Mixing religious ideas

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
ReaderDean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerdean.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Re: Mixing religious ideas

Post by ReaderDean »

Perhaps by reading about different religious views, those people who have been caught up in the dogma of only one religion may find their minds broadened by exposure to other belief systems and practices. Perhaps such exposure will widen narrowed preconceptions of other religions and create a spirit of tolerance. Perhaps a widened spirit of tolerance will lessen sectarian tensions and the resulting violence so prevalent in the world.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

Personally, I do not appreciate it, and that is the singular reason why I'm less interested in reading this book.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

Sometimes I think mixing religious practices is a kind of cop-out. I don't really think of religion as a pick-and-choose kind of concept. I suppose, since this is a book more focused on spirituality rather than religion, it's okay that he endeavor in such mixing, but for the most part, I don't see how that's a focused kind of journey.
"The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him."
-Thomas Hardy
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

According to Christianity, there is only one way to salvation. I believe that there is truth that can be found in all reaches of the world that God has created. I appreciated that Haight brought in truths from some of his spiritual journeys in Asia, because those who follow Buddhism are wonderfully apt with spiritual matters. I don't believe he was telling people that options were good to have. I believe his message was that people should follow their Soul inspiration, and follow one path with faithfulness and devotion.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Ava973
Favorite Book: Before I let you go
Currently Reading: How to Stay Alive in the Woods
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Ava973 »

I really enjoy when an author compares and contrasts different ideas and sources surrounding a claim. It really adds together to create a more solid picture. I appreciate when a person can step outside their own world view and attempt to understand or educate on things they may have differing views on.
AngieGrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiegrey.html
Latest Review: Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

Post by AngieGrey »

Ekta Kumari wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 16:39 I think mixing both of these ideologies can make this book appealing to a wider audience and can help people coming from different perspectives to find a common ground. Maybe the author is trying to convey that there is something to learn from every religion and spiritual practice, if we agree to not restrict our beliefs to a specific idea.
I completely agree with the fact that there is something to learn from every religion and spiritual practice and we should never limit our self. Mixing religions will definitely make a book appealing to a wider audience as long as they are open minded. Some people might take it as an offence or/and blasphemy as someone mentioned already. I feel like we should be more open and have more respect. Over the years I met so many amazing people from different religious backgrounds and I learned so much about them and their culture. We don't know everything and at the end of the day we all believe in something. Religion is an interesting topic I feel like every person should take time to discover different religions instead of blindly following one. There is beauty in diversity and knowledge is power.
Amy4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy4.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Amy4 »

yes, the book is very diverse and enlightening as well.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Fir those who look at religion with an open mind this will be interesting. In this way many readers who belongs to different religions might be open to read it. The only disadvantage is the people who believe strongly about their religion may have problems with this.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

For those who look at religion with an open mind this will be interesting. In this way many readers who belong to different religions might be open to read it. The only disadvantage is people who believe strongly about their religion may have problems with this.
Lana Shea
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lana-shea.html
Latest Review: The End-Time Foretellers by Ran Weber

Post by Lana Shea »

I completely agree. Including different religious beliefs allows him to reach a much larger audience. You don't have to agree with everything to appreciate this book. As a Christian myself, I went into it with an open mind.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

I didn't mind it, the book is about spiritual growth after all, not religious one. But I guess there would be people who could even feel offended by that practice.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

I think it is very creative for the writer to mix religious ideas,in this manner the story attracts a wider audience since people will react differently according to their beliefs.
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

In regards to religion, we can see that the aim is to be with God someday. The author pointed it out and explained that it's the same with the goal he was trying to teach. There might be a difference in every religion, but the goals are the same.
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I was interesting in the mixing faiths and backgrounds, but there still seemed to be this consistent focus on the bible with not much thought or discussion of other religious texts. He only seemed to mix beliefs and practices where was convenient to him, and even then it was picky.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I think that since his journey includes all these different religious aspects that to not include them would have negated the point of the book.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”