Overall rating and opinion of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Enigma44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma44.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight

Post by Enigma44 »

In spite of the complicated topics, the book is mostly accessible. As I was reading, a lot of times I had to remind myself it was a biographical book rather than fiction because of the numerous magical and mysterious occurrences. I like the most that there are practical tools and tips in it. I like the least the abstract part of the book which could not hold my interest for too long and I had to put away my kindle on multiple occasions. I would recommend it to open-minded people.
johnmaina17
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by johnmaina17 »

I think the book is best suitable for those who are not so much into spirituality because those who are will begin disagreeing with the writer due to the difference in personal opinions and beliefs but generally I liked the book, it's well edited and I also like the author's dimensional view on spirituality
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

PGreen wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 08:06 I thought the first part was poorly written, but Parts 2-4 seemed to be written by a different author or professionally edited. Anyone else see this? I'm still trying to decide what I think of it. Overall, I think I would give it 3 stars. Some of it was just out of my grasp and the concepts new to me.
Exactly! I was also not able to grasp a few techniques related to the understanding of spirituality. I could not believe a few incidents that happened in the author's life; e.g. - How can someone predict something through their spiritual eyes? Though some concepts were helpful, like his description of mind as a device with certain limitations.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Delaney35 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 11:30 I wasn't too fond of this book. Some of the ideas were not well explained and seemed vague. I'd give it 2 stars
I also found a few things very difficult to understand and that is the reason I also gave it 2 stars. However, I would also like to mention that there were a few concepts that were helpful for me.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

maritzaalston wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 11:46 I rated 3 out of 4 stars. Overall I thought this book was well written and that the author conveyed his thoughts adequately. The first part of the book being the best. I found the second half of the book a bit tougher to get through since this is not a particular genre that I would normally read. But I believe the author describes his journey nicely and provides the reader with meaningful information on how to meditate and release negative energy. Is this a book that I would read again? Probably not. The author does make a few interesting points when he talks about self reflection.
The first part of the book was about the author's personal life and was easy to understand. But there were a few instances from the author's life which were very hard to believe. In the second part, the author described about the techniques related to meditation and also gave the idea of spirituality. There were a few concepts in the second part which were very difficult for me to grasp. But certainly, there were some useful points as well.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

cpru68 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 01:45 I read the book, wrote a review and gave it a 3 out of 4 stars. I liked what he had to say about the instability of the mind and how we can be fooled by what we see. It really made sense to look deeper at what I believe and why.

Because I am improving my eating, I liked his discussion on food and taking care of the body. However, the part about frying up
a grub worm and eating it was a bit much! 😵

I found some of it hard to comprehend, and I tired of the word “isness”after awhile. I would say for those who like to read memoirs and spiritual material, I would recommend it. And like myself, take what resonates with the heart and leave the rest.
I also feel the same way. There were a few concepts which seem quite beneficial for me, but on the other hand, there were also some concepts which went above my head.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Michgal 32 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 13:01 I believe that each reader will translate this book differently. Mostly because of individual beliefs and the way in which the author brought out his concept.
I also think that different readers might understand it from different perspectives as per their experiences and knowledge. Like for me, it was quite difficult to understand a few concepts but some ideas resonated very well with me.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

unamilagra wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 16:24 I have not read this book yet, and I'm still trying to decide if I should give it a try. I am not spiritual or religious, and although I definitely believe in the importance of incorporating mindfulness activities in our lives, I don't really buy into any mystical-type beliefs or practices. Is there still something in this book that will be useful for me, or will I be too turned off by the "spiritual awakening" part of the book?
This is a book which is partly a memoir of the author, and other parts of the book deal with the concept of spirituality. The author has been on the path of spirituality since his childhood and has gained knowledge of it. He mentions about few concepts related to mindfulness but mostly this book seems to be meant for getting an understanding of spirituality.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

ShailaSheshadri wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 21:00 The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight is about spirituality and entertainment. The area discussed in the book is unique. Hence, It may not help all readers. If a person is interested in the topic, this book will certainly help him. This novel is not for all. Good, this book is properly edited. I would give it 3 out of 4 stars.
I have read this book and I would recommend this book to the audience who wish to know a bit about spirituality and do not mind some hard to believe incidents and complicated concepts.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Firefawkes wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 12:44 Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of the book because I could not relate to many of his actions; but because this book wasn't for me personally does not mean that others won't like it! I'd give it a 3 out of 4 stars for its profound message, even though it definitely wasn't a book for me.
I liked a few concepts mentioned in the book which should be quite helpful for me in my daily life but I could not understand a few concepts even after going through the related details several times.
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

cpru68 wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 01:45 I read the book, wrote a review and gave it a 3 out of 4 stars. I liked what he had to say about the instability of the mind and how we can be fooled by what we see. It really made sense to look deeper at what I believe and why.

Because I am improving my eating, I liked his discussion on food and taking care of the body. However, the part about frying up
a grub worm and eating it was a bit much! 😵

I found some of it hard to comprehend, and I tired of the word “isness”after awhile. I would say for those who like to read memoirs and spiritual material, I would recommend it. And like myself, take what resonates with the heart and leave the rest.
I think this is good advice. A lot of what this book has to offer doesn't resonate with me, but there are always a few things to pick up here and there. I also found a lot of the jargon a bit corny. As a rather down-to-earth kind of person, the lingo he uses doesn't really do it for me. But I found that an inward reflection is always necessary in life, and I'm glad he encourages that.
"The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him."
-Thomas Hardy
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

This book was totally out of my realm. I just didn't get it. My spiritual beliefs make this story so far fetched. I appreciate his willingness to share and enjoyed the perfectness in editing, I just had a hard time believing it.
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

I loved reading this book. I found this to be one of the greatest reads of my life. It fully resonated with my understanding of my Christian faith. I found evidence in the Bible for almost everything that was said. The one or two things I did not feel I understood or was sure of, I decided that my 'mind' was not ready for it, which the author addressed as being okay. He said that if the mind was not ready for something than you could spend time processing it at the heart level or leave it, it was up to me.
I loved how practical this book was for overcoming anxiety and depression. I have even tried using some of his suggestions and I found it very helpful. I loved this book and would read it, over and over.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Monierd_18 wrote: 03 Mar 2019, 23:29 Hmm...what I liked about this book is how well written it is. What I don't like about this book is the author's version of spirituality. When I first started to read this book I figured that it was going to go down a path I wouldn't agree with, but I read further and I was like, oh maybe this will go differently. But my views started to pick back up from the beginning when he mentioned going to friends to help him with his ankle pain and drinking "natem" to go through a lesson about how there will be an awakening and incarnation. Me being a Christian, I agree with the spiritual realm, but I also believe that we are not to dable, per se, with the spiritual realm. I won't go too much into depth of my personal feelings, but I couldn't read any further due to not agreeing with the contents of this book.
The author has been quite straightforward in talking about different religions and has mentioned in the book that all the world religions seem to have lost its true essence concerned with unbiased love for all human beings. I was personally convinced by this thought. However, there are a few things related to spirituality which I was not able to comprehend properly.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Kemunto lucy wrote: 05 Mar 2019, 08:46 I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found humour which I never expected to begin with. The writing is well done and the author's experiences are life lessons. I also loved the inclusion of different religious beliefs.
I also loved the part specifically where the author talks about different religions. The author seems to be quite clear about his understanding of various religions which try to differentiate one human being from another and in the event, the religions have lost its true essence of unbiased love for all human beings.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”