending his life. From this point onward, he really changed his mindset for good and made a conscious decision to focus on the positives and build trust in himself.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I would say that deciding against suicide would be the most important decision. We all have that one moment when we have an AHA moment and decide to do things different.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

When in a spiritual path, each decision, when made consciously, is a turning point.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

nooregano wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 23:26 When in a spiritual path, each decision, when made consciously, is a turning point.
I think I would agree with this, rather than saying there was one defining moment that changed his life. Each decision takes a person on a tangential path to where he originally started out, and this author started taking life-altering decisions very early on in life, beginning with his own spiritual awareness.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

The most noticeable change the author made was deciding not to commit suicide. That was a turning point as he decided that life was worth living. He started having faith in himself.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I know that the suicide almost occurred, and he changed after that, but he also had an experience in Japan where there was a new superintendent of the school. The Christmas party was flopping, so he went outside and decided to go outside of himself to change the atmosphere of the room. He got up and sang and danced in front of everyone. His reserved self was put on hold to bring light to the entire room. I think in that small moment he even recognized a transformation.
Everything happens for a reason...
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

That voice and his visions was a boost he needed in order to create the change that exsisted inside himself. He always wanted to be happy, but its like thise experiences gave him permission to do so.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”