Finding Jesus' bones?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Finding Jesus' bones?

Post by PGreen »

Did the author achieve the goal of finding "Jesus' bones"? What do you think of this concept?
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I think this may have been a metaphor for finding his mental enlightenment, so to speak. I thought it was an odd part though and didn't fully understand what he meant by it.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Delaney35 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 13:25 I think this may have been a metaphor for finding his mental enlightenment, so to speak. I thought it was an odd part though and didn't fully understand what he meant by it.
Cannot agree more! I faced the same difficulty of grasping the exact meaning behind it.
PGreen

Post by PGreen »

Delaney35 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 13:25 I think this may have been a metaphor for finding his mental enlightenment, so to speak.
A metaphor for finding mental enlightenment, I like that thought. I'm still thinking about the core of Jesus' teaching and how we can really know it.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

PGreen wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 10:55
Delaney35 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 13:25 I think this may have been a metaphor for finding his mental enlightenment, so to speak.
A metaphor for finding mental enlightenment, I like that thought. I'm still thinking about the core of Jesus' teaching and how we can really know it.
I think that only way to really know God is to trust that His Word is entirely true from beginning to end. If He is the Creator of everything as He states, then He is surely able to easily keep His Word and the meaning of it intact throughout the ages up to our present day. And the ultimate core of the teachings of Jesus is that He is God Himself and without that the rest of what He said and taught really has no depth or meaning.

As C. S. Lewis put it, there are 3 options:
Jesus is Who He claimed to be (God)
He was a charlatan and a liar (because of that claim)
Or He was insane (also because of that claim)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I agree. I believe it was a metaphor for him finally realizing what the root of his issues are. Its the first time I have seen this metaphor.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

I think this can't be taken literally, it must have a deeper meaning like maybe finding oneself after some negative things happen to you.
PGreen

Post by PGreen »

Delaney35 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 13:25
I think that only way to really know God is to trust that His Word is entirely true from beginning to end. If He is the Creator of everything as He states, then He is surely able to easily keep His Word and the meaning of it intact throughout the ages up to our present day. And the ultimate core of the teachings of Jesus is that He is God Himself and without that the rest of what He said and taught really has no depth or meaning.

I agree with your statement from an orthodox Christian perspective. Haight indirectly argues that we cannot trust the Bible because it has been corrupted.

And as for the C.S. Lewis quote, there are more than 3 options if you believe that not every single word is actually God's actual words. I think Haight would see multiple options here.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

PGreen wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 13:06
Delaney35 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 13:25

I agree with your statement from an orthodox Christian perspective. Haight indirectly argues that we cannot trust the Bible because it has been corrupted.

And as for the C.S. Lewis quote, there are more than 3 options if you believe that not every single word is actually God's actual words. I think Haight would see multiple options here.
The question is then that if God has allowed His Word to become corrupted, is He completely trustworthy then? He would then be the Author of confusion and just be messing around with us instead of a loving, benevolent Creator Who longs to have a true relationship with us.

And if Haight would argue that not every single word was true, then who decides which ones are the truth and which ones are the corruption? It really all comes down to faith in a truly Sovereign God and His omnipotence and inerrancy or in what we as fallible man think instead.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

It's an intriguing metaphor for sure! I took it to mean that he needed to find Jesus's true purpose. Like the real message behind the fluff of modern religion. I do think he managed his goal. This book and spreading his message probably fulfills some of that.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

I think the bones of Jesus is the legacy or the doctrines left by Christ, which need to be unearthed and activated to help gain more souls. So, to be concise, the author's main aim or work is to propagate the word of God.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I think it was mainly used as a metaphor signifying that the author was chosen to find the authentic meaning behind Jesus's teachings and then propagating it to others.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Jesus' bones refer to his core teachings. Jesus spoke in parables in the Bible, so maybe this was why he chose to appear 'boneless' in the author's dream. It is not meant to be taken literally. The author simply had to revive Jesus' true teachings and share it with the world.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I would have to say that I was really turned off by that vision because it portrayed Jesus as helpless, boneless, and weak. However, Haight thought that Jesus' call on his life was to find the core of Jesus' teaching and to share with others. The problem with finding the core of Jesus' teaching outside the Bible would seem to be a more difficult way to go, though God can speak through anything, anyone, and in many ways.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

There quite literally has been attempts at finding the bones of Jesus, so it has to be metaphorical. We use the term "bare bones" when we mean only the most essential, so perhaps he means something along those lines.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”