Is anyone else looking for more context?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Is anyone else looking for more context?

Post by Artizi »

Vagueness in books can be a great tool indeed, but most of the times it acts more like a double-edged sword and if not used carefully can end up ruining a good book.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Summer_Moon
Currently Reading: The Jurassic Chronicles (Future Chronicles #15)
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-moon.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin
Reading Device: 1400697565

Post by Summer_Moon »

Yes, many sections are very vague and that is rather annoying. But I suppose the author could be trying to leave it up to the reader to decide for themselves. Or may he answers everything later on.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

I don't think spiritual books are the only ones that suffer from this, but from what others are saying it's a pretty common theme among them specifically. I think this may have to do with spirituality being more focused on the self, being a feeling. It can be difficult to describe a feeling or the process and evolution of our own thoughts and feelings, and sometimes if one is trying recount them they may leave bits and pieces out. I tend to not like that myself and agree it can be confusing and frustrating. I ESPECIALLY have a pet peeve involving authors or characters referencing things (like his questions or his priorities) without having ever really covered them to begin with. :lol2:
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

i found the book vague as i was reviewing it because of some things he mentioned like 'if you are not a born again christian, you will burn in hell, i do not seem to like it.i hope he provided more justification for saying that..more content to support that
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

briellejee wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 02:10 I can relate to your frustrations about certain parts of the book. But I guess I am not thinking about them too much since I really think it wasn't that important.
I have to agree. The author has mentioned that the book has gone through a lot of editing to make the writing more efficient. Talking about the questions he had would had been distracting, since he also thought they were unimportant anyway.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

A lot of this book felt like the author was trying to describe his enlightenment, something which is hard to convey because it's such a personal experience.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

I felt the author was trying to describe his enlightenment.
Moneybag
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moneybag.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Moneybag »

HRichards wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 13:39 I struggle with books about spiritual enlightenment. I feel like spiritual enlightenment is a very personal thing that you can't really explain and recreate properly to another person. It's more a feeling, which makes descriptions of it often very vague.
You really said my mind.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”