Is this book suitable for all believers?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Re: Is this book suitable for all believers?

Post by Jlbaird85 »

I am a Christian, and I did not finish this book. While I don't believe it would hinder my faith, I also don't see the point in reading things that I don't believe in. There is too much out there that is uplifting that I could be reading.
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare-As You Like It Act II, Scene VII
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

I think different people are bound to view the message of the book in different ways. As much as the book encourages you to expand your mind and examine your beliefs from a different perspective, I don't think it will appeal to all believers.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Tiffanyli
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyli.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tiffanyli »

I'm not necessarily a believer, but I do believe that there is something out there that we can't explain. I can see why this book might not be the best for people who have strong beliefs but it would be good for anyone who can come into it with an open mind. Regardless of whether or not you believe, I think that it's always a good idea to learn about religion. Just because it is not real for you it is for other people. This book could be seen as something to open up the eyes of others to different opinions and viewpoints in terms of religion. And even though it didn't change my opinion on my beliefs I can see how the book might change someones beliefs if they were read the book, looking for some sort of answer in terms of their own religion or spirituality.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

Personally I felt the book was detrimental to my belief system. The views expressed were nothing new as they are widely practiced in Eastern religions.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

I am christian and open minded. I don't see why believers should avoid any books. So the answer is yes.
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

I think that suitability depends on what season of your life/spirituality you’re in. Maybe this wouldn’t be suitable for a new believer, but could be helpful to them later on in life.
I would also say that perhaps more orthodox believers would not enjoy this book.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

I am a believer and let me just say, it was hard for me to read this book with an open mind. I had to force myself to ignore all the teaching I'd received my entire life. What I do believe though, is that this book can be read by almost anyone.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I am not exactly a believer and this book did not turn me into one. To be honest, I don’t care for very preachy books because I like to determine my own beliefs rather than have someone tell me what to believe. I can see how believers of other faiths would be frustrated while reading this but it is always good to hear another’s perspective. If your faith is solid it probably won’t be shaken.
vivalatianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivalatianne.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by vivalatianne »

Whether you believed or not it doesn't matter because if you have a strong faith then any book cannot just swayed your beliefs.
TalonFox
Currently Reading: Project ELE
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talonfox.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by TalonFox »

Fuzaila wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 13:43
He then told me about Islam, a religion that teaches that all who worship deities other than the one true God, Allah, go to Hell. Who is right? Who is wrong? Is everyone going to Hell?
I started reading this book only now, and I'm wondering if I should be doing this.
Within the first two chapters, I have already come across a child who wants to convert his parents, parents who question the child about the existence and validity of God. On one hand, I really want to see if I can decide for myself what the author claims to be true. On the other hand, I don't want it to hinder my faith or belief in any way.

Do you think this book is suitable for non-believers and believers alike? I know the author has said in his introductions that you must only read the book if you are ready for 'the great revelation'. However, even though I'm willing to give it a chance, I find that the story is already seeming to be superficial. The quote I have included above has also made me wonder why the author decides to include religion at all. I don't think believers can actually read the book with an open mind.

What do you think? Are you a believer? Has the book affected your belief in any manner? Has it made you believe in religions, if you didn't before? Or do you think this book is hindering your faith?
Do you think a book on seeking spirituality has the ability to alter your perspectives on belief, religion and faith?
As someone interested in all forms of religion, I do not see the problem in reading something of another's belief. I think that if you are comfortable in your own believes then you can explore others while keeping your faith. Reading a book should captivate you, and if it does not then put it down! Keep true to yourself and embrace the world alongside it.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

This is definitely not for all believers because of its partisan and subjective teachings. I think its an amalgamation of all manner of teachings drawn from other religions.
Daniel_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Daniel_ »

I am a Christian and so spiritual. Truly this can shake/hinder ones faith and belief but for me NO.
Nadine Forsberg
Currently Reading: The Land of Stories: Worlds Collide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadine-forsberg.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Nadine Forsberg »

I think this is a great chance for you to actually test yourself and your faith. If you find yourself wondering about the truth then you likely need to work on your faith or consider the other religion.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I don' t like to generalize and say one book is for everyone or some book is not suited for someone I really feel like is more of a personal thing. At the time is good to read something out of your comfort zone, I know I don't do it often but I always benefit from it.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Victoria zindo Jones
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Victoria zindo Jones »

Well being nations of different religious groups a book cannot determine someone's perspective about faith
Its within ourselves for me its a yes

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”